Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Brake upgrade

70 LS1

Corvette
1970 convertible
OK. It is time to redo the entire brake system on the 70. What are my options as far as upgrades go? Or should I just stick with stock?
thanks

Well,

Considering the stock calipers are 4 PISTON CALIPERS , I would recommend sticking with replacement style calipers. My personal preference would be O-ring calipers from vettebrakes.com They are relatively inexpensive and the kit comes with everything you need. There is no need to switch to Wilwood calipers or anything like that. The only downside to the stock style calipers is that they are not aluminum, thus they are heavy.

The only things that you might want to upgrade are:

1) better rotors (slotted)
2) SS brake lines
3) silicon fluid (just nice to not worry about messing up the paint)

That's my 2 cents.

Russ

...while you're at it, consider a new master brake cylinder. They are not expensive, plus if you redo everything else, then ths is all you have left to have a completed brake system.

Just got finished doing a complete VBP stainless steel 4 caliper replacement on my '73. Got the full kit and they work great. I would really recommend this setup to anyone. Well worth the price. Good luck.

I just put all new VBP O ring piston upgrades in mine. I already had VBP s/s calipers (with/leaking original style seals) so I just bought the O ring conversion kit. Can't comment on how they work as its all together but I just haven't had time to bleed the brakes and test drive it.

O ring is the way to go if you want to have them last.

Not sure how "correct" you vette is or if it matters to you but I just spent over $1200 on correct OEM stamped SS replacements. Kinda of high but most everything on mine is still correct so I thought I would keep it that way. Not sure if it is worth it.:confused

Tim73454,

Take a peek at his sig, "LS1 and T56 powered". I doubt he's too worried about originality :D

Russ

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom