Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Bose System

Corvette
1984 Black Coupe (sold) 1992 White Convertible
I recently discovered that my 84 has front speakers on the doors. I was told that it did not by the previous owner and so i figured it didn't. Turns out that someone put carpet right over the top of the speakers and grills so the previous owner and I didn't even know they existed.;shrug I thought that it was strange that every other 84 I knew of with a bose system had front speakers on the doors and mine did not. Tonight I started to pull out the screws(should've been a big hint to me) that were holding the carpet on the door panels and I noticed the speakers. I was kinda ripped because within the first month I got the car I decided to replace the bose system with a cd player and aftermarket speakers. I only replaced the rear ones and was gonna take the dash out to put some up there because I didn't want to rip apart the door panel. Now I'm debating if i should reinstall the rear bose speakers and try to buy the kit to allow my cd player to hook up to the bose speakers. I may even need to buy new amps for the fronts because I don't recall hearing anything from them, but then again, I was never paying attention because I thought if there was sound up front it was from the speakers in the dash. Now I don't even think there are any in the dash. Would I be better to just remove the speakers on the doors too and replace them with after markets as well?? I was gonna try to get the car back to original except for the radio itself, but I think I'm in too deep now. No way to test the front speakers either. I'm lost.:confused

Bose

What I gatherd from the general consensus out there is can the Bose. I guess even though some Mfgs say their stuff is compatable, well it isn't. You can use adaptors to tap into the original harness. All Bose or no Bose is the rule of thumb.

All i had to do when i installed my CD player was go out and buy a $20 wire harness. The guy at the stereo shop wanted to sell me an adapter for $90, but i chose not to since my brother did it on his 86. There is a little static when the volume is all the way down, maybe the head unit is overdriving the amps on each speaker. But i think its a big improvement over the casette.

4U2NV1986 said:
What I gatherd from the general consensus out there is can the Bose. I guess even though some Mfgs say their stuff is compatable, well it isn't. You can use adaptors to tap into the original harness. All Bose or no Bose is the rule of thumb.
Yeah, I agree. Once my Bose amps went out, the system was never the same again, even with aftermarket amps it sounded really tinny, and I'm easy to please. I tore out the whole system and put in infinity speakers, a nice little amp, and an audiovox head unit. Sounds ten times better than the Bose.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom