Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Blend door Choke Cable Pictures

Check to see if the motor is working. Pull the passenger side hush panel down and have someone change the temperature setting from 90 to 60 while you watch the motor. You should be able to see the rod on the top of the motor that connects to the blend door move. If it does the plastic clip that holds the rod to the door is broken. If not it could be the motor itself or the programmer. When mine didn’t work the resistors in the programmer were loose, just needed to re-solder them and the motor worked again.
Good Luck!

Blend door question, redux

A seller on ebay is selling them for 29.99 as we speak. Maybe I should break down and buy one.
Hard to replace??
The reason i ask is that I have the FSM.
It says
Remove heater core
remove blend door motor.
Sounds easy, except that the FSM says to remove the heater core you need to first remove the 'Upper trim pad.' (that's dashboard to us laymen.) Then there are about 28 steps to get the heater box out.
I'm aware that there are often ways to get a job done faster than the shop manual says, if you're willing to lie upside down on the floor of the passenger compartment.

I'd also like to check the 'programmer' for bad resistors. Is that another name for the head unit above the radio?

Thanks!
Paul

It’s been a while sense I did mine but I had it all apart to change out the core. If I remember correctly you can actually gain access to the motor by removing the hush panel and ECM. Be careful when taking the plastic connector off the top of the motor so it doesn’t break they are hard to find..
The programmer should be just above and to the right of the accelerator pedal. It will have a group of plastic vacuum lines which can become very brittle and an electrical connector. It’s a box about 3 ½ x 5 or so. Hope this helps! :beer

Global Warming is making me crazy!

Thanks, Doghouse! I'd like to take logical steps to regaining air conditioning. It wasnt working when I bought the car, so it's hard to know where to start. Since my vacuum operated devices seem to be OK- Hi-Lo, Defrost, etc.- I'm reluctant to play with anything that has vacuum hoses attached. I've seen the warnings about brittle hoses.
But removing the hush panel and the ECM doesn't sound so bad. Like I said, Ive seen blend door motors pretty reasonablly priced on ebay, so that may be my next step.

Or maybe I can get hypnotized to like 130 degree temps!! ;LOL
Thanks!

Good luck there very hard to find for a Eary C4 vett trust me on this one.

Some venders want some big buck for them I seen a new one in the box going for $300.00 on E-Bay.

This why I posted pictures of a cheep fix untill you come a cross a cheep replacment.

Good Luck.

As for a Programer I picked up a new in the box for $225.00 Ya it was a lot but it was new Most used one I seen looked worst than the one I had.

Thanks, Doghouse! I'd like to take logical steps to regaining air conditioning. It wasnt working when I bought the car, so it's hard to know where to start. Since my vacuum operated devices seem to be OK- Hi-Lo, Defrost, etc.- I'm reluctant to play with anything that has vacuum hoses attached. I've seen the warnings about brittle hoses.
But removing the hush panel and the ECM doesn't sound so bad. Like I said, Ive seen blend door motors pretty reasonablly priced on ebay, so that may be my next step.

Or maybe I can get hypnotized to like 130 degree temps!! ;LOL
Thanks!

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom