Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Bose Amps

B

born2saw

I just bought a 1990 6-speed convertible (Teal, 36K miles) from the original owner, a physician I work with. He had the Bose checked out by the local dealer a few months back and was told a 4 amps needed replaced. He declined because they wanted $1500.

My brother is an electronics techincian who works for Thompson and has access to all kinds of special tools. He tells me he can fix my amps for pennies if he has the correct info.

What I need is a circuit diagram for the Bose amps. Or, at the minimum, decode all the color coded wires on the plug into the amp.

Does anyone have this diagram in a service manual the could scan and post/email or know where I can find one on-line??

Appreciate the help.

BTW: I have the best wife. She said under no circumstances should I sell the 1975, I should just go ahead and get the 1990!!:upthumbs

Here is a link for you http://www.batee.com/corvette/boserepair/index.shtml

but do your self a favor. Junk the Bose and put a good stereo in your Vette. When the Bose was new it was a piece of crap. As my Mama used to say, ¨You can’t make chicken salad out of chicken ***t.

I don't know the answer to your question, but, if your car is the factory 'turquiose metallic' you have one rare car. My dad had a '91 in that color, and between 90 and 91, they only made a handful of 6-speed's in that color, and only a few of them were convertibles. If I remember correctly, the guy who bought his car said they made 22 of them between 90 and 91. (he wanted my Dad's car so bad, he flew from Ohio to Florida, paid asking price, and drove it back home)

Yes it is turquoise metalic with saddle topo & sport seats. It has virtually every option, only 36,000 miles, and I bought it from the original owner. This was the car dealers demo in 1990. The Indy 500 festival car was similar, but with black top & interior and I believe they were all automatics. I also got one heck of a deal on this car-about $3-5K less than I have seen similar 1990 convertibles advertised for.

As for the stereo, I am considering replacing the whole thing, but if I can get by for a few bucks & wait til next year I will try to fix it.

Thanks for the info. I will post pics soon.

be careful with the paint. Chevy had problems with it fading. keep a heavy coat of wax on that car, it is one of the few C4's that will really pull a premium just for the color combo.

I spent thursday giving the exterior the complete treatment. Wash, clay bar, scratch remover, prewax & wax. She looks great. No fading that I can tell (the paint on the headlights matches the hood).

My brother thinks he found the problem with my amp. It needs two $2 capacitors which he has ordered. If this works, I will give him the other three amps. If not, I may just get a whole new system.

Thanks for the replies.

born2saw said:
I just bought a 1990 6-speed convertible (Teal, 36K miles) from the original owner, a physician I work with. He had the Bose checked out by the local dealer a few months back and was told a 4 amps needed replaced. He declined because they wanted $1500.

My brother is an electronics techincian who works for Thompson and has access to all kinds of special tools. He tells me he can fix my amps for pennies if he has the correct info.

What I need is a circuit diagram for the Bose amps. Or, at the minimum, decode all the color coded wires on the plug into the amp.

Does anyone have this diagram in a service manual the could scan and post/email or know where I can find one on-line??

Appreciate the help.

BTW: I have the best wife. She said under no circumstances should I sell the 1975, I should just go ahead and get the 1990!!:upthumbs
KBSproducts.com
I notcied that Mr Ken Anderson has just joined us here on the CACForum
He is a standup guy and can help you out.
I recently bought a set of front speakers/amps and enclosures for my 90 coupe from him. His company is great to deal with.

Jason

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom