Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Borla Muffler Installation 1976

wrc3

Corvette
1976 L-48
I just purchased two borla mufflers in an attempt to replace the rusted mufflers. The current Y-pipe under the vehicle is not stock, but appears to be near stock specs. When trying to fit the Borla's the angle is waaaaaay off and would be impossible to secure the with out really bending the y-pipe and even extending it on one side.

Has anyone installed a set of these on a 1975-1980 corvette? Did you have similar problems?

B

Sorry, I never installed a Borla, but it is not uncommon to have to get the rear exhaust section custom built to best fit the mufflers.

We put a set of Melotones on my buddies 77. The muffler shop had to twist them and rear do the rear "Y" pipe section for the different angle.

What are the physical measurments of the Borla?

Borla Measurements

Sorry I don't have the measurements handy, but I checked directly with Borla and they assure me that is the proper part number and muffler. So I guess a heads up to anyone that purchases a Borla for a 75-80 vette that you will need to fab a hanger, no big deal, and bend the Y-pipe, which may actually be a pain in the butt. Regardless, I am returning mine and going with the Flowmaster. I have seen several other posts here and it seems as though people really like that muffler for their 70 era vette.

B

wrc3,

Though I don't have a C3, I did look at the Borla mufflers for the C4 in the Ecklers catalog and they said something about buying Borla's Y-pipe. And doesn't Borla claim that their pipes are "mandrel" bent so that the bends are consistent?

Wouldn't an inconsistent bend disrupt air flow and therefore disrupt the tone to your mufflers?

Y-pipe

I actually talked to the tech at Borla and they only make the y-pipe for the C4 and C5, nothing earlier. I also asked him if there was another aftermarket Y-pipe he could suggest and he didn't know of any. To be honest he lacked a lot of knowledge for a tech. That is another reason I am just returning them and going with something else. But, yes I believe you are right about bending the pipe. The angle at which the Y-pipe would be bent would actually narrow the pipe and therefore probably reduce the airflow to the muffler. I mean it is really off not like 10 degrees or anything, more like 25 degress.

B

Re: Y-pipe

wrc3 said:
I also asked him if there was another aftermarket Y-pipe he could suggest and he didn't know of any. To be honest he lacked a lot of knowledge for a tech. That is another reason I am just returning them and going with something else. B

I'm sure someone makes one out there, he just didn't want to lead you to the competition.

Those Borla's are quite costly and just like you, I would've expected better customer service than that. Have you checked out the Ecklers catalog or website?

Ecklers

Ya I actually ordered the Borla's from Eckler's. 500.00 bucks for the pair. I think what I am going to do is take one of my original mufflers to Speed Unlimited and see what High Performance muffler fits. I have heard the Flowmaster, but the direct pass thru of the dynomax seems like it would allow for more HP.

Regardless, I am now about 40 bucks in the hole, shipping cost to and from Eckler's that I will never see again, and still no mufflers.

B

Re: Ecklers

wrc3 said:

Regardless, I am now about 40 bucks in the hole, shipping cost to and from Eckler's that I will never see again, and still no mufflers.

B

We all feel your pain brother! I do believe that it was someone on this forum that mentioned what a bear it is to put those Borla's on.

Are those Dynomax's stainless like the Borla's? I was looking through some of the C3 exhaust parts a few weeks ago and noticed that they also have a "off road use" only true dual exhaust setup. What's up with that?

That "off road use only" true dual exhaust system is the one advertised in Mid America.I have that system on my car.That off road use disclamer is so they don't get in trouble with the emmision authorities.

BURGLAR,

Thanks for getting that question for me, I did fail to mention that it was from the Mid-America catalog. Does it really affect emissions at all? With a true dual exhaust, I'm sure you would get much better flow, tone and power right?

BullWinkle said:
BURGLAR,

Thanks for getting that question for me, I did fail to mention that it was from the Mid-America catalog. Does it really affect emissions at all? With a true dual exhaust, I'm sure you would get much better flow, tone and power right?

It is not emission legal because it is a straight/dual exhaust system with no CAT in the middle. That is the reason it can't be sold of legal highway use. Since he is putting it on a 76, it would be in violation of federal emissions standards.

Dynomax

Well I went with the Dynomax from a local speed shop. I am installing them friday night and I will post monday to let you know how they worked....or didn't.

B

Do antique vehicles have to be emissions compliant as well?

Vintage or Antique

I actually just looked this up and according to VA laws you can pay a one time fee to have your "antique" vehicle registered for life. Once registered it never has to be inspected again, so theoretically you could put whatever you wanted on it after the inspection. The antique plates do "restrict" the use of the vehicle though saying you are only supposed to take it to car shows, parades and the occasional drive. So theoretically I can get away with it, but it would be technically illegal. This is just for Virginia mind you and I am sure it is different in each state.

B

Emissions on exhaust

That is about the same deal in PA.I have classic tags,one time registration{about $100}.

Dynomax

Well the Dynomax are installed and overall I would say I am pleased. There don't have that "sound" of the flowmaster, but that doesn't matter to me, and they definitely are a performance upgrade. So overall, pretty pleased, and at half the price of the Borla's.

B

I've been looking at a few options for my 88' and I've pretty much narrowed it down to the Flowmaster or Dynomax. I'm ruling out the Borla because of the cost, $500 for a pair of mufflers just isn't in the budget right now.:(

And I actually thought that some C3 performance parts would cost less. I'm definitely going to get another Vette' next year. I'm really torn between a 91' and a C3.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom