Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Brake Caliper Lettering

• Thread starter Thread starter KD4WCL
  • Start date Start date
K

KD4WCL

I have a 2002 Z06. The lettering on the front brake calipers is getting dirty and I am interested in restoring it to like new condition. I have tries griese remover with no luck. I don't know if the original "CORVETTE" lettering condition was painted white, or polished metal, or something else. Can someone help tell me this? Does anyone have any suggestions improving the caliper lettering back to the original condition?

Thanks in advance for any help you can provide!!

I just went and looked at mine. They're a bit dirty too, but the raised lettering looks like it is bare metal. It doesn't look polished. I wonder if you would get the same effect if you scuffed off the dirt with a bit of sandpaper? ;shrug (Better get some further advice before doing this).

Tammy

Yep, just polished metal. If you need to touch 'em up, here's the touch-up paint that matches:

342%3C23%3A%3B23232%7Ffp45%3Dot%3E2333%3D986%3D98%3A%3DXROQDF%3E23237834%3A9673ot1lsi

Used (Krylon) gloss black & clear on the calipers..did black first than sanded off the letters with 800 paper and cleared.

caliper2.jpg

When I bought mine both the brake calipers and the insides of the wheels had lots of dirt and grime on them. Pulled the wheels off and used Simple Green on the wheels and calipers and a pot scrubber to clean them. They look great now and didn't scuff the paint or the metal. Just be sure to rinse with lots of water after you are finished and put a good coat of wax on them. Good luck.

H.D.

Thanks for all of your suggestions. Very helpful!!

I see two other Vette's in the background. What kind are they?

The other Vettes

Edmond said:
I see two other Vette's in the background. What kind are they?

The Vette in the background are my ex- 2002 Red C5 and a 1988 C5, which was not mine, but looked simular to the 1988 C5 I had.

KD4WCL said:
Thanks for all of your suggestions. Very helpful!!
Remember to use high temp paint. With standard paints they will begin to turn yellow like the Mil. yellow Vette. :L

KD4WCL said:
The Vette in the background are my ex- 2002 Red C5 and a 1988 C5, which was not mine, but looked simular to the 1988 C5 I had.

I've never seen an '88 C5. That must have been one of the early concept vehicles. :)

I found the best thing to use is a sharpening stone. I picked one up from Wal Mart in the sporting goods dept. for less than $5. It has a nice flat, wide surface that you can run over several letters at the same time and it keeps them all nice and uniform. No swirl marks and looks just like the "factory finish". Super easy and takes very little time. Even if you paint the calipers 1st, you won't have to tape off the letters or work around them, just use the stone afterwards. Give it a try, I think you'll like it!

red-n-ready said:
I found the best thing to use is a sharpening stone. I picked one up from Wal Mart in the sporting goods dept. for less than $5. It has a nice flat, wide surface that you can run over several letters at the same time and it keeps them all nice and uniform. No swirl marks and looks just like the "factory finish". Super easy and takes very little time. Even if you paint the calipers 1st, you won't have to tape off the letters or work around them, just use the stone afterwards. Give it a try, I think you'll like it!
Fricken Brilliant!!!

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom