Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Brake system ?

king80vette

Corvette
1980 Blue Coupe
The brake caliper seals are leaking on my 80 vette. Should I rebuild the old ones or repace them? If I replace are rebuilt ones ok? Should I change to o-ring type, stainless steel lines and dot 5 fluid? I would like to keep the cost down. I was checking out the web site for Vette Brakes & Products is his a good place to get the parts?
Steve

I don't think anyone here will disagree that stainless steel is the only option for shark brakes. If you don't go stainless, it's not a question of if the pitting will reoccur, but when. For fluid, however, you will get mixed opinions. I use Valvoline synthetic DOT 3/4 in all of my cars and I love it - the pedal is always firm and it resists corrosion very well.

Most go with rebuilt calipers as did I. My rebuilt calipers were from Steve at SS Auto Sport. Steve's one of our community vendors and he will treat you right.

Whatever you do, don't cut any corners on your brakes. Flush the entire system before you replace anything so you don't run any old fluid through new parts. Replace all of the bolts and clips while you're in there and you may as well replace the rubber lines and t-arm lines if they show any signs of age. Old rubber lines expand under pressure, greatly reducing brake pressure.

Best of luck!

Eric you took the words right out of my mouth. One additional point.... Always replace the rubber lines. They may look good on the outside but they split inside and will keep the calipers from applying or releasing.

Mike

One more piece of advise I received from Steve. Don't force the front lines off of the frame lines or you will snap them right off. Apply a light amount of heat from a torch and they will spin right off.

- Eric :w

Brakes

I guess I'm the voice of dissension here!
Not to be arguementative but, I think that the use of DOT 5 so much reduces the moisture retention of the fluid that stainless isn't a necessary item any more. If you purge all the old stuff out of your system, the DOT 5 will keep the moisture from forming, and what little does form will be kept in a suspension, and not allowed to "settle" into the low places to corrode your lines and piston bores. If your old calipers aren't pitted too badly, go ahead and rebuild them, use DOT 5 and save the money on something else. Of course this is just one man's humble opinion, but I have done dozens of calipers, and the ones worth saving will live!
Joe

Thanks for all the help. Not sure what I'm going to do. I just took one of the calipers apart and it is pitted. I'm not sure if there rebuildable. MA Direct has a kit for $480 with stainles steel lines and dot 5 fluid.

King80vette,
Take off all four calipers and head to carisle in a couple of weeks. You'll pay half that for stainless steel calipers and line kits there. Not to mention great food. All the vette vendors will be there making deals.

Mike

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom