Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Brake Caliper Rebuild

socor7

Corvette
1976 White with red Int 4 speed
What should I use to clean the calipers both internally and externally. Internally I mean the pistons and the chamber they flat in.

Brake cleaner?
Carb Cleaner
WD 40.

they are pretty greasy form a leaking caliper.

where is the best place to get new rings and boots (local parts place)or do I have to order from corvette mag.
I know there are two different types of rings, how do I tell the difference, I can post a pick if you like so you can tell me.

Thanks

Drew

Brake cleaner...not WD40.....it leaves a residue....use brake cleaner...watch out for painted parts as brake cleaner loves eating paint....

socor7 said:
What should I use to clean the calipers both internally and externally. Internally I mean the pistons and the chamber they flat in.

Brake cleaner?
Carb Cleaner
WD 40.

they are pretty greasy form a leaking caliper.

where is the best place to get new rings and boots (local parts place)or do I have to order from corvette mag.
I know there are two different types of rings, how do I tell the difference, I can post a pick if you like so you can tell me.

Thanks

Drew

I've just repaired my front calipers on my 74 last night and I bought the caliper kits from NAPA auto part.

I don't know if there a NAPA auto part in your area and if they use the same part numbers over there. but just in case.

the part numbers for mine was:

Front caliper kit napa product # 452. priced at $33 each canadian funds
Rear caliper kit napa product # 453. priced at $40 each canadian funds

the kit includes all you need to restore you calipers including O rings and boots. and YES. use break cleaner.

Good luck
Dan

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom