Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Built To Scale

MM-C5

Corvette
2013 Cyber Grey Grand Sport Coupe
Sometime ago, I tried to build a scale model of my 2000 C5 Coupe. All I was hoping to do was to get the color close but I simply do not have the talent. It ended up in the box in pieces for a couple of years.

Then I found Gary Mertens of Mustang OK who owns Built To Scale. So I shipped my "basket case" off to him for a "frame off restoration."

Again the only hope I had was getting it back with a decent paint job.

What came back is absolutely beautiful!

Gary primed and sanded the body three times before applying 5 coats of GM's Dark Bowling Green Metalic paint, followed by 8 coats of Clear Coat. He finished it off with a couple of applications of Meguiar's Gold wax.

His attention to detail is astonishing!

Not only did Gary get the engine bay trim correct, but he also did the "Brake Light Red" lettering on the front and rear facias, the red/black brake caliper scheme, and the C5 logos on the door sills. To top it off, he even has the door sticker on the driver's side door!

The only thing I could find that is wrong is that he set the radio to an Oklahoma Country Station...but hey, that's not all bad! :L

Gary reproduces memories!

Not only is the quality what you would expect from one of the big DieCast Collectible houses, it isn't one of thier selection that is similar...it is yours!

If you (or Santa) are thinking about one of these investments, I have to give Built To Scale 4 :upthumbs

You may contact him direct: Contact Gary Mertens JMertens3@cox.net

You can view the finished model here.

Mine is a 1::18 die-cast.

Tom :w

Damn, that's nice Tom. :_rock Nothing wrong with an Oklahoma country station though!! :L

Does he have a web site?

I hate to say this, good buddy! But, it actually looks BETTER than the full scale version! :L

Boy, he has some talent!

SAVE THE WAVE! :w

Ahhh, the result pics.. Very nice.. :upthumbs

What did you give him to work with ? A picture of your car, or just a general description ? And what is the time it took him ? It looks outstanding from the pics (And i think the radio station is on purpose, ;LOL)..

:w
-Stefan

82ColEd said:
Ahhh, the result pics.. Very nice.. :upthumbs

What did you give him to work with ? A picture of your car, or just a general description ? And what is the time it took him ? It looks outstanding from the pics (And i think the radio station is on purpose, ;LOL)..

-Stefan
Well first let me say that a number of people have commented on the fact that OK has some Very Good Country stations. ;LOL

I sent him several pics of the car and he would send back requests for either additional pics or clarifications.

As for the time, it was never a priorety for me and I know he has others he worked on. I think that from the time he got all the priming / sanding done and was ready for finishes and detail it only took about 30 - 45 days.

But here's the catch!

I wasn't at all interested until I got the email that said -- "OK send pics"! Then it was worse than being 12 and counting the days 'till Christmas! When he sent the email that said it was on it's way, I met the mailman at the box every day! :D

Well worth the wait!

Sounds like it.. I might need to inconspicuously drop that info with the Wifey. I have a few 82CE models, but they are all (more or less) factory correct and mine is certainyl my own.. Thanks for sharing Tom.. Time for a display case !!

82ColEd said:
Time for a display case !!

I think you would be pleased, but get your order in soon or Santa will have to deliver it on Valentine's Day! :rotfl

DRTH VTR said:
About how much does it cost?
That's an excellent question.

My guess is that cost is going to be a function of both the scale of the modle and the degree of detail and / or customization. Since he is replacating a specific vehicle or building to your specification I'm sure the price would vary.

Mine against anyone else’s isn't really a reliable comparison because I supplied the original model. Had I just sent pics, that cost would have been added on.

I have a number of friends who buy from the "Mint" houses and while what they get is a great modle, it isn't a replecation of one they owned. That was important to me.

I am sure that if you could send him some pics of what you have in mind, he would be able to give you a good estimate on both time and $$.

Good luck :w

ABSOLUTELY AWESOME TO SAY THE LEAST. . . . . . . . Are we talking major bucks for something like this?

Thanks,
BB

hoosierdaddy said:
ABSOLUTELY AWESOME TO SAY THE LEAST. . . . . . . . Are we talking major bucks for something like this?

Thanks,
BB
I've alerted Gary about CAC and this thread. He's registered and waiting for the sign in link so keep an eye out for TheModleGuy. He'll be able to answer many of your questions.

He's also going to send pics of other models so y'all can get an idea of his work.

Tom,

I'm glad you posted this info.

I bought one of the Ertl 1:18 scale 1998 Torch Red convertibles from the movie xXx with the idea that I may one day redo it as an exact model of my Carmine Red convertible. Two years later it's still sitting in the box and I have no time whatsoever to play with the idea.

I'll definitely have to look into the possibility of turning it over to a master!

:w Jane Ann

That model and workmanship look second to none!
Here is an interesting side note re: his workmanship.

The side mirrors on a C5 stick out like BIG ears and on the model they seem worse. When I shipped the car to him, it arrived with both mirrors broken off. He painstakenly drilled minute holes in the doors and mirror arms, then inserted copper wire to act as holidng pins.

Gary had told me how the car arrived but not how he fixed the mirrors.

The very first time I took the model to a Shine & Show, I managed to break both of them off because of incredible stupidity on my part.

Today, I was going to try to sand down the connecting points and glue them back on when I discovered the pins. Everything fit back together nice and tightly so I took them back off, did a very small cleaning then added a drop of glue.

If you were to look at it now, you would never know anything had happened.

The next outing it will be gently wrapped in a nice fluffy towel before I ever leave the garage!

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom