Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Blowin' Fuses

B

BBB454

Over the last few years the fuse for the turn signals will ocassionally fry. The last couple times it's happened I've been able to just put in a new fuse and go on my merry way.

After the paint job I had a problem with the right front turn signal lamp. Then the fuse blew. I took it back to them and they replaced the bulb, we put in a new fuse, then we noticed that the reverse lights weren't working. So they messed around with it a little bit, then the reverse lights were on all the time. Ordered a new reverse light switch and had them install it just before Sharkfest and everything was fine. Then a few people at Sharkfest told me my reverse lights weren't working. OK, fine I can live with that for now. Turn signals worked fine during the whole trip (over 160 miles on the car during the weekend). I drove it to work yesterday and had no turn signals again. Got out of work, popped in a new fuse thinking I could at least have signals for the ride home, but no. It blew again immediately.

OK, sorry for the long story. My simple question is, is there a common place on Sharks to have a short that would cause this problem? I'm looking at the Service Manual now and can't find anything that's really helpful to me (I need hubby to help me read the schematic and teach me how to use an ohm-meter).

Any ideas on even where to begin looking?
Thanks,
Barb :w

Wish I could help Barb but all I can do is offer moral support and then advise to go have a beer:drink. Of all of my many mechanical limitations electrical is the worst.

Bob

I would have to do some checking and I'm fixing to go, but I believe that the only place they all come together is the turn signal switch located in the steering column,but I dont believe the reverse wire goes there(I mean why would it)Ok I took a minute to look at the schematics, mine shows two wires coming off that fuse -1) going outside to the reverse switch then back in and to the reverse lights-2)going through the signal flasher and then to the switch in the column. the only place I see these two systems together is at the fuse. But since both operate off the same fuse, a short in one would blow the fuse and you would loose both. Since the problem originally seems to be in the reverse lights I would start there. Cant go in more detail right now, running a little late. Maybe as people get online, some with more experience will chime in with some help.

Barb

Get the car in the air and inspect the reverse switch...the switch assy ( from the factory ) was dubious at best in it's design ( IMHO )

I'll bet the switch has broke.. and the power line is resting on some metal.. so NOW you have instant POOF!

I'm assuming stick..right?

The switch lives on a 2 pin V connector
Pink ( hot w key on )
Lt Green ( switched leg to B/U lamps)

Have a crawl..unplug the switch..replace fuse

Vig!:w

I believe Vig is right on with this one... I had/have the same problem. I have tried many attempts to keep the wires connected on the switch and every once and awhile they still come loose... When they do they either leave the lights on all the time or blow the fuse immediatly. If anyone has a good fix for this switch I would love to hear it!!

Interesting... I didn't even think about the turn signal switch in the steering column, but I've been having a problem with it for awhile too. It'll switch the left blinkers on no problem, but when you want to put the right blinkers on you have to play around with it a little (kind of pull it towards you before you push it up). Might be time to pull the steering column apart. :puke

The reverse switch was just replaced (again) before Sharkfest (I also had it replaced right after I bought the car 5 years ago). Hopefully this didn't fry it again. :(

Thanks to all for the help!
Barb :w

Could be just the pink wire got

Got pinched.....

Vig!

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom