Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Bilstein Shocks

hcolon

Corvette
1999 c5 coupe
I need some opinions. I keep hearing Bilstein all over the forums and before I go out and spend my hard earned$$$, I wanted all you folks with them to tell me to Bilstein or not to Bilstein. I have the base suspension with Z-06 sway bars and base springs. Tell me what it does for the ride, what does it "feel" like. Also, which one's, the HD or the Sport. Your valued opinions por favor!
Herbie

I can't help on the bilsteins, unfortunately but I'm also considering the Z06 or Z51 bars on a base suspension. What is your opinion on the setup and why are you also upgrading the shocks? Thanks.

CSDMagred01 said:
I can't help on the bilsteins, unfortunately but I'm also considering the Z06 or Z51 bars on a base suspension. What is your opinion on the setup and why are you also upgrading the shocks? Thanks.

Carmen, I just think the base ride is too wobbly. It doen't have the firmness or crispness, It's hard to explain. Also, when you go over potholes, even small ones the car changes direction and is slow to get back. The car seems to want to track creases and seams in the road as well. When I upgraded to the Z-06 sway bars it got better. Also, I have driven the Z-06 and the ride quality is far superior just in it's base form. I suppose that's partly due to the stiffer springs, shocks, fatter sway-bars and supercar tires. So what I am looking for is that ride quality. The Z hugs curves and it's comfy on long drives, and it's not all over the road. And it has the right feel, not harsh. The base FE-1 is a liitle SOFT in my opinion. So I wanted to get feedback from FE-1 owners who have made the switch to get thier input.
Thanks for the reply!
Herbie

Herbie,
Thanks for the reply. That's what I was looking for. I have the same issues with the base suspension, it wanders and shifts direction on rough roads, but rides soft. I was concerned about ride quality from the Z51 or Z06 bars, but I know the ride comes from the springs, shocks and tires while the transient response comes from the bars. I've never ridden in a Z so I couldn't compare. That was good input.

Bilstein shocks are right up there with Michelin for durability.

I have original Bilsteins on my 220k Vette and 220k Mercedes. Still shocking fine.

One time many years ago I had a set of Bilstein on a Mercedes with 210k. Out of a feeling that shocks should be changed with that kind of mileage I replaced all 4. I had only a tiny tiny bit of difference. Every since then I just never have had to change any Bilstein.

I have a 2000 6 Spd Conv. w/Z51 Suspension. I installed 2002 Z06 front and rear stabilizer bars and new aluminum links. I couldn't believe GM actually puts on "plastic" stabilizer links on these cars. I also put 18" wheels on the front and customized the alignment to compensate.

The ride is excellent. It's on rails going around any corner. "Test" corners I was having fun with before became tame. There was one corner that was a blast at 55 mph. After the change over, I stopped before the car did at 72 mph. It's got a bit of a harsh ride, but I always want that feel in a Corvette.

I didn't change shocks and won't. This ride is just right! When I add something, it's got to have a substantial difference for me, it costs too much to change just to say I did.

Chuck

Carmen, you are quite welcome. That's what these forums are for, so we can share ideas! The wandering problem I have heard is partly due to the GY run-flats. So I am switching to Michelin. I have heard they are alot better, quieter, and do not have that wandering tendecy. I beleive the shocks will help, but I also believe that the springs are softer and that contributes. I am not sure. So my thought is to change tires and shocks first (since I did the Z06 sway bars and links already) see what happens then decide on any spring changes if needed. This way I know what it actually was that made the change, again, if any. In Chuck's case,
he has the Z-51 setup from factory which means he has the Sachs monutube shocks, not Delphi as in FE-1, and the stiffer spring rates to match, which in my opinion is why he has not any ride quality issues, then with the Z-06 bars, even better. The FE-1 suspension is the one in question......
Herbie

FrankM said:
Bilstein shocks are right up there with Michelin for durability.

I have original Bilsteins on my 220k Vette and 220k Mercedes. Still shocking fine.

One time many years ago I had a set of Bilstein on a Mercedes with 210k. Out of a feeling that shocks should be changed with that kind of mileage I replaced all 4. I had only a tiny tiny bit of difference. Every since then I just never have had to change any Bilstein.

Thanks Frank for chiming. I have heard that from everyone who has ever had them. I already ordered my set from Ecklers today, should get by Monday. When installed I will let everybody know
what the deal is......
Herbie

CSDMagred01 said:
Herbie,
Thanks for the reply. That's what I was looking for. I have the same issues with the base suspension, it wanders and shifts direction on rough roads, but rides soft. I was concerned about ride quality from the Z51 or Z06 bars, but I know the ride comes from the springs, shocks and tires while the transient response comes from the bars. I've never ridden in a Z so I couldn't compare. That was good input.

Get the Z-06 sway bars, better bang for the buck and don't forget to change all four links to the metal one's that come stock on the Z-06. You can get a package from Fichtner Chevrolet. Ask for Bob Wendorff. I comes with the bars, metal end links and the washers and bushings for around $300. his email is:

corvetteparts@hotmail.com
Herbie

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom