Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Burn Out Help

L

Left Lane

Ok, I've wondered this for ages and I finally need to ask ... gotta love the anonymity of the Internet.

How do you make the car spin it's rear tires till the point of (major or just ANY) smoke and still maintain zero forward motion? What is the breaking technique required?

At 300 plus dollars a pop for tires why would ya ..... but here ya go. Apply braking pressure to keep the car stopped then floor the gas maintain brake pressure to keep the car stoppped the proportioning valve keeps most of the pressure to the front wheels and the horsepower of the engine is more than a match for the rear brake pressure so smokem if ya got em. In the old days we just installed a liine lock that just activated the front brakes only. Just remember that there will be mechanical stresses that will tend to wear componants quicker and does tend to beat the car. You bought it so have fun with it.

:)

Thanks for your help. Yeah, I agree that with the cost of the tires, smokin' em isn't a good idea. But at least now I have a clue on how to do it if I need to.

Reponse to Burn-out Advice

Left Lane,

Dmrodco has a good point about the need to smoke up $300 tires. I noticed you thanked him for the advice and then added that it was just good to know in the event that you needed to.

Could you give us an example of an occasion where you would want to "smoke up" the tires.

Regards - Remo

Re: Reponse to Burn-out Advice

Could you give us an example of an occasion where you would want to "smoke up" the tires.

Maybe when a well endowed woman who is into smoky burnouts wants you to ! :eyerole Cliff

Re: Reponse to Burn-out Advice

Remo said:

Your not alone in your quest to find knowladge on how to smoke the tires Left Lane. I can think of a few instances when you would intentionally smoke the tires. One would be in the burn out box at the drag strip. Another (less PC, but possibly more fun instance) would be to smoke them to put that annoying turbo-charged 4 banger in his place.:D Or if your rear tires are on the verge of needing to be replaced, what's the harm in smoking the last few miles off of them. Just make sure you have a camera, cause it is too expensive to do it with brand new tires.:)

Jason

Burn'em

When does the occasion come to burn a few hundered miles in a few seconds? Don't know but ... :) For the image of the car! Would hate to tarnish the Vette image by not being able too burn some if someone ever said "Bet you can't burn out". Yeah, I know what you're saying. Good point. Plus, I just want to! :)

JonM: Thanks for the URL for Line Lock

Twiget - where is Eye Candy? You driving the winter vehicle now? ... you gave me your card a few weeks back when I was washing Left Lane (still need to get those MD tags changed to WA).

Aaron

DON'T do this!

Whatever you do...DON'T do a neutral drop!

This is when you place the auto tranny into neutral, rev the engine up and drop it from neutral to drive while at high rpm's.

Doing this causes too much damage! Like u-joints failing and driveshafts flying! DO NOT DO THIS!

Braking and applying gas to spin the rear wheels is the acceptable way to spin. I'm not sure what the method would be in a manual transmission vehicle.
Heidi

if you have a manual you really need a line lock. :bu

Sounds like a little bit of experience went into that response, 78SilvAnniv. How many dive shafts, U-joints and what not have you dropped from your car(s)? :) Less weight is better, right?

I do have a manual ... thx

Not MY vehicle!

...but I was present for a boyfriend's (not Kenny, either) embarassing moment in the lime light with a Malibu/Chevelle!
Heidi

On a similar note, how does one go about getting the best possible launch off the line WITHOUT smoking the tires... i.e. a proper drag racing launch? My Z06 is my first stick ( :eek ) and I'm still getting used to the finer points.

Dennis :w

Smoke'm Up Johnny

Shut off your traction control, tach it out to 6000 rpm, and dump the clutch. You'll probably will sit there for a second or two. If you have an automatic, shut off the traction contol and deck it. You will probably get the same result. I agree though, at $380 a pop, why would you want to do this? If you do want to do this, do it once to satisfy your curiosity. I almost forgot, check out that movie of the C5 on labor day posted by Rob first. You'll want to get out there right away and do it.

Re: Smoke'm Up Johnny

TODD L GRIFFITH said:
Shut off your traction control, tach it out to 6000 rpm, and dump the clutch. You'll probably will sit there for a second or two. If you have an automatic, shut off the traction contol and deck it. You will probably get the same result. I agree though, at $380 a pop, why would you want to do this? If you do want to do this, do it once to satisfy your curiosity.

Be very careful doing this. Reason?
http://corvetteactioncenter.com/modules.php?name=Downloads&d_op=getit&lid=17
Check out the video clip...

Re: Burn'em

Left Lane said:
Twiget - where is Eye Candy? You driving the winter vehicle now? ... you gave me your card a few weeks back when I was washing Left Lane (still need to get those MD tags changed to WA).

Aaron

Hey, glad to see you around here Aaron.:D Told you this place was awesome.:upthumbs

Eye Candy is in storage for the winter. She'll probably come out to play again in late April. Right now I'm driving that big blue Blazer that sit's in her spot. Though he wont be sitting there for much longer.:) I close on my house in 2 weeks.

We'll have to get together when the temp gets above 60 and go for a cruse.:)

Jason

Burn-out Advise Part II

Left Lane,

Earlier I inquired about an example where "smoking up" expensive tires might be appropriate. As I expected, we received some interesting reponses. Let's consider just a few:

First we heard from DkGb. He thought it would be appropriate if you where spending time with a well endowed women who was into smokey burn-outs. My adivce in this case would be to re-examine your choices in companionship and save your tires.

Heidi from Monroe Georgia says if you have an automatic transmission don't do a "neutral drop". This is very, very, very good advice.

JonM from East Haven CT recommended a Line Loc. Actually this is a good piece of advice. Particularly if you plan to "drag race" the car. However, if you do drag race make an investment in some proper racing tires. Sitting in the "water box" at the drags - smoking up your street tires - will not translate into a better ET. It might impress the folks in the stands, but they won't help you buy new tires.

In the end - and this is just one mans opinion - the real exibition of speed and power is done with very little smoke and noise. Tack it up, walk it out of the hole, and get it to hook-up as soon as possible. This method will almost always bury your competitor, both on the street and the strip. Most women - well endowed or not - like a winner more than a show-off.

Regard - Remo

Read on evolution1980

TODD L GRIFFITH said:
Shut off your traction control, tach it out to 6000 rpm, and dump the clutch. You'll probably will sit there for a second or two. If you have an automatic, shut off the traction contol and deck it. You will probably get the same result. I agree though, at $380 a pop, why would you want to do this? If you do want to do this, do it once to satisfy your curiosity. I almost forgot, check out that movie of the C5 on labor day posted by Rob first. You'll want to get out there right away and do it.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom