Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Brake bleeding a tool available

IH2LOSE

Corvette
1966,and a 1962 thats almost complete
This is a link to a web site of a company who makes a power bleeder

motive products

So this is a tool that I have been trying to design and build,(its always easey to say I could have done that)
Anyways mine that I have built works well but is diffucult to recharge with air,regulate the air pressure,and fill with fluid,and to see how much fluid is left to push out.and adapt to different style cars (enought with my failures)
Has anybody used this product yet?
I plan on ordering one this week anybody have any information on them,It seems so simple compared to my design that I WANT ONE NOW

Aren’t these easier then that complicated apparatus?

I have never had use for these style bleeders on disk braked vette with silacone fluid in it.I have found that it seems that the cross over ports nad the silacone fluid makes for a diffacult bleed on vettes.

I always work with clear tubes on the bleeders into a clear bottle with fluid in it the idea of the one way bleeder is so it does not suck air back in on the pump.If you just pump with bleeder closed then open the bleeder the fluid runs out into the bottle and your pumping partner hold the pedal to the floor and you close the bleeder there is no way for air to come back in.

The benifit of a pressure belleder is you eliminate all air and just pump fluid thru the system.And thru the master also.

The only cars I have ever dreaded bleeding the brakes on is a vette with disk brakes

ih8tolose - I also use clear tubes - in my vacuum hand pump (MityVac) and drain into a clear bottle. I like the bleeder that you posted though - if I didn't already have the vacuum pump, I would go for it.

I have the mighty vac also and when I am gravity bleeding I always use the mightey vac to get things going.I am going to invest in this tool because when I am trying to get pedal on my car I would actually pay up 200.00 not to have to deal with it my self.So for me with the thought of always having a vette in my garage it only makes sence to purchase the tool

Yup, I have one of the Motive Power pressure bleeders - works great, and you don't have to worry about regulating air pressure from your compressor or having the master cylinder reservoir run dry in the middle of a bleed session; keeps pressure on the system, and only pumps fluid, not air.
:beer

Bleeding midyear brake systems with J56 and DOT 5

Using DOT 5, any expierience with a prefered system?

Brake fade and softening pedal (no measurable rotor runout detected) seems to creep up after a session of hard braking. Repeating attentive gravity bleeding yields similar results. The master cyl has been professionally rebuilt and bench bled. The hoses are replaced with steel braided lines. Care has been taken to minimize agitation of the DOT 5 fluid when refilling the master on subsequent bleeding.

The symptoms seem to indicate persistant air in the hydraulic system. Would one of the aforementioned tools simplify the effort more than another?

Will it work for pre-'67?

John's got a 67. But your is a 66, IH2LOSE... Website's vehicle compatability only lists 67 and later. Will it work for earlier? Would LOVE to be able to use this on my 63.

Sealawyer.
The difference between the cars is how this thing adapts to your car. In your case you can order an extra master cylinder cap (about $26.00). Then just drill a hole (on your style cap off center because of the style cap on your car) in your extra cap and then braze in a short stub of 3/8” tube. Then screw your cap with the adapter on and connect the hose from the unit to 3/8” tube you brazed on. The unit is the unit it just how to adapt to you particular car. If you don’t have the means to braze the stub to the cap maybe you can find an adapter at a hardware store that you can drill in. My unit is coming today, my car has a master cylinder with screw in caps 1 ¼” fine mpt and I hope that the steel plate adapter that the unit comes with will work with mine using a squeeze type wood workers clamp to clamp it to my master cylinder. If that doesn’t work there is a local machine shop I will have him make a piece up for me. Or I have an extra screw in cap for mine but it’s plastic and does not have a flat surface for me to place an adapter fitting in it but I may be able alter it. For me the tool is a no brainer to purchase because I will always have a corvette in my garage, And I will always be piddling with them the way thing are going is my eight year old son is now swaying to liking the hybrid vettes that we plan on building instead of the ricers so he will have a vette in the garage also.

I have always invested in tools. And my theory is if it makes your
1-job more professional,
2-easier,
3-safer,
4-saves you time,
5-save’s you aggravation,
6-makes the project at hand more of a pleasure,
7-And it’s some thing your going to use more then once,
8-does not have a shelf life on it

Then I buy it. Out of the 8 things I have listed this tool hits 8 out of 8
NO BRAINER regardless of price

And as I have stated above I tried to make one of these up and it was quite complicated to work, as a mater of fact I never did get to use it because of the problem I had regulating the pressure and the fluid in it. Ill let you guys know shortly how it does.

Well I just got my unit today and the adapter plate meant for a daul master cylender is perfect for my car I need nothing for it to work.Ill keep you posted on its performance.

But talk about a tool I cant live with out this one is it.

I look forward to hearing how it works. I've bought another type that you pump with your hand and it s__ks. I did buy the bleeders that have a built in check valve and it does make it easier but still not a quick process.
Keep us updated.:pat

The unit holds 4 quarts.If your just doing a bleed you should not need that much,If doing a flush the I would figure a WHOLE LOT.
I have 1 gallon on hand for my brake line replacement.

Sounds simple enough...

I'll have to look in my catalogs for the extra cap... Now the question -- which MODEL bleeder do I need? Several different ones depending on the adapter... Which will work with my frankencap?

Thanks!
Vaughn

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom