Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Bleeding the power steering on a 75...

A

Ala75Vette

My 75 vette has had a quite leaky power steering system since I got it. From looking at the ps control unit, it looks like a previous owner unsuccessfully attempted to 'rebuild' it. I've purchased a rebuilt control unit, have replacement hoses, and have a gasket kit for the cylinder. I also got instructions for how to replace/rebuild the ps from http://www.zip-corvette.com/psr.htm although one of the steps is to 'bleed the ps system.' Does anyone know how to do this? And any other advice on performing such surgery on a 70s corvette power steering system would be appreciated..... I want to eliminate my leaks, but having a properly functioning power steering system AFTER I'm done is important, too. Right now it works fine, I just have to add ps fluid about every other week....!!!!

Bleeding procedure:
Step 1: fill reservoir to the proper level with engine off and let stand for 2 minutes or more. Start the engine and let it run for 2 seconds only. Add oil to proper level, then repeat this procedure until the oil level remains constant.
Step 2: raise the wheels off the ground and run the engine to about 1500 rpm. Turn the wheel right, then left, lock to lock (lightly), and re-check oil level. If the oil appears to be foamy, go have a beer, then repeat the procedure again. There are more tests and procedures that can be done if this doesn't work, but they will require special tools to test the steering pump pressure.

You should adjust the balance of the control valve. This must be done after bleeding is completed, you will need to disconnect the cylinder ram from the frame bracket first. The adjustment is located behind the press-fitted dust cap.
Step 1: start the car. If the cylinder remains retracted, turn the adjustment nut counter-clockwise till the cylinder just begins to extend.
Step 2: turn the nut clockwise until the cylinder begins to retract.
(reverse steps 1 and 2 if cylinder extends upon startup)
Step 3: position the nut exactly mid-way between the positions found in steps 1 and 2. When properly adjusted you should be able to manually force the ram in or out.

An improperly adjusted control valve will cause harder steering in one direction.

Thanks a million, Big Fish! It may be a week or so before I can take the time to do this job, but when I do I'll let you know how it turned out. Thanks again......!

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom