Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Brake caliper O ring vs Lip ring ID?

entropy454

Corvette
1969 Fathom Green 427 4 speed coupe
I am thinking about replacing my rear calipers on my 69 vette and was shopping local parts stores.

Should I assume that the large chain part stores have stainless steel calipers with o-ring style calipers?

Is there any way to tell the difference between the o-ring and lip ring? I would prefer to get the o-ring from what I've read on-line.
thanks
jim

I rebuilt my calipers with O-ring pistons not a bad job at all; I did all 4 corners
you cannot tell the difference unless you take them apart. saved a bunch of money doing it myself. I wanted to just do the backs but was advised to do all 4 by vendor that having O-rings and lip seals may cause uneven braking.

It's a safe bet that most chain auto parts stores have sleeved calipers. However, the odds of finding a rebuilt caliper that has o-ring pistons at a chain store is going to be a longshot. They rebuild back to factory specs because of liability issues- GM never used o-rings in the C3 calipers that I'm aware of.

all the ones you can get at Autozone and others are the lip sealed ones. Seems like the only place to get o-ringed ones are corvette specialty stores.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom