Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

BLACKDOG Is Gone.....

Yoda

Administrator
Corvette
1981 UL5
This morning Howie, a friend from Fremont, CA sent a message saying our mutual friend and Brother BLACKDOG passed away Tuesday May 15th from what appears to have been a major heart attack.

dawg2.jpg
dawg01.jpg

Many here know and remember my ole pal, my wing man of many a trip. We made the cross country run from California to Bowling Green two years in a row, 2001 & 2002, plus many other adventure in our old C3’s enjoying life and meeting many folks along the way.

Many memories of my Old Pal BLACKDOG… aka The DawG come flooding back, I will repeat a couple of our wandering around the country.. and try to say some nice things about a dear friend and Brother..

BLACKDOG (DawG) was an individual, somewhere between Normal and Not so Normal just like the rest of us .

I met DawG during a weekend Corvette excursion to Yosemite National Park. Little did we know we would become great friends and begin a journey that would span ten years and thousands of miles of companionship and shared travels.

Our friendship was instant and has lasted through M&M tossing outbreaks, battery exchanges every 3 hours to weekly Golf, BBQ’s and DawG’s introducing to the Corvette Action Center Community to “Bender Wars.” All these stories I hope to pen. How he got his handle BLACKDOG and travels across at least 18 states and thousands of miles of friendship.

DawG and I met at Coulterville, California along with a few other couples for the run to Yosemite. It took a few hours of talking and BS’ing then it dawned on me that I had seen his car somewhere before… We compared notes and the light went off in both our heads…. We had admired each others cars at a Corvette show held at Lodi, CA..
It was a really hot July or August in 1998 and Nanc and I entered Rare (our 1981) in a Car Show at Lodi, California. As one would do I walked the field of fiberglass making note of my competition and taking in all the Corvettes from every generation. When I saw this gorgeous Black 1980 Corvette, I didn’t meet owner until the Yosemite Run!

From this moment forward we forged a friendship and the feeling of being true brothers.

Through out the next ten years we experienced a lot through our Corvette Brotherhood. Met a lot of great folks and made some memories that will never be forgotten……

One that comes to mind is a run across Wyoming the first week of September 2002. Somewhere on I-80 between Laramie and Rawlings we found a Quad Stereo Station playing Moody Blues… We chased the sunset into twilight and ran from the rising Full Moon. The air was cool with a twinge of Fall in her breath. The stars seemed to dance and play as we galloped along the highway. It was like having no sense of time, distance wasn't a destination and reality faded into the music.

Trips like this with friends like the “DawG” are what owning a Corvette and living a dream are all about…. ... It IS the TRUE meaning of owning and driving America’s Sports Car .... it's a real Corvette Experience, a LifeStyle. For an hour, or hour and half that night with the Universe showing and sharing it's secrets making perfect memories that can Never be forgotten or giving away. These are very special times shared with a close friend that will forever be itched in time and my memory.

I would be amiss if I did not mention my old pal DawGs obsession that everyone have a great experience to hell with a good time... it was all about the EXPERIENCE… thus the Corvette Action Center CruiseFests have all been highlighted with a simple little Blender and some wild concoctions that are secretive in nature yet know by all that attend… The DawG bestowed Evolution1980 (Andre’) with the keys to the Blender and the Title of ”The Blender General”… long live the legacy. Toast one to BLACKDOG!!!

Like many others that have made our Hobby so much fun, DawG will never be remembered in the hall of fame of famous Corvette Folk, but he shall live forever in the heart and soul of ”Blender Wars” and the Corvette Action Center Community..

Gods Speed Jeff…

Bud

A fitting eulogy for one's Corvette buddy if I ever read one! Sympathies at the loss of your friend, Bud!

Let's all give "DawG" one last Corvette :w as he rides off into the big sunset. I think I hear the Moody Blues playing too...

Sad News. I never met him, but I heard the stories.

RIP BlackDog

Bud, sorry for the loss of your good friend. Like Dwayne said, may he rest in peace.

Very well written, Bud. Jeff was a really great guy. As soon as you met him, you knew he was a great guy and he became a friend. I always hoped that our paths could cross again.

Until we meet again DawG.

AWWWWWW Bud, THAT SUX! Friends are hard to find, good friends even harder to find,
but someone that you consider to be a brother doesn't come along very often at all. It's
good that you have all of those memories, and you should get them on video and send
the video to DawG's family. Really sorry to hear that he's gone, Bud.
Andy Anderson. :w

RIP DawG!

I was one of the fortunate ones who met DawG and I also took an instant liking to the man. Was always hoping he would be able to make another CF. He will be missed by all.
Barrett

I only met him once at one of the CAC get togethers in Bowling Green and took an instant liking to him. I was just asking Bud about him the other day and am truly sorry to hear of his passing.

Really sorry to hear that Bud! I got to know and like him when we caravaned to Colorado Springs for Cruisefest from Amarillo. A really fun guy and nobody made a better Mud Slide. Jeff will be missed.

Aw, Bud... that is indeed sad news. I was not lucky enough to meet Jeff, but between the banter between you two here and the memories you've shared of him in the past, I knew him to be a fun-loving man and a Corvette brother to all. He will be missed I'm sure.

I wish I could say something to ease your pain and comfort you but I know from experience that you will have to come to terms with it in your own way and in your own time. Just know I'm thinking of you and I hope you'll be able to pull out more and more good memories of great times you shared together, keeping him in your heart always.

Jane Ann

Sorry for your loss Bud.
Although I never met him,it sounds like he had a good time wherever he went!!!
he will be Missed....

I would be amiss if I did not mention my old pal DawGs obsession that everyone have a great experience to hell with a good time... it was all about the EXPERIENCE… thus the Corvette Action Center CruiseFests have all been highlighted with a simple little Blender and some wild concoctions that are secretive in nature yet know by all that attend… The DawG bestowed Evolution1980 (Andre’) with the keys to the Blender and the Title of ”The Blender General”… long live the legacy. Toast one to BLACKDOG!!!

Like many others that have made our Hobby so much fun, DawG will never be remembered in the hall of fame of famous Corvette Folk, but he shall live forever in the heart and soul of ”Blender Wars” and the Corvette Action Center Community..

Gods Speed Jeff…
510494017_8e2f1b45a5_z.jpg
...Right here, this picture. This is where my relationship started with Jeff and what became the genesis for Blender Wars. I believe this was taken during SharkFest in Bowling Green in late August / early September 2002. (Wow! Almost 10 years ago!)

Jeff was one of my favorite CAC people that I ever had the pleasure of meeting. Unfortunately, due to distances and his prior health issues, our time spent hanging out was unfairly short. But in that short time, especially that time in 2002, Jeff made an impact on me that would really shape me, my participation at CruiseFest, and the whole CruiseFest in general!

Blender Wars was at first nothing more than a joke between Jeff and I (and whomever else was in earshot). Jeff's belief was that anyone hanging around 'after hours' without a smile on their face needed a little bit (or maybe more) of the happiness and frivolity that was being blended up in his blender. Me, being the young punk that I was, I made fun of his el-cheapo, use-it-for-a-weekend-then-throw-it-away $20 blender purchased at the local WalMart. I said, "Dude, what's that junk? My VitaMix blender will make better drinks! Hell, my VitaMix would blend up your weak excuse for a blender!" And thus, the game was ON! For the couple times Jeff and I met up at a CruiseFest, we'd each fire up our respective blenders and make sure that anyone around, even non-CAC folks, had a glass of Goodness in their hand. It didn't really matter which of us was making what. The contest, if there was one, was to get as many people socializing, laughing it up, and making new memories for as long as we could.

Jeff's presence had a way of making everyone in attendance feel like part of the group; part of the CAC Family. This was something that I tried to bring with me to each CruiseFest I attended. And it was this presence that I did my best to preserve with "Blender Wars". When it came to CruiseFests, even when the schedule of events wasn't nailed down, there was one event that everyone knew would take place: Blender Wars! The only question ever raised was "Where is it and When???"
Come hell or high water, electrical outages and blown fuses, Blender Wars was going to happen! And there wouldn't be a shortage of smiles and great conversations to go around.
While I managed to make "5-star Blender General", I never missed an opportunity to toast Jeff- to give him his propers- and bestow upon him the higher rank of "Blender General Emeritus".
I know that my name is associated with Blender Wars, but I don't want anyone to forget that none of this would've been possible without Jeff.

The CAC has lost a real diamond. I have always missed being able to see him more than I did. Now especially because I know it's going to be even longer before we meet up again. But we will. And like it always was, I know he'll be waiting with a smile on his face and a full pitcher of Goodness just waiting to be emptied so another one can be blended up!

This picture from CruiseFest 2007 in Colorado Springs was the last time I was able to hang out with Jeff.
Cheers, My Friend! You are truly missed...

Attachments

• 439390797_21620b3e0d_z.jpg
    439390797_21620b3e0d_z.jpg
    88.4 KB · Views: 140
What wonderful tributes to one of the most unique characters I have ever had the pleasure of meeting in person. People like this are never truly gone for they leave impressions on us that last forever.

:w Dawg.

Sorry Bud, yes indeed, good friend are few and far between. If in a life time you only have a couple of real good friends then you are blessed. Memories last a life time and so will your fond thoughts of the Dawg.

God Bless

BlackDogs Celebration Event

Jeff "DawG" Alexander's Celebration of life.
July 14, 2012 @ 11:00 a.m. (PDST)
50's Roadhouse Resturant, 18341 Kennedy Road, Knights Ferry, California
Just off of Hi-Way 108/120 between Oakdale and Sonora.
The "POSSE" and "Mother Lode Corvettes" would meet at this spot for lunches and story telling.
This was one of DawG's favorite places.
The owner of the resturant will immortalize DawG's picture by hanging an
8x10 picture of him under the Beatles record album cover for eternity.
His picture will be on the wall with Elvis, James Dean, Frank Sinatra to name a few. What an honor.
Their is a picnic area so if you plan on coming to this celebration bring your lawn chairs.
There we can share stories, lies, embelishments of the memories of our friend DawG.
I have few choice memories of DawG myself.
There will be a banner for all to sign their farewell on. This will be sent to his brother, Greg, who lives in Arizona so that the family can share in this celebration.
Hope to see anyone that can make it. His old Motorcycle Club from Woodland California will be there as well as his golfing buddy's.
Hey Yoda, the president of the "POSSE". I will be forwarding any pictures of this event to your hotmail email address or get ahold of me through my email at howie0353@y----.com. Thanks Bud. I loved that guy. The BLENDER KING!!! DawG.
Howie
The "POSSE". "BRUTAL - JUST BRUTAL"

:thumb Thanks Howie..

I wish Nanc, Sophie and I could make the send off... Lord knows I have a few stories about the DawG..

I suggest to anyone in California that is near the "Roadhouse Restaurant", Knights Ferry, (Hi-Way 108/120 between Oakdale and Sonora) to make this event!! Howie is ONE HELL of a promoter and KNOWs how to throw a Partee :dance ...

Thanks Howie for keeping me and the CAC abreast of what is happening...

Bud, Nanc and Sophie

I just learned of Jeff's demise last Friday while visiting with Jim Rose at the El Rey Inn, in Santa Fé, New Mexico. It totally took me by surprise. And he passed on the day before I had gone home to care for my mother, so my worries for my mother made me oblivious of his passing.

Ironically, it is in Jeff's demise from which we learned the idea which drove his life -live life to the fullest because when it is over, it is over, and you can't take anything with you.

I had the fortune to partake some of his life's teachings, theories, and common philosophy on life while at CAC, and a more true folk there has been none.

Bud, I feel for the loss of your best friend, and thank you for making our paths cross with the likes of Jeff Alexander.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom