Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

"Blue Devil Corvette" What Do You Want?

Rob

Site Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Corvette
1990 Corvette ZR-1
If all the rumors floating around are true that a super-high performance Corvette called "Blue Devil" does exist and may become reality in the future, given what we already know about the upcoming Z06 and what we may see on that model, what would you want to see on the "Blue Devil" in terms of options, features, design?

Assuming the 2006 Z06 will sticker between $65,000 - $75,000 where do you think the Blue Devil should be priced and why?

blue devil

I heard that the blue devil 'vette would have have 600+ HP.

I'm kind of hazy about sticker pirce.

Why not have performance options

Well, there's the Z06-and eventually they will build tens of thousands of them. Now there's talk of the Blue Devil that will perhaps overshadow the blue devil to a much greater extent than the Z06 exceeds the "standard" vette.

Being an OLDGOAT I natually think of the past. I think of the days when you could order a 300 hp small block, 340 hp fuel injected screamer, a 396 that would peel your face off, a 4 barrel 427, a 400 hp tri power 427, the king 435 etc etc etc etc.

So what's wrong today? One size fits all is what's wrong. No engine options without ordering essentially different cars altogether. And then option packages like Z51 that are too all inclusive.

If they make the blue devil and it is more powerful and race car like, i'll wait even longer and hope like hell it doesn't exceed $80K. I also will be hoping for allocation...I'll just have to convince my boss to let me do a sold order at gm employee pricing...still a damned expensive car, but we're all car queers and if they offer an option of more power in our jammin' pushrod V8's...i'll be lining up to get mine... :beer

Blue Devil

I was in Detroit last week and stopped by Les Stafford "The Corvette King" and was told the Blue Devil will be 100k plus, if they make it? They are testing one in Germany now. There are spy photos on the web. Word has it a full tank of gas was burned up in 16 minutes at full throttle!

Aside from 150+ more hp than the C6 Z06, I think the body styling should leave no doubt in ones mind that it’s at the top of the Corvette hierarchy.

Cost? I would say under $100K to showcase what can be accomplished by Corvette engineers. The C6 Z06 is a heck of a lot of car for a base price of around $65,000...at that price, what can compare? I think GM can hit another home run when it comes to this car too when it comes to pricing.

B17Crew
:w

This all sounds good, but

Theres always a but, given GM's current situation, I would not see much chance for a production Blue Devil. Remember with even the number of members here on this board, we are but a small amount when it comes to production levels for breakeven costs. Just guessing here, but I would guess that if every member of this board, signed up to purchase a Blue Devil, it would not justify the cost or reach a breakeven point.

As for me and I will probably get stomped on for this, they could go back to manually operated windows and doors, keep the HUD and DIC. Just eliminate most of the fancy electronics, e.g the serial ports for checking everything.

bcollopy said:
Word has it a full tank of gas was burned up in 16 minutes at full throttle!

Sounds like my car after 16 minutes idling! :)

Why?

ajla said:
Don't call it "Blue Devil".
I didn't make up the name but I like it so I think I will call it the Blue Devil! What do you think?

bcollopy said:
I didn't make up the name but I like it so I think I will call it the Blue Devil! What do you think?

I would like it the official final name to be something like Zr-1, Grand Sport, Z06R, or maybe Corvette SS.

"Blue Devil" doesn't have the reputation to me that those other names would have. Also would a yellow one be called "Yellow Devil" or still "Blue Devil"? Or maybe they would only offer it in blue?

Of course, I think that "Blue Devil" is just the project name, not what GM is actually planning to call the car if it is released to the public. (I think I saw that it has something to do with a Duke alum who was working on it.)

Good Luck!

The early rumors I heard were high price--over 100K, and a supercharger to get maybe 650HP.
If this were true, it leaves open the issue about the rest of the car. If Corvette takes a Z06 and puts in a supercharger (maybe a Vortech, like Ford has done), but doesn't modify the rest of the car, it will encourage owners to order their own superchargers, for a lot less money. But if they try to upgrade the whole car, the engineering will be very expensive, and it takes multi-digit sales to pay for that.
One reason Corvette has a long run of success is mass-production and pricing for the masses. The Z06 has been a successful variation from that theme, but I'm not sure another corresponding 40-50% price hike will be as well received...
Gersh

Blue Devil

ajla said:
I would like it the official final name to be something like Zr-1, Grand Sport, Z06R, or maybe Corvette SS.

"Blue Devil" doesn't have the reputation to me that those other names would have. Also would a yellow one be called "Yellow Devil" or still "Blue Devil"? Or maybe they would only offer it in blue?

Of course, I think that "Blue Devil" is just the project name, not what GM is actually planning to call the car if it is released to the public. (I think I saw that it has something to do with a Duke alum who was working on it.)
It was to catch Wagner's [the new president's] attention. I don't think it has anything to a color.

Didn't Dave Hill say that there was no such car? He said that the blue car at the Nurburgring was a regular C6 Z06.

I spoke with the folks at the Corvette Museum and they say there is such a car being tested but do not know if it will ever be built? The body style will be a Corvette style, like the Z06, so you can't realy tell what is under the fiber glass? Changes to the skin would be the last thing they would do if the design concept is approved. You have to hand it to those engineers they keep hammering away!

Think that I'd heard the name "Blue Devil" was a small cut at Ford. Something to do with their "Blue" Ford logo

Scott

DRTH VTR said:
Didn't Dave Hill say that there was no such car? He said that the blue car at the Nurburgring was a regular C6 Z06.

I'm with DRTH VTR on this one. I don't believe there to be such a car and have no expectations of a Corvette with higher performance than the Z06.

Scottsredvette said:
Think that I'd heard the name "Blue Devil" was a small cut at Ford. Something to do with their "Blue" Ford logo

Scott

Blue Devil is a reference to Duke University, and an alum exec at GM who will have much to say about the future of that project. Will he cut a project named after his Alma Mater????

Could it be that the car running around called the Blue Devil may be an engineering car working towards the C7 generation. Things that make ya go Hmmmmm

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom