Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

bought new spark plugs today!

Accel 8.8 mm 300+ Ferro-Spiral Race Wire

Edmond:
The larger wires are usually better ... but simply having 7 or 8 or 9 or 10 mm wires is no clear indication of how the wire's conductor is configured. What you want is a relatively low resistance core having spiral or helical conductor windings (you do not want a solid metal core ... nor do you want a graphite-only core). As far as outer diameter, go with at least 8 mm ... 8.5 & 8.8 mm are all you'd ever need. In simplest terms, the larger the outer diameter ... the more insulation (a good thing). Your local parts store should stock a good quality spiral core wire set for $40 -$75 ... depending on performance level. Taylor, MSD, Moroso, Jacobs, Accel ... they're all very good. I prefer the lifetime guarantee Accel spiral-core 8.8 mm 300+ Racewires (set numbers begin with a 7) ... comparable to the MSD 8.5. I like those particular Accels because they have a glossy black finish that is easy to clean and I don't care for neon colors anyway ... and they work quite well. Ask the counterman for a name brand spiral set ... at least 8 mm ... probably no more than 9 mm ... spend no more than $75. Expect to change out your looms too ... to a larger size.
JACK:gap

help

I need the proper order for attaching the plug wires to the distrubtor. can anyone help. Much thanks...Email would be cool.

1-8-4-3-6-5-7-2

clockwise. I hope you marked where #1 was.

:w

A memory item. All SBC's are the same.

MSD 8.5mm

you need MSD 8.5mm wires. or some "nology" wires. I only know about MSD super conductor 8.5mm and swear by them....there basically are 2 kinds of wires out there..... Factory 1,500ohm/FT wires......and performance wires....which are only MSD 8.5mm wires......Accel wires SUCK BADLY. THEY HAVE MORE RESISTANCE THAN FACTORY **** WIRES. don't buy Accel!!! they only are cheap wires that are colorful....dont fall for the color trick.... get a good quality ohm meter out and see for yourself.... If you go to pep boys or Autozone....u can get ...bosch or store brand....same stuff..... either get some cheap Autozone LLT wires which are good "factory" wires....or save up and get REAL wires MSD 8.5MM...no that 8mm....these are RED..only RED. "super conductor 8.5mm" they have ultra low ohms/ft.
-Jason 89 L98

This IS a funny post

Ok guys a little science experiment for U...

Take an OLD plug and break it open...

Study what it's made of inside....

Now keep in mind the 7-8-10.5 MM size of the wire is MAINLY the jacket ( read insulator ).

If you want to get technical... measure the diameter of the CONDUCTOR and it's resistance per foot.

I'm surprised nobody is running soild wire..or MONSTER CABLE!

Who can tell me what the MINIMUM voltage for a spark to jump across the GAP ( under compression) is.

BTW who has a chart of COIL spark VS spark @ the plug, VS percentage of fuel burned.

Yes I agree and 8.5 mm wire will be better
(SLIGHTLY) then a stock wire..OVER TIME
(for heat issues)!
NOT ON THE DYNO!

So in reality you guys are discussing the difference ( in magnitude ) between 92 Octane fuel and 92 octane fuel with a bottle of Techroline in it.

Now grant it every little bit helps in the preformance game.. some you can measure some make you FEEL better, some look pretty.

I do stock wires.. every two years ( yes I replace the clips too)! AC Delco rapid fires
And put the rest of the money in the BANK!

But I DO use a bigger coil.. which I got for FREE.. since the person who bought it did not install it correctly.... and I had to save his bacon AFTER he bought a NEW one.

Vig!

I am offering a warning for what it is worth.

I have run Bosch Platinums before and they work great. Everyone should be aware, however, that they have been known to break off electrodes and destroy motors. The platinum is brittle and can break due to heat stress.

Additionally, due to the cost of the platinum material, the center electrode is thinner than a standard spark plug which causes a thinner spark. You will typically get a slightly smoother idle with a regular plug.

My $0.02,

solid core wires

I had an idea to just run some thick stranded type wire for spark plug wires...b/c all we keep doing is playing this lower resistance game, well why not just run like the other guy siad, monster cable....lol...i wonder if it would work? it might make a lot of radio noise or something.... I personally think the car will run. I'm gonna make a set. i needa get some thick gauge copper wire and then put HEI ends on it....and insulate them.......hhhhmm maybe just regular insulation it comes with.....and then some added tape or insulation. V=A x I if u lower tha I then A is gonna get bigger which might wear components out more...b/c on todays cars...we use V instead of I thats how we get these 100k mile tune ups... on the other hand....V might drop....so it wouldn't run....its a toss up. B/c Voltage is a crucial factor under pressure.....b/c V is pressure.....so it determines at what Pressure the spark plug stops arcing....

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom