Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Bose question

vee93

Corvette
1993 Medium Quasar Blue Metallic Coupe
What's the degree of difficulty in installing the radio? I finally purchased a refurbished Bose Gold AM/FM CD/Cassette radio to replace the AM/FM Cassette only unit in my '93. I'm thinking of doing the install myself.
Thanky all :w

What's the degree of difficulty in installing the radio? I finally purchased a refurbished Bose Gold AM/FM CD/Cassette radio to replace the AM/FM Cassette only unit in my '93. I'm thinking of doing the install myself.
Thanky all :w
As long as all the wiring and connectors are there then it should be hard, the amps are self contained in the speaker boxes and the bose radio goes in the same, if you dont have the factory harness for it then you may want to wait till you have it, it will be alot easier.

I'm thinking of doing the same thing.

While the physical removal and installation of the new unit looks pretty straight forward and easy, I am concerned whether the harness for the old stock unit will hook up directly with the new one and don't want to buy a new unit if I have to make a ton of mods to the existing harness in the dash. I'm not concerned with maintaining stock for the sake of maintaining stock....I just don't want to have to start cutting and splicing a bunch of wires.

My question then is, is this a simple pull and replace operation or will mods to the harness be required?

I'm thinking of doing the same thing.

While the physical removal and installation of the new unit looks pretty straight forward and easy, I am concerned whether the harness for the old stock unit will hook up directly with the new one and don't want to buy a new unit if I have to make a ton of mods to the existing harness in the dash. I'm not concerned with maintaining stock for the sake of maintaining stock....I just don't want to have to start cutting and splicing a bunch of wires.

My question then is, is this a simple pull and replace operation or will mods to the harness be required?
If you did not have a bose system before and just had the standard delco system, this is not and will not be a direct plug and play system, I havent seen a non bose system to tell you whether ot not GM puts the bose wiring in every vette. sorry I couldnt answer all of your question but Im sure someone on here knows for sure about the wiring.

I have the standard Bose system with a cassette deck only. It works fine but I'd like to be able to use CDs in addition to tapes.

Does anyone know what year Bose started to include the CD player instead of or in addition to a tape player?

As long as all the wiring and connectors are there then it should be hard, the amps are self contained in the speaker boxes and the bose radio goes in the same, if you dont have the factory harness for it then you may want to wait till you have it, it will be alot easier.

94Conv,
You mean...,"it shouldn't be hard"..., right?
I was told the radio is a direct plug-in. I was told there should be no problems with codes to clear. Which I'm thinking is a no-brainer. My initial question refers to taking the dash off to get at the radio unit. :w

94Conv,
You mean...,"it shouldn't be hard"..., right?
I was told the radio is a direct plug-in. I was told there should be no problems with codes to clear. Which I'm thinking is a no-brainer. My initial question refers to taking the dash off to get at the radio unit. :w

The radio is fairly easy to get out. Start with the consol lid. That's what I can remember. The one plastic piece (cover) is fragile but removes quite easily after other parts are out of the way. The radio is held in by 4 screws and then it slides right out. Easy enough to check the harness at that point. One of the screws is right up against the dash pad on the left so you have to be careful in removing it....take your time and your good to go. I think the center AC vent has a screw internally if you look real close but I can't remember if I took this out for the stereo or another in dash job. Look it over well and you can tell. Good Luck!

Like toptech6, I was going to link you the directions to carstereohelp. I also see they charge for the directions nowadays. If you can stand a lengthy post, I have the directions printed out and they are as follows:

Disclaimer (by NPI)- These were for a 92 Auto, not 93. YMMV

Remove 2 screws located in AC vents (above DIC)
Open Center Console, and lift corners of carpet (by change tray)
remove rubber inserts in cup holders
remove 3 screws (1 under cup holder, 1 each side console carpet)
set parking brake! shift to drive
remove armrest door
lift center console up and back
*Note - when installing center console, be sure to mate gear shift lever with indicator
remove 3 screws from car stereo trim bezel (1 high and right above DIC, 2 each bottom corners)
remove car stereo trim bezel by pulling forward and releasing 3 clips
*BE CAREFUL*
remove 2 screws securing side panels (1 right of head unit, 1 left and bottom by center console) This will give you a little room to play for the next few steps
Push right side dash trim out - Easy!
remove four screws securing car stereo to dash (2 L, 2 R) Left Bottom side is difficult
pull stereo from dash, it is a puzzle (Mounting tabs get in way)
remove 2 connectors
Reverse procedure for install.

I used these last summer, and had NO problems whatsoever. The original directions had color pictures, with screw locations marked. I found that previously, someone had removed bezel and broke all 3 tabs. When istalled they dont move, so I never fixed. I saved these to one day put in a CD like you as well. Good Luck.

One more thing

Like toptech6, I was going to link you the directions to carstereohelp. I also see they charge for the directions nowadays. If you can stand a lengthy post, I have the directions printed out and they are as follows:

remove armrest door
*Note - when installing center console, be sure to mate gear shift lever with indicator
remove 3 screws from car stereo trim bezel (1 high and right above DIC, 2 each bottom corners)
*BE CAREFUL*
remove 2 screws securing side panels (1 right of head unit, 1 left and bottom by center console) This will give you a little room to play for the next few steps
remove four screws securing car stereo to dash (2 L, 2 R) Left Bottom side is difficult
remove 2 connectors

I used these last summer, and had NO problems whatsoever. The original directions had color pictures, with screw locations marked. I found that previously, someone had removed bezel and broke all 3 tabs. When istalled they dont move, so I never fixed. I saved these to one day put in a CD like you as well. Good Luck.

The only thing I would add to this is stuff rags under the screws and in the cavities that they can fall into. I have about 4 screws that fell from my fingers and disappeard. Had to go the Chevey dealer to replace them. If I remember right a 7mm wrench comes in handy also.

remove armrest door
*BE CAREFUL*
remove 2 connectors

Sounds like the right way except I don't remember having to lifting the center consol back on a 93??? Might just be a bit different.

The only thing I would add to this is stuff rags under the screws and in the cavities that they can fall into. I have about 4 screws that fell from my fingers and disappeard. Had to go the Chevey dealer to replace them. If I remember right a 7mm wrench comes in handy also.

I agree, as is excellent suggestion. I had forgotten that I dropped one somewhere under the console, never to be seen again :cry . I am glad that I printed out the step by step with pictures last year, since they now charge for these. As far as 93 application, it may be slightly different.

just one word, disconnect yur battery, and carefully tuck all those wires back. the dash plastic is brittle handle wiith care
tom r

I was told they are a direct plug and play, but the sound is weak because of non Bose speakers. It won't be any worse.

I was told they are a direct plug and play, but the sound is weak because of non Bose speakers. It won't be any worse.
My 86 Bose system was toast, the unit itself seemed to work OK, but the
speakers and the amps (4 of them) were FOBAR, I bought a nice pioneer
system, got the Chevy compatible plug (did not cut any of the original wiring)
removed the amps, used the original signal wires to hook to my replacement
speakers, made up a couple of brackets so they would fit in the enclosures
and now have a modern sound system, I kept all the old stuff in case I sell it
and the want the original (junk). I'm sorry all you purists, but a good sound system is a must!
Tom R.

I have the standard Bose system with a cassette deck only. It works fine but I'd like to be able to use CDs in addition to tapes.

Does anyone know what year Bose started to include the CD player instead of or in addition to a tape player?

I'm not sure, but my 1990 had the Bose cassette/CD radio & I think it was the first year. I bought used Nissan Bose amps on Ebay for about $50 and they worked fine until I sold the car this year.

The Bose system changed form 1989 to 1990 so I'm not sure a 1990 head unit would be a direct plug-in in a 1987.

Thanks everyone for the great feedback. Now that the horrendous heat is gone, I'm gonna attempt the install this weekend. :w

Going throught the same problems. Debating on a whole new system or fixing the existing.

Going throught the same problems. Debating on a whole new system or fixing the existing.

Unless you want to re-route all new speaker wires, and with the exception of clipping the wires at the speakers, with the adapter plate, it all looks very professional, and can easily be retrofited to the stock system, but there is no substitution for a good modern system. Pep Boys has the GM adatpter plug, it was a snap, I used the stock speaker covers.
I know you will not regret it!
Tom-

remove armrest door
*BE CAREFUL*
remove 2 connectors

Thank you very much NPI!!!!!!!!! I tried this tonight and nearly got there. Couldn't quite get the stereo trim to come loose on the right side and that stuff's so thin, I didn't want to get impatient like I usually do. Plus it's dark out now and I don't wanna be exposed by a bright light when I can't see around me. I'll try again tomorrow. I heard something fall on both sides up near the climate control and thought------'OH Sh*t!!!!' It's not the screws or any of the buttons, what could that have been? Pieces of old plastic on the back--dead bugs??Thanks!

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom