Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Blown Engine?

S

SteveF

Last week the engine in my 1984 C4 let go while on the highway at 80 mph. Compression tests show about 50 lbs in each cylinder. Timing chain / gears are okay so I believe the problem is in the block. So here's my question. Does the corvette use a block that's specific to a vette or can an "ordinary" 350 block work? Will the heads, intake, ect work?

I got the car to drive & have fun with & don't enter it in shows, ect so I'm not concerned with the devaluation of the car that the use of a "non - corvette" part could cause. I would like to know if I need to find a corvette block / engine or can use a standard 350 block. I've even asked my local chevy garages & they're not sure.

I had driven the car about 70 -80 miles earlier in the day. Had just stopped for gas and while back on the highway for about 5 minutes the engine started to lose power & a loud rattling sound began. Engine then shut down. No loud "booms" , ect. Engine would turn over but not fire, even sounded like there was low or no compression when trying to restart.

Appreciate the help & thanks in advance :cry

Seems unusual that all cylinders would have the same low compression figures. Have you actually examined the timing chain and gears? The only other possibility I can think of would be a broken cam. I have seen catalytic convertors plug so solid that the engine would not start too but have never checked compression so I don't know what effect would be seen if that was the case.
Can't answer your block question for sure but believe they are the same, most vettes have 4 bolt mains. Good luck.

To answer your question ANY SB CHEVY engine will fit in your car but I don't think you need another engine. Remove the distributor cap and have someone crank the engine over with the starter and see if the rotor is turning.
I'm thinking that it won't. If it don't turn you lost the timing chain

Definitely check the timing chain. Sounds like it jumped or snapped.

I'd have to agree...if you lost compression to all 8 at the same time you probably don't need a new one.

There is nothing "special" about your block. It is just a run of the mill TWO bolt main non-roller cam block. When I rebuilt mine I used a '92 truck engine as a base.

Bill

Don't you just love it when they come here for info then won't bother telling you with a follow up post what it took to get it running again.

Don't you just love it when they come here for info then won't bother telling you with a follow up post what it took to get it running again.

I agree, but suppose it is just a reflection of our society, seems many people have forgotten common courtesy or just never learn what it is. Once their problem is resolved the forum is forgotten until the next time they have a question. The sad part is that without feedback much of what the forum has to offer is lost.

yes

I agree, but suppose it is just a reflection of our society, seems many people have forgotten common courtesy or just never learn what it is. Once their problem is resolved the forum is forgotten until the next time they have a question. The sad part is that without feedback much of what the forum has to offer is lost.

What you said:(

Lets keep it on topic guys, maybe he just hasn't had time. He might be calling places about parts, repairs etc etc. It has only been a week.

Black Bart, Toptechx6 & John Robinson,

You three need to get a life. I came to the CAC for help, NOT to be criticized.

I want to send a big "THANKS" to "Vettefan87", whom I don't know, but came to my defense.

Not that I need to explain but, FYI, I was away all week vacationing with my family & didn't have access to a computer & just arrived home today. I also haven't spoken to my mechanic to find out what he may have found wrong with the car. Being he has a family & is off today I don't plan on bothering him until next week unless he calls me.

I planned on posting a reply once I knew what the exact problem was & will once I know.

Since I'm a rather new Vette owner, only 2 years, I've had several questions answered by members of the CAC & always appreciated the help.

I've also been able to answer a few questions, which made me feel pretty good. I don't recall getting an email or post replying to me & never thought any less of the person. But, that's me I guess. I don't worry about such trivial things.

Well, I guess I "vented" enough & I'm sure this post will open up a "can of worms".

The CAC is a terrific site & please keep up the good work. It's a great help to a novice Vette owner like myself.

I want to send a big "Thanks" to everyone who has posted an idea on what my problem may be & also to those who have helped me in the past.

Thanks for the help

Well, I guess I "vented" enough & I'm sure this post will open up a "can of worms".

Nope it shouldn't. Just let us know what the mechanic finds out. I am very interested in knowing what was wrong with it. Hopefully you can get it back on the road shortly to finish out the driving season!

Nope it shouldn't. Just let us know what the mechanic finds out. I am very interested in knowing what was wrong with it. Hopefully you can get it back on the road shortly to finish out the driving season!

Vettefan87,

Thanks. When the car shut down it really gave no indication of what broke. I'm very curious myself what let go both for what's wrong & since I'm "footin' the bill" :D

Didn't realize how much I miss driving the car until not having it to hop into & taking it for a ride!

Black Bart, Toptechx6 & John Robinson,

You three need to get a life. I came to the CAC for help, NOT to be criticized.

I want to send a big "THANKS" to "Vettefan87", whom I don't know, but came to my defense.

Not that I need to explain but, FYI, I was away all week vacationing with my family & didn't have access to a computer & just arrived home today. I also haven't spoken to my mechanic to find out what he may have found wrong with the car. Being he has a family & is off today I don't plan on bothering him until next week unless he calls me.

I planned on posting a reply once I knew what the exact problem was & will once I know.

Since I'm a rather new Vette owner, only 2 years, I've had several questions answered by members of the CAC & always appreciated the help.

I've also been able to answer a few questions, which made me feel pretty good. I don't recall getting an email or post replying to me & never thought any less of the person. But, that's me I guess. I don't worry about such trivial things.

The CAC is a terrific site & please keep up the good work. It's a great help to a novice Vette owner like myself.

I want to send a big "Thanks" to everyone who has posted an idea on what my problem may be & also to those who have helped me in the past.

Thanks for the help

Sorry if we took your total lack of response the wrong way Steve but suppose we figured your dramatic BLOWN ENGINE? post was an urgent request for help? I'll be sure to take your vibrant exciting life into consideration next time and your mechanics weekend plans too, promise. No need to let me know what he finds I can fix my own car.

Sorry if we took your total lack of response the wrong way Steve but suppose we figured your dramatic BLOWN ENGINE? post was an urgent request for help? I'll be sure to take your vibrant exciting life into consideration next time and your mechanics weekend plans too, promise. No need to let me know what he finds I can fix my own car.

John Robinson,

Thanks for your message. I guess I was venting too. I read many of the posts placed on CAC & they have been very helpful over the past 2 years.

toptechx6,

Thanks for taking my "vibrant exciting life into consideration". Other than that you're not worth the time to post a response.

;squint: Okay. Let's all move forward and remember that we're on the same team.....and we're all less-than-perfect human beings.

Bob, could you please speak for yourself? :rotfl

SAVE THE :w

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom