Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Built a new true dual exhaust system :-)

Doktor-t

Corvette
1988 White targa automatic
Last weekend I built a new exhaust system for my -88. I couldn´t stand the embarissing exhausttone from the stock system.

This is what I did.

Chopped of the exhaustpipes directly in front of the pre-cats and welded on 2,5" pipes. Routed the pipes as stock and connected the pipes with an H-pipe directly after the tranny. From there the dual 2,5" pipes continued all the way back to the mufflers that are of a quite simple straight-throu design. Topping of the exhaust with some rectangular shaped Camaro Lt-1 exhaust tips (is exhausttips one word?). I think it came out nice and really matching the cutouts in the cars rear body. I got rid of all 3 cats.

The exhausttone got really much more aggressive, espessially when hitting the throttle :D . During cruising about 55 mph it is dead quiet, until you step on it. I have to get the traditionally resonance down however and therefore I will weld in a second crossover (H-pipe) behind the rearaxel.

Resonance or no resonance, I wouldn´t bolt on the stock exhaust for all the money in the word since this system is so much more what I want :) . Anyway, resonance is only present during lame acceleration in low gears.

In my opinion it seems like the car got some more ponies but I´m not sure. How much HP´s could I expect from this modification?

I will post pics soon, until then, check out this link to my page.

http://www.garaget.org/?car=15581&image=207513

Greetings, Tobias, Sweden

Tobias,

I will be doing the same thing to my 87. If you had 100% complete factory stock exhaust you probably picked up around 50 rwhp if you had full length headers. so i would say about 20-30 rwhp total.

Dual exhaust

Oh gee! That´s a lot of horses to gain. I will get a set of longtube headers in the future.

Mad Mic, you have rebuilt your exhaust with some pipes instead of mufflers, haven´t you? I belive I have heard a soundclip of your car.

Do you got headers? Think it´s worth the money with headers? Is TPIS the only headers that is any good?

Yours, Tobias

Doktor-t said:
Oh gee! That´s a lot of horses to gain. I will get a set of longtube headers in the future.

Mad Mic, you have rebuilt your exhaust with some pipes instead of mufflers, haven´t you? I belive I have heard a soundclip of your car.

Do you got headers? Think it´s worth the money with headers? Is TPIS the only headers that is any good?

Yours, Tobias

yes i have what they call chambered mufflers. basically it's a straight pipe. i also have the TPIS headers and a gutted cat. the headers are probably one of the best fitting headers for a C4 on the market.

RAIDMAGIC
posted this in a differant thread

http://www.melroseheaders.com/

101_0341.jpg

101_0342.jpg

101_0343.jpg

Specs: jet hot coated Melrose headers with 3" coated pipes to X over to 3" high flow SS Random Cats to 3" coated pipes

now I custom built a very similar system for my corvette out of stainless, the main differances were DUAL (X)s and no cats, but for the price (about $1500)(headers and exhaust as shown) and the ease of getting an exhaust ready to install versus building a stainless 3" exhaust the TOTAL cost is reasonable if you don,t weld well,and closer than you might at first suspect

Dual exhaust

That´s a real nice finish. Mine isn´t all that top notch finish but it certainly is well above most crushbent systems you can buy for about 1000 bucks. I painted my exhaust with a black satinfinish paint that withstand 600 degrees celsius. Since I run no cats it doesn´t get that hot as a cat equipped exhaust and therefore the paint will stay unburnt. I built it from mandrel bent 2,5" tubing. Anyway the best thing beside the exhaust tone is what I´ve paid for it.

I totally costed me 200 bucks and about 12 hours of labour. Since I did all the work myself it was cheap, in my opinion.. And yes, the mufflers are included in that price. I had Camaro Lt-1 exhaust tips laying around in the garage from a previous car and they fitted well after some modifications.

Mad Mic, I will get a set of headers then the finances allow me.

First of all I might get my Audi swapped for a -88 Camaro with only 35000 miles on the counter. My woman like the Idea of driving around in a Camaro
and so do I. I doesn´t use my Vette as a daily driver and I got to have a V8, that´s for sure!

:lou

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom