Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Help! Broken belt, car overheats, no air conditioning, no coolant, leaking water

Corvette
C6 2005
So i have a 2005 C6 with around 40k miles and its been giving me nothing but issues.

I am no expert mechanic so I am turning to you guys in desperate need of help and advice.

First and most importantly, the belt came off of the engine. Because of this, the car overheats within minutes and cannot be driven. The power steering does not work. There was a very loud and weird noise coming from the car at the time the belt broke off. I've looked at other posts on this website and found that the noise is most commonly associated with the water pump, so that's my best guess. The display shows engine oil, low levels of coolant, and turn off the air conditioner warnings.

So my question is...

What do we think is the issue here?
Has this happened to anyone else?
How did this happen?
How do I resolve this issue?
How much is the estimated repair cost going to be?

Here is a photo of what appears to be a belt that is clearly in the wrong place.
IMG_1873.JPG

Please help me out here. I would love to get some advice. I have sunk too much money into this car and it's been a nightmare the entire time.

So i have a 2005 C6 with around 40k miles and its been giving me nothing but issues.

I am no expert mechanic so I am turning to you guys in desperate need of help and advice.

First and most importantly, the belt came off of the engine. Because of this, the car overheats within minutes and cannot be driven. The power steering does not work. There was a very loud and weird noise coming from the car at the time the belt broke off. I've looked at other posts on this website and found that the noise is most commonly associated with the water pump, so that's my best guess. The display shows engine oil, low levels of coolant, and turn off the air conditioner warnings.

So my question is...

What do we think is the issue here?
Has this happened to anyone else?
How did this happen?
How do I resolve this issue?
How much is the estimated repair cost going to be?

Here is a photo of what appears to be a belt that is clearly in the wrong place.
View attachment 26041

Please help me out here. I would love to get some advice. I have sunk too much money into this car and it's been a nightmare the entire time.

First off you need to find out why the belt came off, as they shouldn’t. Check your lower harmonic balancer pulley for integrity. If all looks good install a new belt and watch it carefully for wobbles or deflections at 1500 rpm and most importantly at hot engine idle.

The belt looks shredded - not good. If it's an early C5, it might be a "late onset" crank pulley bolt issue, although most of them failed within 10K miles. If your Chevy dealer is interested enough, he can look up the bulletin to see if you are in the range of cars that could be affected. It was caused by an out-of callibration tool at the engine plant. Are you going to try to fix it yourself?

I have a C5 that threw off the belt. Didn't shred it, just threw it off.
My problem turned out to be a very worn belt tensioner. Your problem
MAY be the same thing. I put a new belt on, started the engine, and
watched as the belt inched off of the idler and came off the engine.
replaced the tensioner, and no more problems!
Andy

Well, my first thought was harmonic balancer, but a bad tensioner could probably do it too.

Before I can answer some of your questions, I need to get you to elaborate on this:

(snip)The display shows engine oil(snip)

When you say that are you talking about low oil level or low or no oil pressure. If you don't know or can't remember, just say that, don't start the engine to find out.

So I replaced the belt and the car worked perfectly fine again. No signs of wear or shredding on the new belt since then. But now I'm having an issue with the car not starting.

So I've had nearly all common problems with the battery of my 2005 C6. I've replaced the battery and the fusebox very recently.

Now I get in the car and it won't start. The battery shows 14.4 volts and all the accessories work fine. But when I press the start button the car just doesn't start. No noise, no crank, nothing. Then I go to the engine and check the pulleys. None of them move.

Can someone please help me?

Why aren't the pulleys moving?
Why does my car not start?

I've read about an issue with the solenoid but I don't know if that's the case here.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom