Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Bubba this, Bubba that......

C

curtis

Just exactly what evidence is out there for the actions of Bubba? And, what is it really, other than financially challenged engineering? Is it credited to Bubba just because it is homemade? Anybody have pictures?;shrug

Overall, I feel the difference between a Bubba repair and a MacGuyver repair is in the attitude it was performed under.
Quick-&-Cheap(I don't care.) or Ingenious-&-Efficient(By golly this works!).
Heidi :)

Bubba don´t own no Torque wrench.:D

You want evidence of Bubba, you sure you can handle this pic.

Note the welded in studs. This was done to accomodate the use of spacers for 88 rims, instead of useing the correct adapters.

fronthub.jpg

When I purchased my vette about 4 years ago someone had run heater hose with pvc fittings from the front all the way to the rear and back to solve a bad radiator problem. Maybe it wasnt BUBBA, could have been Bubbas uncle.

not one single screw nut or bolt in my passenger door had one that matched another. Different sizes, self tapping, non tapping, wood screws, sheet metal screws... someone also took the "x-arms" that move the power window up and down, cut them and re-welded them with a inch or so of overlap. why? just cause.

Nah nothin beats a piece of tarp wadded up and stuffed in a oil pan to make it hold less oil in a olds diesel powered truck I had!!!

Bubba jobs are shoddy, quick, cheap repairs that have questionable safety. If Permatex sealer is involved, look for gobs of it all over the place. Sometimes Bubba will use a gasket AND lots of sealer.

Mac Guyver jobs are simple, effective, "better-engineered" designs that do not compromise safety. The work is clean and tidy. There is no excess goop (no waste here).

Example from earlier post: Bubba extends radiator hoses from front to rear. Mac Guyver checks thermostat, fan, shroud, spacing of both, seal of shroud, and adds an air dam.

Actual cost for either job? About the same. $1/foot for hose, or $5 for a thermostat and some free old tire innertube for fan shroud seal, and a chunk of scrap siding for an air dam.

Can you dig it? :)

Rick

Bubba worked on my '79. The original rear spring was very tired. Bubba solution?

Air shocks! He ran the air lines so close to the exhaust that it melted one line so the shocks were inactive anyway. You can only imagine how it handled!

My solution, replace the rear spring with a VPB fiberglass mono spring, new shocks all round. Drives and handles so much better now.

Speaking of exhaust, Bubba removed everything from the exhaust manifolds on back. He installed "dual exhausts". Not a bad idea in theory. But Bubba doesn't have a nice shop so he welded everything together (if you can call it welding) and dug through his many drawers of "stuff" to make the hangers. One of the mufflers is hung on a carriage bolt with all sorts of washers including a piece of wood block to give him just the right distance. And the mufflers . . . you know how they are supposed to tuck up under the rear end angled so they are barley visible? Well Bubba got confused. The passenger side is angled correctly. The drivers side is angled just the same! It looks SO bad hanging down for the whole world to see.

As you can see, Bubba was here. His work is horrible. Luckily I have uncovered many of his projects and have spent lots of time to fix things right. Thank you Bubba for allowing me to take a pretty nice looking '79 and giving me the opportunity to enjoy my hobby . . . my passion . . . making this car . . . my Vette! I am proud of not being a Bubba!

Bubba owned my old winter car.

When I bought it, there were big blobs of bright blue RTV all across the oil pan seal. There was no heat, so I put a thermostat in(There was no thermostat!) to get it out of open loop mode. The next day I drove it to work and siezed the camshaft bearings, Slipped the timing chain and BYE BYE ENGINE! Bubba leaves a trail like a slug on a driveway.

slug on a driveway....Ha Ha Ha now that's funny! got to remember that one.

My personal "Bubba Fix" when I broke down in the middle of Nevada with Bud and DoG:

attachment.php

Whatever it takes sometimes. ;shrug

Give bubba a tube of RTV, some chicken wire and duct tape and MAYBE you'll keep the chickens in the pen. Give the same supplies to Macguyver and you've got a fully functional KFC franchise. :)

Len:w

Ken said:
My personal "Bubba Fix" when I broke down in the middle of Nevada with Bud and DoG:

attachment.php

Whatever it takes sometimes. ;shrug
Now, now...that is only considered a Bubba fix if it was allowed to remain in place indefinitely. Personally, I would consider it a MacGuyver fix allowing you to complete your trip before you fixed the problem correctly and permanantly.
Heidi

I heard that Bubba put a banana peel in the chunk (rear-end), to stop the whining!!

JENSHAMMER@HOTMAIL.COM said:
not one single screw nut or bolt in my passenger door had one that matched another. Different sizes, self tapping, non tapping, wood screws, sheet metal screws... someone also took the "x-arms" that move the power window up and down, cut them and re-welded them with a inch or so of overlap. why? just cause.

Faster window travel speed? Just a guess.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom