Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Brake Dust Problem

katiesteve

Corvette
2016 Z06 yellow coupe; previous Vettes: '77, '03
I'm having a brake dust problem with my millenium yellow 2003 Coupe.

It started the day I drove it home from the dealer last October. When I got home (about 70 miles), I noticed fine black powder all over the rear valence and along the car's sides. (It was most noticeable on the rear light openings and license plate bottom lip; along the sides it was so fine that I couldn't see it until I ran my finger along and made a clean spot.)

Since then, its been a nuisance because I can't keep the car clean! After I wash it, it only takes a few miles before the black dust reappears. I finally took it in to the dealer and they seemed perplexed. They are going to monitor my pad thicknesses for premature wear. They didn't have much else to say, other than maybe it was the color that made it so noticeable. I drive fairly conservatively, most of the time, so I know I'm not abusing my brakes. Does anyone else have this problem?

Steve

My ZO6 makes plenty of brake dust. But, not nearly as much as a BMW M series I once had.

IMO, I suspect the color or your car color magnifies the presense of it visually. Brake dust has never bothered me. To me, it's just a part of using the car. I wash my car when it needs it... no big deal.

I checked into ceramic pads and they don't slow the car down as well. So, that's not an option for me with a car having over 400hp. I would just keep an eye on things like the dealer said. :)

;) get used to it

Check out the DuraStop brake kit. It has ceramic pads and is better at stopping distance than the stock pads. The ceramic pads are a good balance between brake performance (stopping distance and fade resistance) and brake dust reduction. If you are autocrossing, well, you will just have to live with the brake dust.

Don't know about Roadfrog's experience with ceramic pads; my Coupe has the DuraStop ceramic pads with Brembo rotors and it will reliably stop from 60 mph to 0 mph in 100 feet (factory spec is 125 feet 60 mph to 0 mph). Even with hard braking, I have minimal brake dust on my wheels. Prior to switching to the DuraStop pads, I was using Z06 pads and they would turn my front wheels totally black within one week.

Never noticed a problem of break dust on the side of my vette. But do have a problem with black specks from Tire Shine.

since I don't track my Z, I switched to ceramic pads......little to no dust issue.....as far as tire sling mentioned by NC 50anny, try some Zaino tire treatment.....IMO, it holds up longer and does not sling

How about no break dust at all ! Just call Mid - America today and order a set of Kleen Wheels. These are micro thin aluminum discs that go on the back side of the wheel. Very nice. I have them on my 98. No dust. Part # is 605-030.
Price for 4 is $ 69.95 plus shippling. Phone 1-800-500-1500. or www. mamotorworks.com to see for yourself. Of course you cant see your brakes with these on. Good Luck Dave

Hey Steve,
I noticed you're a new member.

Welcome to a great site!!

Although I didn't buy them for the reduction of brake dust on my '01, when I put the Baer drilled and slotted rotors on my roadster, the brake dust all but disappeared. The rotors are a treat to the eye, too.

Regards,

Pedro

katiesteve said:
I'm having a brake dust problem with my millenium yellow 2003 Coupe.

It started the day I drove it home from the dealer last October. When I got home (about 70 miles), I noticed fine black powder all over the rear valence and along the car's sides. (It was most noticeable on the rear light openings and license plate bottom lip; along the sides it was so fine that I couldn't see it until I ran my finger along and made a clean spot.)

Since then, its been a nuisance because I can't keep the car clean! After I wash it, it only takes a few miles before the black dust reappears. I finally took it in to the dealer and they seemed perplexed. They are going to monitor my pad thicknesses for premature wear. They didn't have much else to say, other than maybe it was the color that made it so noticeable. I drive fairly conservatively, most of the time, so I know I'm not abusing my brakes. Does anyone else have this problem?

Steve

Thanks everyone for the suggestions. I'm also getting the impression that brake dust is just a fact of C5 life. It just concerned me when the Vette Tech at the dealer seemed surprised by the extent of the dust coverage on the car.

Thanks again,
Steve

NC 50anny said:
Never noticed a problem of break dust on the side of my vette. But do have a problem with black specks from Tire Shine.

I hate that crap too !
:cry

Dave1998 said:
How about no break dust at all ! Just call Mid - America today and order a set of Kleen Wheels. These are micro thin aluminum discs that go on the back side of the wheel. Very nice. I have them on my 98. No dust. Part # is 605-030.
Price for 4 is $ 69.95 plus shippling. Phone 1-800-500-1500. or www. mamotorworks.com to see for yourself. Of course you cant see your brakes with these on. Good Luck Dave
From the look of those things, they ought to be real good at retaining the heat in your brakes, as air from the outside of the wheels cannot get to the rotors.

I get a lot of the dust on my MY Z. too. Not so sure that it is brake dust, more likely just plain old road grime. I noticed more apparent dust on my car, after ~10 miles of driving, than I did on a TR and EB Z that had just driven ~200 miles, at a recent meet. Fact of life, I guess...

If these discs are the ones I think they are, they may stop brake dust from getting on your wheels etc., but to me, it looks like they would stop the flow of cooling air through the brake/wheel assembly.

IMHO, this can't be good!!

Ron ... :beer

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom