Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Brakes - rebuild or order rebuilt

twoseater

Corvette
1965 Blue Vert, 1980 White Coupe
Hello - I had a leaking caliper on the front driver side. Attached is an image of the caliper - are these SS lined? Someone posted if its not rusted its SS. It does show some blemishes but I'm thinking the prior owner aready swapped out for SS sleeves. What do you think?

Doing the math - I can save $145.00 if I order a rebuild kit (O-Ring), brakes lines, new pads over ordering a "kit" which has calipers and all parts. If these were not SS lined then the answer would be easy, however, assuming these are I'm trying to justify the additional $145.00 for new calipers and maybe avoid an issue if there is a problem with the existing calipers. For the most part the existing calipers seem OK.

Also, I plan on doing all 4 as I've heard you can end up chasing leak problems around the car. Fix one leak - and a leak starts elsewhere....Trying to avoid that.

What do you think -
Stainless steel sleeved already?
Buy new rebuilt calipers or do these look good enough to rebuild?

View attachment 14612

That looks like an SS lined caliper to me. Your financial decision to change all the lines, pads etc. etc. should be made independently of the caliper bore issue. If these items are old, damaged, worn out- change them.

Thanks Vettehead Mikey - Definately going to replace everything since it will be apart. With the "Kits" you save some money since your getting the "package" deal.

I guess it boils down to $145.00 to replace all 4 calipers OR keep $145.00 in my pocket with the understanding that there is nothing wrong with the current calipers and that they are indeed SS.

I would imagine for an '80 low milage vet, that it would look a lot worse in the bore if it wasn't stainless?

Lifetime Warranty

Hi twoseater, I went to auto zone 6 years ago, got all 4 calipers. 3 had leaks and I got free replacement calipers and free pads eack time. From time to time the caliper on our cars will leak, so 3 leaks in 6 years and free each time, that was my choice, PG.

Hi twoseater, I went to auto zone 6 years ago, got all 4 calipers. 3 had leaks and I got free replacement calipers and free pads eack time. From time to time the caliper on our cars will leak, so 3 leaks in 6 years and free each time, that was my choice, PG.

If you have SS sleeved calipers, the only causes of leakage in my experience have been due to non-usage of the cars and/or usage of the cars + the time factor. Both are normal. What isn't normal is buying sleeved calipers and having them leak. If you don't have SS calipers, get them cause otherwise you're wasting your time and money.

Can you tell from the picture if these are SS lined? I'm looking for a confirmation. - Thanks

...I would imagine for an '80 low milage vet, that it would look a lot worse in the bore if it wasn't stainless?

The caliper half in your pic looks like it's sleeved, but it's somewhat difficult to tell for sure. Why wonder about it and go ahead and order four replacement SS sleeved calipers. Use your four for cores.

Since SS sleeved calipers were never stock, looks like a preivous owner had some brake issues when he/she owned your car.

:)

Thanks for the response - the part of the issue is that if they are sleeved then only a partial or no core charge may apply. That adds $100-$200 to the cost of the project.

THe marks don't appear to be pits - I think I will focus my attention there. If I can clean it further and looks fine I think I will go with just he rebuild kit and assume SS.

Most suppliers will not accept cores that are already sleeved. I would try to clean the bores as much as possible and if no pits are found, fit new seals and be done with it.

If you have SS sleeved calipers, the only causes of leakage in my experience have been due to non-usage of the cars and/or usage of the cars + the time factor. Both are normal. What isn't normal is buying sleeved calipers and having them leak. If you don't have SS calipers, get them cause otherwise you're wasting your time and money.

When I went to Auto-Zone I asked for the Tech Dept Phone number, they said all there calipers were SS sleeved with original seals, not " O " rings, this seemed good enough for me. Yes 3 leaked in 6 years, but they had a fair price and a 99 year guarentee so that was good enough for me. Some companys offer Sleeve " O " ring calipers with a short guarentee at twice the price, so the parts store was my choice. Pete.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom