Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

blah blah brakes

lobes290

Corvette
1979 white l-82
I know this one has been beaten into the ground but' im tired of the brakes on my 79, heres the story...about 2 years ago i had some rotor-run-out issues ie; air pumping, so i took it to a covette guy that i knew, he said he "shimmed" the rotors, that worked excellent for a few summers. Just yesterday i pulled it out of the garage for the first time this summer and the pedal went straight to the floor, i took the cap off the master cylinder to see that the front reservoir was bone dry and the back was full. so i took a look at the calipers and the front pass. was pretty much soaked, it looks like one of the piston seals is blown out. So i guess that im in the market for some calipers. I am pretty poor right now so i was thinkin a pair of stainless reman from autozone for like 70.ea I want to get back on the road asap cause this is pretty much the best week to live detroit (woodward)...so in conclusion to this rant; do you guys think i should scrap this week and order them form VBP or throw some autozones on??Thanks-Anthony

craig32

Corvette
1981 repainted black coupe
Anthony,
If this is the first you had it out this year, you probably don't drive it enough to need the hi power brakes. I had the same problem, replaced one caliper that was leaking (and the shoes - if they're soaked, they're ruined) bled them out and it's fine. I've put just over a thousand miles on my car in just under two years, so I'm plenty happy with stock replacements. Just my opinion.

Craig

PS - I'd think the best week to live in Detroit would be the one that ends with the day a million or so of you see the Red Wings Stanley Cup parade. . .again, just my opinion!

B

Bradleywrench13

Anthony, Hey my bro lives in White lake. I grew up in Livonia. As you can see I'm in Iraq now. Hey I had the same problem several times on my 67. I bought 2 from Autozone, and rebuilt 2. If I let the car wet for more than a week or two, one of the dog gone calipers was going to leak. I finally bought a whole kit from Corvette Central (there in 3 Rivers MI) I think the kit was $399 and came with Stainless Steel sleeved calipers, pads, and the rubber lines. I had the car for another year and a half and no problems, even though it sat from November when I left to come over here until I sold the car in April. I would have saved myself alot of time and agony if I had just bought the kit to begin with. Good luck, and God Bless
Steve

fine69

Corvette
'69 Convertible Vette; '72 Z28 Camaro Rally Sport
Anthony,

I am also looking for one replacement Delco-Morraine caliper, and found this on eBay (Gulf Coast Corvette): http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Corv...emQQcategoryZ34199QQihZ014QQitemZ330015544416

They have a 100% feedback rating and over 400 sales. I'm gonna give them a try (but I pay-off some other priority bills first!).

Anyway, check 'em out, I think they may have a better price on calipers than Corvette Central.

Ralph

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Win Both Corvettes!

Win Both Corvettes and Get Extra Bonus Tickets Now!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Parts/Accessories:

Dead Center Foundation

Vetteskins

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Partners

Top Bottom