Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Boral exhaust

lcjstoy

Corvette
96 Collector Edition, 06 orange coupe
I just install a Boral stinger exhaust system on my 02 conv.
I couldn't be happier, it sounds as good as it looks.
I think I made the right decidsion!!!!
Len

Congrats, Len!
I have the quad ovals with the x-pipe and love that sound.

:w
Guy

Hey Len,

I'm running the Borla Stingers with oval quads and an x-pipe just like the "guy" on the thread above me. And what's the deal with these license plates?..:L

Remo:cool

I have the same, quad-ovals with the x-pipe.
I think they look better than the round tips because
everything on the back of the car is oval but everyone
has their own opinion I'm sure.
They sure sound good.
Len

I'm thinking about doing the borla update. I had the car on a lift the other day to change the oil and was looking at the x-pipe, which I wanted to change as well. Looks like the cats are welded to the factory x-pipe. How is the updated x-pipe installed? Do you have to cut the x-pipe in front of the cats?

Charlie

I'm thinking about doing the borla update. I had the car on a lift the other day to change the oil and was looking at the x-pipe, which I wanted to change as well. Looks like the cats are welded to the factory x-pipe. How is the updated x-pipe installed? Do you have to cut the x-pipe in front of the cats?

Charlie

Charlie,

The x-pipe replaces the stock h-pipe. The cats are located forward of that section of the exhust system.

Remo

When I looked at the h-pipe it sure looked like it was welded to the cat pipe. It did not a clamp securing the two pipes together. Did you install you borla system yourself?

Charlie

Remo,
Silver/Char81 asks a question I've been curious about, too. Did you do the Borla installation as part of the Lingenfelter upgrade, or had you done that previously?

-Patrick

Charlie
All of the aftermarket cat-back, 50-state legal X-pipes (Corsa, Borla, Manaflow, Bassani <-- my personal favorite) require that you cut your factory H-pipe aft of the cats and 02 sensors. I did mine myself and it was a fairly straightforward job. Just remember measure 2 (or 10) times, cut once;). If you have trouble figuring out where to cut by measuring, you can attach and align the new x-pipe to the factory H-pipe with some velcro straps then mark the h-pipe with a sharpie just ahead of the flare in the new pipe.

Good Luck!

Eric,

So you would drop the factory h-pipe and cat assembly, overlay the x-pipe on the h-pipe and hack saw the h-pipe off, leaving enough of the cat pipe to insert into the new x-pipe and clamp it. Thank you

Charlie

Remo,
Silver/Char81 asks a question I've been curious about, too. Did you do the Borla installation as part of the Lingenfelter upgrade, or had you done that previously?

-Patrick

Remo had his Borla's installed at Carlisle and I installed mine own a few months later at home.

We both had the X-pipe welded on at a local exhaust shop.

:w
Guy

Remo

When I looked at the h-pipe it sure looked like it was welded to the cat pipe. It did not a clamp securing the two pipes together. Did you install you borla system yourself?

Charlie

Charlie - I thought your concern was around the possible lose of the cats if you installed an after market X-pipe. I know my dad often reminds me that four years of engineering school didn't do much to improve my cognitive skills. :L Having said that, here's what to do when you get your new X-pipe.
  1. Take your new x-pipe to a muffler shop and have them install it. The entire operation will take about 30 minutes. The fit will be perfect and you won't have to endanger your life with all that home jacking and placement of shacky jack stands.
  2. They'll remove your stock H-pipe, do the measuring and pipe cutting.
  3. They'll install you new x-pipe using the supplies clamps.
  4. Your cats will remain on the car and will in no way be compromised.

Remo,

-Patrick

Patrick,

The Borla system, (including x-pipe) was on the car when it went to Lingenfelter.

I took mine to a local performance shop that specializes in Corvettes. I had them install Kooks headers and an X-pipe. It was all bolt on and no cutting or welding required. I had a Corsa exhaust system already installed. I dyno'd the car before and after and gained an additional 20 hp at the rear wheels. You can save some $$$ by doing it yourself, it's all bolt-on from the headers to the rear chrome tips.

Even with high dollar jacks and ramps there is not enough clearance for me to do anything other than basic things, like oil changes, in my garage.

BTW, headers have come a long way. I had them on my old GTO's and Z-28's. They were nice hp adders but, a pain in the back side when a gasket sprung a leak. I think you'll enjoy the new generation headers.

Go for headers AND an X-pipe!

By all means, do whatever makes YOU happy. It's all about miles of smiles.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom