Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

brake problem

jbonifas

Corvette
1981 silver/blue: two tone
Got a brake problem I hope someone can help me with. When I push on the brakes, I get a bad pull to the right. I replaced both calipers, (one was leaking), pads and turned the rotors. After a quick check, drive around, it was still pulling and the drivers side wheel was "really hot". Seems like the caliper stays engaged on the drivers side and when I put on the brakes, the passenger caliper engages and it pulls.
Is there are problem with the master cylinder? Brake hose? Line?
Any help would be appreciated. Thanks

Hi, First off I hope you fared well during the storm. I had a similar problem on a different car and it turned out to be a bad hose. The inside of the rubber hose deteriorated and would allow fluid to enter the Caliper but acted like a check valve and would not let all the fluid out. Hope this helps solve your problem.

Had the same problem about a month ago. Went to SS braided brake hoses, replaced both leaking steel brake lines on the driver's side and a new master cylinder.
Turns out the pads and calipers were okay, stops GOOD now!
Hope you dodged Katrina as well as we did in the Birmingham area.

thanks for the help. I will try and replace the hoses and see what happens. I already tried to break the hose off to get the twist out of it, and it seems pretty corroded in there. I have used penetrating oil etc, and am trying not to destroy the brake line, so I don't have to replace that too.
As far a Katrina, we don't have a problem being so far North and West. Do have a lot of folks in the area that have relocated and need help. It is really a mess. Thanks again.

had the same problem with pulling to one side, think it pulled to the drivers, replaced the calipers, pads, and i think both of the rubber lines(not sure if it was just one, kinda watched while my dad fixed it all up), but sometimes i still think it pulls a little or something, but it could be the play in the steering when i let go. now the brakes do a ton of squealing and squeeking, and thoughts on that?

Well, after I replaced the hoses, it seems like it fixed the problem. Thanks for the help. Not sure the mechanics involved in this, cause the hoses looked fine, but after turning the rotors, new pads and caliper and now new hoses, problems seems like it is fixed.
Thanks again.

The brake hoses deteriorate inside creating a flap that acts like a one way valve. Sometimes they won't release, sometimes they won't apply.

Mike

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom