Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Question: bulb in projection lense

fumesniff

Corvette
1984 xfire, 4+3, black, beige interior
;help i installed some projection lenses a while back that have a black housing instead of a reflective backdrop for the bulb. under the actual projector is a little bitty bulb poking out of the housing with separate wiring from the bulb socket itself.

i assumed on installation that the little bulb underneath the projector was for daytime running lights, which imho would look friggin' great. i was thinking about wiring them up to the fog lights so i could just pop the daytime runners on and off with the dash switch. however, i was out of time and patience when i finally got all the rusted screws off the headlight frame, so i just plugged in the bulbs and bypassed the little bulb on the bottom.

the lights look absolutely great, and i get so many comments on them. i had a bunch of guys at a local show drooling over them. i like 'em so much i even spun the lights up and unplugged 'em, because they even look dope when they are turned off.

i've had them in for a while now... but lastnight i drove at night for the first time with them. i was about sixty miles from home when it got dark on an old country road. OMG i was completely blind. the output of the lights was no more than a wet match. i could barely get any reflection off the street signs even when i was pointed right at em.

SOOOO, here's my question... is that little light underneath part of the "science" of projection lenses? or is that little bulb that i don't have plugged in just for daytime running?

if anyone has any ideas of an electrical issue that could be causing this, please let me know. (wanted to mention that i do have the lights adjusted properly)

here is a pic of the lights to give you a better idea of what i'm talking about. 84-96 Chevy Corvette Black 7X6 Projector Headlights 91:eBay Motors (item 320384700104 end time Jun-22-09 13:59:21 PDT)

Notice this in the listing..
Tokidoki Fantasy.. nuff said... for less than stock headlights..

meh

Notice this in the listing..
Tokidoki Fantasy.. nuff said... for less than stock headlights..

tokidoki is the name of the seller on ebay. it means "sometimes" in japanese. so, i guess this means that sometimes the shit he sells works,,,, and sometimes it doesn't.:chuckle

Thoes are "show" headlights and are not supposed to be used for driving... The projectors with the silver reflectors behind the light are supposed to be brighter and for every day driving...:cool

Ever notice how much light (or lack thereof) a flashlight bulb makes with no shiny reflector behind the bulb?

You 'could' paint the black part silver and they would be better.
Or you could have the buckets chrome plated...
Or you 'could' just go back to the regular headlights that work and put some SilverStar bulbs in there.
That's what I have and the SilverStars are MUCH brighter than then regular bulbs.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom