Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

bug and tar remover not working

firstvet

Corvette
1996 collectors
It looks like on the pass. side in the wheel well and on the paint behide the wheel, paint from road crews striping the street is on my car.
any ideas how to remove it.
Bug and tar remover didnot work.

:bar
i'll just sit and what for help!!!

Turtle Wax Bug & Tar Remover, 16 oz.

t-520.jpg
http://www.auto-polish.net/bugremover.htm

The #1 complaint about Bug & Tar removers is that it strips the wax as well. Turtle Wax? Bug & Tar Remover is an innovative product formulation that removes bugs, tar, tree sap, and road grime from your car's finish and restores a deep gloss shine. This is a gel formula that clings to vertical surfaces, thus allowing it to penatrate for better cleaning performance. Not only will it clean, this product also leaves a shiny protective wax barrier that helps prevent future bugs and grime from sticking to exterior surfaces. Trigger spray.

Later . . . . . .
6 Shooter

As I understand you've gotten stripping paint on your car and bug/tar remover won't work.As far as I know anything that will remove paint will remove more than you want.Try a little nail polish remover on a very small area (Very small) would be my first try prior to the body shop.

I used stuff called "Goof off" to remove some paint that got on my rocker panels after someone had "lost" a can of house paint on the road sometime before I came by. That took it off but the tires had to wear off.

I'm amazed at the people that like Turtle Wax Bug & Tar remover. I have used it and it did not remove tar but it did leave Olly film on the paint that was hard to wipe off. I threw mine out I hatted the stuff.
I think K1 works much better than the TW

I'm amazed at the people that like Turtle Wax Bug & Tar remover. I have used it and it did not remove tar but it did leave Olly film on the paint that was hard to wipe off. I threw mine out I hatted the stuff.
I think K1 works much better than the TW
I agree. Especially the old can formula, I think it was a Molotove Cocktail.

It looks like on the pass. side in the wheel well and on the paint behide the wheel, paint from road crews striping the street is on my car.

This is the best stuff I have ever used to remove bug and tar..
Its the one on the left. I have tried all kinds of bug remover from wd40 to the stuff your showing...Eagle 1 detailer w/the red lable on the bottom

Don't know if you got your problem resolved yet but if not you might want to try a product called "De-Solve it" It works really really good. I've only been able to find it at Wal-Mart though and they usually don't have but about 6 bottles of it. It's completely biodegradable, doesn't smell, and works great. Won't harm the paint either. I usually go over the treated area after I rinse with a polish. Cost: about 3-4 dollars a bottle. You can find it in the furniture polish section

Ron
:w

I use a little diesel fuel and some elbow grease. I have never had any damage to the paint.:)

This Products Works Well!

t-520.jpg

The #1 complaint about Bug & Tar removers is that it strips the wax as well. Turtle Wax? Bug & Tar Remover is an innovative product formulation that removes bugs, tar, tree sap, and road grime from your car's finish and restores a deep gloss shine. This is a gel formula that clings to vertical surfaces, thus allowing it to penatrate for better cleaning performance. Not only will it clean, this product also leaves a shiny protective wax barrier that helps prevent future bugs and grime from sticking to exterior surfaces. Trigger spray.

Later . . . . . .
6 Shooter

In the South we have lots of bugs in the summer. My 2008 Velocity Yellow Vette looks terrible with red bug splats! I looked at may products and found this Product works great. I keep a spray bottle on the bench in the garage in front of my car and spray bug splats most every time I come in. They are instantly removed (even ones I had not caught in a day or two) and the wax finish looks good as well. I have several coats of Turtle Wax Ice on the car which may also help. This is far better than using a harsh cleaner then having to apply ICE separately.
Jerry

I consider Turtle Wax Bug and Tar remover one of the worst products on the market I threw mine in the trash just plain water works better.:mad

Must be better Bugs in Indiana!

Guess there must be smaller less acidic bugs in Indiana than SC! I have tried a number of products including one that is sold only by mail in a aerosole spray can.
This is the only one that works for me with little effot. It's not unusual to have several quarter size bug splats which in the hot sun can bake in a matter of hours. For me this is a great product. Cheap enough to try so folks will have to decide what works for them! Better option than slowing down on our country roads.
Jerry

I use a little diesel fuel and some elbow grease. I have never had any damage to the paint.:)

I had this very problem last year on my 2003 50th AE and yellow paint on the dark red matallic really stood out. I used a can of WD-40 and an old credit card cut in half and use it as a scrapper. The WD-40 works great and with some patience using the plastic credit card, the yellow spots popped off one by one inside the wheel housing and all along the rocker panel. It takes time but it won't do any damage to your paint and the WD-40 leaves a nice shine and protective sheen. Good luck, this will work perfectly for your problem.:)

Thanks for the tip. Ocationally I get some spots that are hard to remove, will try the WD-40.
Do like the Turtle Wax Bug and Tar remover with wax. It is great for the normal bugs which I get every time I drive this time of year here in the country in SC . Maybe I'm going too fast, but why have a Vette if not! I use it about everytime I pull into the garage, the bugs come off quickly and I don't have to reach for the spray detailer etc as I was before. This one product doesn't run and takes the bugs off and leaves a shine with little or no rubbing.
Jerry

Thanks for the tip. Ocationally I get some spots that are hard to remove, will try the WD-40.
Do like the Turtle Wax Bug and Tar remover with wax. It is great for the normal bugs which I get every time I drive this time of year here in the country in SC . Maybe I'm going too fast, but why have a Vette if not! I use it about everytime I pull into the garage, the bugs come off quickly and I don't have to reach for the spray detailer etc as I was before. This one product doesn't run and takes the bugs off and leaves a shine with little or no rubbing.
Jerry

Jerry, you won't be sorry for using the WD-40. It's an excellant cleaner, polish and lube. It's super easy on all paint, alum. and stainless steel and it's a protectant too. Using the cut off credit card also won't harm your paint, just slide it along after a spray of WD-40 and you'll see what a great combination this is. Good luck and AA corvettes are designed to go fast, bugs go slow !:W

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom