Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Brakes making noise ??

kingman

Corvette
2002 Torch Red Coupe
Hi

This is regarding a C6 vert with 15,000 daily miles

My vette brakes are making a high pitched sound when I apply them. I can't hear it, but my kids hear it.

My high frequency hearing is shot. I guess this means I need to get new pads before I kill the rotors. Should the pads wear out in 15,000 miles?

Thanks

Alan

Z51?

My Z51 pads have 20,000 miles including two road track weekends at Roebling Road and my pads still have about 25% left. They do squeal from time to time but a few hard stops solves that problem for a while.

When we were up in NJ last fall I did use the brakes alot but i can't imagine wearing them out that quick on just street driving.

That's what l thought!

Thanks, but l wasn't sure.

Alan

My brakes were squealing from the first day I got the car. My dealer looked at it and said there was nothing they could do about it. The factory phoned one day and asked how I liked the new vette so I told them about the noise. They called me back and said if I could bring it to the factory, they would change the brakes for me.

I asked my dealer about this and he stated to get a name and he would discuss it with them.

The car just has 2050 miles on it and is still squealling. It seems worse when it gets hot outside.

We'll see, its embarrasing some times - should be for GM also but it doesn't seem to matter.

HI there,
This is a racing braking system, so a bit of noise is NORMAL>
But, for those who dont realize what they have, a revised pad is ON THE WAY!!!
There will be information forthcoming.
Allthebest, c4c5:hb

the answer on squeak brake pads are to replace them with
Hawk Z-51 performance ceramic pads... no more squeak and dust
cost is abt 150 bucks dealers are not having luck with GM on this
issue check around 2005 was bad 2006 a bit better the problem
is heat related.... get the ceramics you will not regret it oh yeah
not recommended for track racing you have to get the Hawk HPS
COMPOSIT'S if your into that //rudybkk//

dealers are not having luck with GM on this
issue check around 2005 was bad 2006 a bit better the problem
is heat related.... //rudybkk//
Heat related?? How?? when the noise goes away when hot??
Design, it is in the design.
A high compression resin works wonders and DOESNT need the ceramic composition that wears brake rotors prematurely.
This dealer isnt having problems.
Allthebest, c4c5:hb

My 05 C6 non Z-51 coupe has 20,000 miles on it and the brakes squeal when they get hot. I drive to work and the first 6 stops are quiet then it sounds worse then nails across a chalk board. The noise goes away for about a week if I go on the back roads and do a few 60mph to 10mph hard stops. I thought at first that my brakes where worn, but I have 80% left on the front and 90% left on the rear. The noise is embarrasing, need to get rid of the squeal.

I know there is a difference between Z-51 and no Z-51, just wondering why I have brake noise when I never had it before.

I know there is a difference between Z-51 and no Z-51, just wondering why I have brake noise when I never had it before.
The noise you have could be the "early warning" wear indicators touching the rotor edge. Are they worn to 2mm? This is the recommended replacement measurement. (The Z06 has no "early warning" scratching sound on their pads.) New pads are 10mm of material,BTW. If you're down to 25%,then it's time to change them out.

I have an '06 w/ Z51 package, and have suffered from squeeling from day 1. Pads are still good at 14,000miles. When the time comes, what should I replace them with to prevent this? Is there a specifc type, part, composition, etc. Thanks.

Guys, there is a bulletin out from GM regarding brake noise for 2005 - 2006. Check out the site right here on Corvette Action Center:
http://www.corvetteactioncenter.com/kb/question.php?qstId=568

2006: Brake Pads Brake Pads
For 2006, a new brake pad is introduced on the Z51 Corvettes for reduced operating noise. It is quieter than the pad used in 2005.

TIP: Use European specification brake pads for autocross competition. However, operating noise will be noticed with these pads.

BRAKE PADS

I have an '06 w/ Z51 package, and have suffered from squeeling from day 1. Pads are still good at 14,000miles. When the time comes, what should I replace them with to prevent this? Is there a specifc type, part, composition, etc. Thanks.

I took OEM off (in trunk now) replaced
with HAWK CERAMIC No noise No
brake pad dust. These good for street
and GENERAL highway use do not
TRACK car heavy usage may cause
glazing.. for every day normal driving they are great great... //r//

My new 07 Z51 doesn't have a peep from the brakes. Maybe GM finally got the material right.

HOPE SO MINE DID NOT SHOW UP UNTIL ABOUT 6 MILES I talked to GM abt it they
acknowledge that they knew it would be
squeak'in but felt owners would accept the noise
while I don't agree with this non disclosure
you do have a work around and ceramic pads
are the answer for street/hwy driving.. if your
going racing put the OEM's back on //r//

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom