Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Biggest wheel/tires for '69 conv.

R

RodsbyRad

I just got a '69 Convertible and want to get some new wheels and tires for it. It's a daily driver and will have regular street/strip duties. I also want it to handle well, so I'm looking for the biggest meat I can get under there without cutting glass...although I'm not opposed to that if required.
I'd like to run something like a 17x11 or 18x11 on the rear with maybe something 8.5" to 9.5" wide on the front.
I've heard you can get offset trailing arms but haven't found any info on them yet.

How about some info!

Rad...

Welcome Rad,
If your not opposed to cutting glass it will be alot easier to haul some Big meat out back. I have rear fender flares so currently run 10" rims with 305's which provide a 12" footprint.

No need for the offset trailing arms if you go with flares. 69 MyWay has some posts with pics if you consider this option. Check back aways for his in depth coverage.

Good Luck
John

I don't want to run fender flares. Is there not a way to tuck them inside? I would rather cut glass inside the fender (like you would if you were narrowing the rearend) than run a fender flare. I'd rather not have to do that either if possible.

Rad...

Rad,

Welcome to CAC. You know it is possible to put C4 rims under a C3 with adapters from one of the many vendors. My point is that a C4 rim is typically a 9.5" adverstised width (inside beed to inside beed) which means they are just over 10" wide total.

So, more or less, you cold go to a 10" rim all the way around with the correct back spacing. You have to push the rim in a tad closer to the frame. It seems to me you can always get away with less back spacing because if you rub things, you can get a spacer to push them further out.

So, I would suggest considering a 9"-9.5" adverstised width rim of your choice in a 5" back spacing front and rear (that means the physical width of the rim will be 10"-10.5"). It should fit and if it rubs the suspension in the rear, just go to the local autoparts store and get one of those .25" spacers to get it out.

I believe the style rims Black Thunder is running actually have a wider edge to edge width than the adverstised. So, he has a 10" rim, but I am sure he is more like 11.5" total then the tire baloons up a tad above that number.

So, ask lots of questions before you drop the $$$$ because most rim companies will not give you a refund if they don't fit!

That would give you a wicked wide foot print and stuff those fenders solid!

offset trailing arms

First off...welcome to CACC.
Mid America Designs Inc. (www.madirect.com) has offset trailing arms for: 1963-82 corvettes. They allow use of wider wheels (up to 10") and tires without modifications. IE: Cutting out wheel wells. PN 602-686 $399.99/ PAIR.
So anything wider, you will have to go with different rims or flares as 69MyWay mentioned. Good Luck Sarge :w

Re: offset trailing arms

SARGE81 said:
First off...welcome to CACC.
Mid America Designs Inc. (www.madirect.com) has offset trailing arms for: 1963-82 corvettes. They allow use of wider wheels (up to 10") and tires without modifications. IE: Cutting out wheel wells. PN 602-686 $399.99/ PAIR.
So anything wider, you will have to go with different rims or flares as 69MyWay mentioned. Good Luck Sarge :w

Thanks for the welcome. So if I run the offset arms, you mentioned 'go with different rims', does that mean I could also use some larger offset, say 5" and go with a 10.5 wheel? Larger?

Rad...

offset arms

Rad,
If you want to go wider than 10" with the offset arms installed on the car.... then I am suggesting that you figure out what back spacing you would need to achieve the desired width you are looking for. But first I would call Mid America (800-500-vett (8388) and ask them how many inches offset these arms have. Also what amount (inches) of rim backspacing is recommended to get a wider wheel under the wheelwell. By the picture I have of these (arms) they have a pretty serious offset to them. So I would imaging that a 5"or larger offset would be feasable. But to be on the safe side call them. Everything has limits. Who knows, they might tell you 10" is the max for safe operation with these arms. Hope this helps. Sarge

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom