Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Bose or not to Bose, this is the question

Corvette Emma

Corvette
1989 Medium Blue Metallic
I searched some past forums and did not find anybody that said anything good about the Bose system. I am a new owner and yes my Bose speakers are doing the snap, crackle and pop thing. I searched the internet and found a company (FCSR - Factory Car Stereo Repair of Florida) that is familiar with this problem and will rebuild the speakers/amps for $80 a piece with a "Lifetime Warranty". I will then replace the AM-FM-Cassette with a CD player from a 96 Camaro.
Does anybody out there have anything nice to say about the Bose system. OK, I don't want to be bias so you can feed me the bad stuff too. I want to stay as stock as possible but also enjoy some tunes.
I look forward to hearing your comments.

Lee

If you are looking for state of the art sound, the old BOSE can not compare to what is out there now. On the other hand, in it's day, the BOSE system that came with your car was "State of the Art."

I'm torn right now whether I want my car to have that "vintage" sound, or modern sound.

I'm a "Bose" nut. Have been for 30 years or so. The Bose cd gold series in the vette is one of the best I've heard. Of course I don't play music so loud it kills my ears or thumps my chest like a defrillibrator but....I do like it loud. Bose is clear with great bass response and that's what I look for. Just bought a boss cinemate for home.....love it!

I think you would like a name brand aftermarket better. I got rid of the old Bose and got a JVC with CD changer, nice speakers and a 1200 Wat. amp......

Bose

I had Doctor Dons rebuild my Bose Gold and it has everything I need. Keep in mind that when it was put in the Corvette Bose worked with GM to perfect the correct placement and type of speakers for the interior of the corvette. In other word it was designed to produce the best sound. Yes today there are newer louder systems available. You made the comment you want to keep the car as original as possible. I had my radio and cd reconditioned for 170.00 and that included the shipping both ways. You can not buy on the after market a radio for that kind of money that will look good in your car. You can contact the doctor at www.doctordons.com 936-435-1811 You might ask him about the cost to upgrade the cd player to the latest type. Then you will have a modern radio that is stock in appearance.:beer

My '89 came with an aftermarket radio w/CD player and two rear Bose speakers which work and two front ones which don't....perhaps they are simply disconnected but that doesn't seem to be the case. Anyway, at some point I want to resolve things, and my advice would be why, on earth, do you want to spend any money on the Bose system with all these controversies when you don't have to? Maybe it's great and all problems are fixed, maybe they're not, but it's a stereo system, for heaven's sake, and the money could be better spent on repairs and other necessary things to keep the car running. My advice would be to get a new system and save the Bose stuff you take out for the originality concerns. There are speakers available you can use in the existing openings to preserve the stock appearance.

/s/ Chris Kennedy

my c6 came with bose and a six disk and i have to admit it is very nice for a oem stereo but i also hooked up a 5000 pioneer premier sub and 3200 watt rockford fosgate amp and now the system does rock and also the bose still doesnt destort so my opinion is corvette did the right thing with the new bose system

I can see that people are split on this subject which really doesn't help me. FCSR can rebuild my speakers for $80 a piece which is $320 and I think another $300 or $400 would probably cover a 96 camaro CD player from e-bay or something. So I am looking at around $600 to $700 to get the sounds where they were intended. But my question is still, do I buy Crutchfield or do I rebuild? I guess in the spring I will have to do something. I like the roar of the engine but music once in a while without snap, crackle and pop would be nice also. Thank you everybody who replied. This is a subject that I wanted to share with all you. I will reply in the spring with my decision and results.
Thanks,
Lee

I was very happy with my stock Bose stereo, it sounded pretty good, it has a unique rich sound that you can tell was custom tailored for the corvette. But when it went out, I got so frustrated finding replacement parts that I gave up and went aftermarket. I'm happy with my new stereo, I put speakers in the dash in addition to the doors and the rear, and a multi-channel amp which hides in the storage bin. It sounds better than the Bose, but I would have been just as happy with the Bose if it had never broken in the first place.

It's kind of a funny thing. The bose system in my 93 sounded awsome. This one doesn't sound half as good as that old one. I don't know what's going on here.

Corvette Emma said:
I can see that people are split on this subject which really doesn't help me. FCSR can rebuild my speakers for $80 a piece which is $320 and I think another $300 or $400 would probably cover a 96 camaro CD player from e-bay or something. So I am looking at around $600 to $700 to get the sounds where they were intended. But my question is still, do I buy Crutchfield or do I rebuild? I guess in the spring I will have to do something. I like the roar of the engine but music once in a while without snap, crackle and pop would be nice also. Thank you everybody who replied. This is a subject that I wanted to share with all you. I will reply in the spring with my decision and results.
Thanks,
Lee

Try :
www.carstereoonline.com

they are consistantly $50-$100 cheaper than crutchfield

Don

Corvette Emma said:
I searched some past forums and did not find anybody that said anything good about the Bose system. I am a new owner and yes my Bose speakers are doing the snap, crackle and pop thing. I searched the internet and found a company (FCSR - Factory Car Stereo Repair of Florida) that is familiar with this problem and will rebuild the speakers/amps for $80 a piece with a "Lifetime Warranty". I will then replace the AM-FM-Cassette with a CD player from a 96 Camaro.
Does anybody out there have anything nice to say about the Bose system. OK, I don't want to be bias so you can feed me the bad stuff too. I want to stay as stock as possible but also enjoy some tunes.
I look forward to hearing your comments.

Lee
:beer
Welcome Lee, I'm new here too and love my Bose. I've yet to have any problems with mine so far. It still sounds as good as new even with some of the mp3s cds I made. They tend to enhance the bass a bit more [ don't know why] and I was concerned they would blow my speakers, but as I said no probs. I think they make a good system. The only thing I can think off is the technology back then isn't what it is now. Good luck what ever choice you make.:):)

LT4-FUN said:
:beer
Welcome Lee, I'm new here too and love my Bose. I've yet to have any problems with mine so far. It still sounds as good as new even with some of the mp3s cds I made. They tend to enhance the bass a bit more [ don't know why] and I was concerned they would blow my speakers, but as I said no probs. I think they make a good system. The only thing I can think off is the technology back then isn't what it is now. Good luck what ever choice you make.:):)

Thanks for the response. I really am torn between what I should do. When the speakers ain't popping, they sound pretty good and I know I will replace the Head unit. The cassette just doesn't cut it anymore. I think the only cassettes I have anymore are x-mas tunes which keep getting packed away so I really don't get a chance to throw them away.
Lee

I just spent 2 days replacing my defective bose amp. The Passanger front amp was defective. So I ordered a replacement (Not referbished)Vhttp://www.andale.com/store?sid=102061&cid=3901072&mode=1&catId=&pnum=&tpages=&psize=&lid=71369867&storeLayout=fun&storeTheme=fun_parts&view=ITEM_DETAIL&newStore=&parentCatId=

This is a better than origional unit (Or at least is supposed to be) I replaced the right one then that speaker is not as loud as the drivers side. So I ordered another to replace the other side. Mind you in an 84 the amp is in the bose enclosure in the door. I think (Not positive may have changed in 90) that you amp is in the kick panel and much easier to get to.

As for sound. I have a competition sound car with complete Rockford, Kicker and Sony units and over 1200 watts of power. Won several sound quality events (6). The Bose sounds 8.5 out of ten. Some of that may be that I am feeding Cds through fm modulator or cassette adapter. (Clearly not a digital source) The punchy mid bass is excellent for the size of amps. Highs can be a bit muddy. But like I said I am happy if not impressed for my 22 year old factory system.

As for installing non factory system be aware to do correctly this is not simple. You will have to do some wiring, removing Bose amps and etc. If you do the amp thing you have to run power wires and if you go LARGE you need a bigger alternator, power caps and etc.

So, bottom line I like the sound of the Bose, but somtimes the best sound is shutting off the radio and listening to the exhaust note!

You know when I bought my 87 2 years ago...the original Delco Bose System had already been removed by the owner. I never really asked him why he replaced it. He did install a 6 cd changer as well as aftermarket speakers and a Kenwood am/fm cd player.. no cassette.
Well It didnt sound that great.....so I opened up the speaker casings and found the speakers were shot. So I replaced the speakers with Sony Explodes all around and put in new Kenwood cd system..more powerful.
It sounds pretty good...but If I were to have a choice ...I would rather have the stock Delco Bose system. Mostly for the sake of keeping her stock. :w

Yank the Blose

Yank the blose and replace it with a modern up to date sterio. With a CD or DVD player and mpe capabilities. Hint: save the old Bose system/speakers etc. and install new wires just in case the next owner wants to go back to pure stock. You will be much happier and have more money in your pocket.;)

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom