Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Big Block Intake help!!!!!!!!!!

4spd

I have a 65 convertible with a 67 hood and a big block engine with oval port heads. I had a edelbrock air gap rpm intake which made the car run great. When I finished painting the hood and installed it, I didn't have room for an aircleaner. I bought a 2.25 drop base and still couldn't close the hood. Is there any other manifold beside the Torker 2 that will fit?
;shrug4spd

The performer 2O will work if you want a dual plane. If you intend to drive it on the street, you want a dual plane. Open plenum manifolds have a soggy throttle response and don't come to life until you are high in the RPM range. Some people will tell you they run a open plenum on the street and love it. They will also have a very low (numerically high) rear end gears and have an enigine built to operate in a high RPM band (e.g., 2800-6800). BBC motors came in corvettes with high rise intakes and they barely fit (like a 5069 intake) however, you have oval ports so you should look for an after market copy of of a GM style high rise for oval ports. Weiand makes the Stealth (8019) which appears very close to that (you may need to measure. They also make the street warrior intake which appears to low-med rise, oval port version of a GM dual plane performance intake manifold. I've heard they have a new cool new injection mold that is thinner and stronger Weiand 8123 - Weiand Street Warrior intake Manifolds - Overview - SummitRacing.com I would think that an Edelbrock Performer should fit as well. I have a 1969 GM 3163 high rise dual plane aluminum intake on my BBC in a 65 corvette and the stock BB hood closes with a stock air cleaner. It is for rectangle port heads though.

The performer 2O will work if you want a dual plane. If you intend to drive it on the street, you want a dual plane. Open plenum manifolds have a soggy throttle response and don't come to life until you are high in the RPM range. Some people will tell you they run a open plenum on the street and love it. They will also have a very low (numerically high) rear end gears and have an enigine built to operate in a high RPM band (e.g., 2800-6800). BBC motors came in corvettes with high rise intakes and they barely fit (like a 5069 intake) however, you have oval ports so you should look for an after market copy of of a GM style high rise for oval ports. Weiand makes the Stealth (8019) which appears very close to that (you may need to measure. They also make the street warrior intake which appears to low-med rise, oval port version of a GM dual plane performance intake manifold. I've heard they have a new cool new injection mold that is thinner and stronger Weiand 8123 - Weiand Street Warrior intake Manifolds - Overview - SummitRacing.com I would think that an Edelbrock Performer should fit as well. I have a 1969 GM 3163 high rise dual plane aluminum intake on my BBC in a 65 corvette and the stock BB hood closes with a stock air cleaner. It is for rectangle port heads though.

Thanks for your help, I am pulling off the torker 2today and going back to the drawing board.

The RPM Air Gap is a good manifold choice for that engine and it's an excellent choice if you've got the valvetrain and cylinder head combination to use its port volume. In short this means, some ported heads, maybe bigger intake valves and a more aggressive camshaft.

As for the hood clearance issue, you can try fooling with "dropped base" air filter assemblies but, you drop the base too much and the space between the carburetor and the air cleaner top gets too restricted and you begin to loose performance and that problem becomes more acute, the higher the rpm range.

In the end, if this engine is going to run much past 5500 rpm, you're probably going to need to add hood clearance and go to an air filter assembly with a "less dropped" base.

The RPM Air Gap is a good manifold choice for that engine and it's an excellent choice if you've got the valvetrain and cylinder head combination to use its port volume. In short this means, some ported heads, maybe bigger intake valves and a more aggressive camshaft.

As for the hood clearance issue, you can try fooling with "dropped base" air filter assemblies but, you drop the base too much and the space between the carburetor and the air cleaner top gets too restricted and you begin to loose performance and that problem becomes more acute, the higher the rpm range.

In the end, if this engine is going to run much past 5500 rpm, you're probably going to need to add hood clearance and go to an air filter assembly with a "less dropped" base.

Thanks Hib
I do have larger valves roller rockers and a nice porting job. I found a K&N flow control with a drop base and with a 16 x3 1/2 " air cleaner brings me up close to where I need to be and flows over 1000 cfm.. The only draw back is that it is for a Holly carb. I switched back to the air gap manifold today and I am waiting for a friend to get back from GA next week. He will bring over one of his Hollys and we can measure. It looks like it might hit the valve covers. They are pretty tall with those roller rockers. I have quite a library of corvette info and they really didn't make too much for the 65 thru 67 big block vettes. They must of thought it was the "End all be all"
4spd

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom