Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Body Flex w/ Top Out

Legion21

Corvette
1996 Torch Red LT1 Coupe
Wow, I went for a drive on Sunday and decided to take the top out. I was only the 3rd time I've done this since I've owned the car, and the 1st two were short little runs. I can not beleive the amount of flex with it removed. When I started driving I thought I had a tire going down because of the vibration, then I started to suspect that maybe, a tie rod or something in the front end was going. I pulled the car over and did an inspection to make sure that everything was good. I could literly see the entire front end torqing everytime I hit any kind of bump.

I do have to say when I got on newer paved roads it drove great with no excessive play, it was only on roads that were in need of repaving that it did this. Also by the time the drive was over I had got used to the feel of the car with the top out, and it didn't bother me. But the 1st 15 minutes of the drive I thought my car was coming apart :)

Greg

I've had my top out quite a few times and have never noticed anywhere near that much flex. Maybe the previous owner installed the vert. cross brace in mine. I need to get under the car and have a look. :D

My vert flexes a LOT. I've noticed it a lot more since we've gotten the 99 FRC and since the 99 is SO stiff it makes the 95 feel that much worse. I can feel the flex entering elevated parking lots and it's enough for me to move on. It's a beautiful car, love the lines, but for me I will need to step up to a C5 or C6 vert to be happy.

Leon

Some C4 coupes seem to flex more than others with the roof out and some drivers have more sensitive 'butts' that others when it comes to noticing the flex. I'm one of those. I never liked driving my C4's with the roof out. My wife didn't seem to mind at all.

Topless and shakin'

Sometimes that 's OK!

The design engineers had a cow when the style guys told them to make it a targa instead of a t-top. Your wonderful race car is now a slinky! That's what the big rail is for when you fall in and climb out.

Lots of shimmy in the steering wheel and unsettled handling is the result. Cross bar and camber brace seem to help. Also a tacky targa truss you can bolt in.

I just enjoy the sky and wind and fugettaboutit.

You have now discovered the C4 coupe dirty little secret! Mine did the same thing when I first took the top off. I thought the damn front end would shake off, it's freaking amazing...you wonder why they didn't put the cross bracing on the coupes also?

look at old road & track mags. they said the same thing way back in 1984. i am thinking about the front chamber brace for mine, i here that helps too. i think coil over shocks would help over the trans verse leaf springs too. next time i drive with the top locked on tight i will have to pay more attetion to the handling and then when its off, i don't think i have noticed to much so far?? but i mean how strong can 1 torx bolts in each corner of the top make it any way?? and being a old C3 guy i really miss the old T-top levers you just had to pull and remove one of the tops. you could do it seating at a light... and those torxs bolts never change the hole spand of the 1984-1996 C4's?

Topless... The C4’s Achilles’ heel. I’ve always felt that it’s not a bother on roads/highways that are in decent condition -- the chassi is more behaved.

But driving with that top off is a great feeling, nice to have the sun and breeze coming in to keep me and the Beach Boys company.

Observation: I’ve found that listening to Metallica:_rock in my LT4 seems to make me speed.) :ugh

B17Crew
:w

tlong said:
Perry Como makes me speed. Len too.

:L ;LOL ;LOL ;LOL :L

Believe it or not, I saw Perry in concert. The girl that had the tickets that asked me to go was too pretty to turn down.

B17Crew

If you have the FX3, set it to the soft touring setting when you have the panel out. A bit more of the road shock is dissipated. Not as good as the cross brace, but it will help in the interim and makes for a nicer cruiser on somewhat bumpy roads.

Of course, all bets are off when the road is really bad!

Are you all suggesting that the convertable with the X brace is more stable than the coupe with removable top? I have never had a coupe and my convertable seems stable enough.
Glenn

once the tires heat up,it ain't all bad...check the pressure in them to be sure.. that will cause more shake....had the top off for two week's now...sure gett'in use to it..notice the complete difference once it's back on....it is another wonderful option.... to experience two different, automobiles in one unique package. i love the c4's ability, to bring out the sensation of contact with the road,the translation of grip, and driver confidence input through the chassis, that stresses the machines limits. ...drive well my freind's.......

I installed a Cross Frame under my Z-07 coupe and it made a dramatic improvement in shake reduction. Only notice cowl shake if I cross a big discontinuity in the road surface.

[FONT=&quot]Installed a camber brace two weeks ago and it made a big difference in the front end. With the top on the wheel doesn’t shimmy over bumps feel's really sold. With the top off it reduces that wobbly not in control feeling. Doesn’t completely get rid of the frame flex but goes along way to reduce it. Worth every penny![/FONT]

Hardlight said:
I installed a Cross Frame under my Z-07 coupe and it made a dramatic improvement in shake reduction. Only notice cowl shake if I cross a big discontinuity in the road surface.
I guess I should add that after I had the Cross Frame for awhile, I added a Camber Brace and an S/T Frame (roll bar) because I wanted to get every inch of the performance in the Z-07 package when I autocross. With everything I've added, its as stiff as a tuning fork now and really handles very well and also doesn't squeek.

Gee...and I thought the top off gave the car a softer ride. I usually have it off most of the time. I guess it sort of grows on you after a while.

i try to only drive my vette on sunny days just so i can have the roof out!!!
to me, and this is only me but i can really see a fiberglass with metal frame roof panel that only has one screw in each corner stoping that much flex? i mean if the roof panel was made of something more and had say 6 or 8 screws holding it in place, maybe? any body know what the crush lbs of our roffs are in a roll over???

C4 Shake

Legion21 said:
Wow, I went for a drive on Sunday and decided to take the top out. I was only the 3rd time I've done this since I've owned the car, and the 1st two were short little runs. I can not beleive the amount of flex with it removed. When I started driving I thought I had a tire going down because of the vibration, then I started to suspect that maybe, a tie rod or something in the front end was going. I pulled the car over and did an inspection to make sure that everything was good. I could literly see the entire front end torqing everytime I hit any kind of bump.

I do have to say when I got on newer paved roads it drove great with no excessive play, it was only on roads that were in need of repaving that it did this. Also by the time the drive was over I had got used to the feel of the car with the top out, and it didn't bother me. But the 1st 15 minutes of the drive I thought my car was coming apart :)

Greg

YOU ARE NOY ALONE THEY ALL SHIMMY WHEN THE TOP IS OFF...RICK

Instant Fix

WONKABOY said:
YOU ARE NOY ALONE THEY ALL SHIMMY WHEN THE TOP IS OFF...RICK

THEY SELL THIS BAR THAT BOLTS IN TO THE HOLES WHEN THE TOP IS OFF CALLED "TARGA TRUSS" BLACK OR CHROME ABOUT $500.00 I'M YET TO GET ONE , THEY LOOK HOT TOO!!!:r

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom