Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Big Blocks and Swave Dave!!! Help

• Thread starter Thread starter crebo
  • Start date Start date
C

crebo

Hey!
Been reading the spec's on your car SwaveDave. I currently have mine back in the shop. I had a 396.
I'm looking at a 454 or 496. I already have a few things that will crossover to the shortblock----edelbrock heads, edel air gap intake, headers and 850 demon carb.
Tuff question....Which engine would you go with now after having yours. I know differ strokes for differ folks. But would you go with a more cubics? or are you just fine.
I have a 3.08 rear....gonna change after I get the engine straight.
I mean the engine has to come out. I will make a decision by Wends. to get the ball rolling.

Any advice is appreciated from anyone.

Crebo

I'm no Dave but I will chime in anyway. I have had 454 and 468 in my 79, both making the same power & torque numbers. To be totally frank, I couldn't feel any difference. IMO 3,08 makes great final ratio for BB vettes. I'm using 2,73 with 1:1 fifth gear.

Thanks groovyjay

I didn't mean anything by calling Swave dave. I read his spec's at the bottom of all of his post. I just I could have wrote it up just alittle better.
If you don't mind me asking what type of #'s were you making with both?
I'll get my project started tommorrow or thur's...Really looking forward to it. My wife isn't....I'll just have to hold out on my paint job.....
Do you have an overheating prob with the big block? Any suggestions before I get it started.
I'll decice on the rear after I get the engine finished.

Thanks for the info:

Anyone else with any knowlegde is more than welcome to give me advice. I need it.....

Thanks Crebo

I thought you were aiming this post directly to Dave, that's why I said I'm no Dave, ok enough with that. My carbed 468 made 535hp@4900 and 528tq@3800 and my current EFI'd 454 makes 540hp@4900 and 552tq@3600. I used to have some major overheating problem with the old 3 core radiator and stock fan. Now I'm using BeCool alu rad. and 11" Spal Duals (pullers) no over heating problems since.
:beer

Do you have a/c on your big block?

Wow!!!

I like that power. I plan to have #'s like that. I'm working with Scott in Costa Mesa,Ca. Trying to figure the best set-up between the 454 or the 496.
I do have A/C.... that's why I'm worried about overheating. I do live in the desert and have had issues before. I will look into a better radiator..
I was just wondering about how my gearing will work with the set-up. I was thinking of going to 3.73 after the engine is straight. I have a overdrive trans. 700r4 from Bowtie Overdrives...
You really got me excited about the hp/tq #'s.

I know that I'm just rambling. But tommorrow I make the desicion....

Last question do you remember the spec's on your carbed engine. Heads/cam/compression.. ?

Thanks

AussieWithNoVette

You can search the web. There are many distributors out there i.e. E-bay..Summit Jeggs etc.

I would get a crate engine but I would loose the money that I've put in heads intake. So I'll have a reputable engine builder put a short block together for me.

Good luck

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom