Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Bose Radio Rattle

Rob

Site Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Corvette
1990 Corvette ZR-1
Does anyone have any tips or solutions for better-securing the Bose Radio in the dashboard on a 1990?

Mine is rattling more and more in the chassis. It used to only happen when the car was very cold. Now it rattles all the time and is extremely annoying.

Is their a correct procedure/fix for this?

I take it you've already been in there and made sure all the nuts and bolts were still attached as they should be, eh Rob? I found a nut or two that were missing on mine when I re-did the interior.

_ken :w

• Admin
Nope. I haven't been in there. I heard that this was common on older Vettes, and that part of the BG Assembly Line's Squeak and Rattle QC program was to fix this problem. I thought I heard they used some velcro and padding, but wasn't sure.

I havent' been into the dash yet.

-Rob

Nope, there's no velcro or padding in mine, maybe by '90 they did but I don't know. On mine there are two brackets, one on each side, that hold the radio. They bolt to the radio with one nut each, while the brackets themselves bolt to the dashboard with four nuts (two on each bracket).

_ken

• Admin
No....this is something they implemented...I want to say around the 1993 model year, but don't quote me on that.

-Rob

open up the dash and check the nuts first... A little bit of black felt would help too... black so you can't see it if you decide to put a border around the edge of the radio... (actually, 90's were grey?) well, try that out... my guess is the nuts are a little loose, and the felt will cure the rest of the problem

Rob,
Velcro you are thinking about was part of in-dash fix when GM sent c-4s including ZR-1 through Noise Vibtation & Harshness school, if I remember correctly, back in 93.
To get to the radio, first you have to remove center console (bolt under the ashtray and 2 bolts under the center storage console), then one or two bolts recessed on top of the face plate and 2 bolts on the bottom of the face plate. Before sliding the faceplate, put wide masking tapes on the vinyl faced flying butress on the right side of the faceplate. Otherwise, it is easy to scratch the vinyl surface and, knowing you, it will ruin your day.

• Admin
vettaholic said:
Rob,
Velcro you are thinking about was part of in-dash fix when GM sent c-4s including ZR-1 through Noise Vibtation & Harshness school, if I remember correctly, back in 93.
To get to the radio, first you have to remove center console (bolt under the ashtray and 2 bolts under the center storage console), then one or two bolts recessed on top of the face plate and 2 bolts on the bottom of the face plate. Before sliding the faceplate, put wide masking tapes on the vinyl faced flying butress on the right side of the faceplate. Otherwise, it is easy to scratch the vinyl surface and, knowing you, it will ruin your day.

You're right....I'd be ripped! LOL Thanks. I'll have to try this out. I have to replace the valet key switch too. :(

• Admin
From Jerry Watts, retired engineer from the original Corvette Action Center at the Bowling Green, KY Corvette plant:

If your radio does not have a guide pin on the back of it install one. It is the same pin that was used on the radio for years. Next all they did was to stick pads of velcro to the case, top, bottom and back. The soft part of the velcro.

I was going there next

The plastic NUB on the back of the radio sometimes breaks off ( shears ). it's the same nub used in the ECM guide pins..

Dont screw it all the way in ( the nub ) leave a little ( a thread or 2 ) so when you screw the radio into the dash ..it pushes back on the nub..locking it firmly in the the plastic sub dash.

Vig!

Got a Great Tip

Scrap the Bose System and get a good system in it. The Vette is the Premier American Sports Car, but the Bose car systems suck. Nobody makes a good everything. Replace the cd player with pioneer or kenwood, then do your speakers a pair at a time. I have Kenwood tweeters in my rear and a triangular speaker box with (3) 10' subs. I put Kenwood tweeters in the doors, so no rattle and mids in the dash. A good power amp will run ya about 175-200 to push everything. Get the stereo installed at Best Buy or Circuit City, or someplace like that, the rest is a breeze. In a few months you'll have a kick-booty system thats balanced. But to each his/her own. Good Luck. Bose needs to stick to the Wave Radio and get out of the car stereo business..rofl.

Angel-Man

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom