Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Buying a 84-88 Corvette... Need some help..

S

Spooge

Hello, I am in the process of maybe buying a 88-92 Toyota Supra... Non Turbo/Turbo (doesnt really matter to me) or a 84-88 Corvette... I've owned a 77 Corvette that my dad built from the ground up with me, but I had to sell it months back due to financial problems.. So anyways I'm back again and looking for another one.. (Or possibly a SUPRA?) What I love about both cars is.. when your in them.. the power or the luxury you have.. Its simply amazing.. What I was wondering was.. if I could fit in it fine... Im about 6'2 240 and Im 18yrs old if that matter.. hehe (i know.. a little young to own a vette? im not young enough for anything.. )I fitted in the 77 fine.. but it was the usual getting out getting in.. thanks yo... oh.. i was hearing of tilt sterring and moving the seat back an inch or two? which wasnt available in my 77...?

Seems like you should fit fine. What Vette isn't a little awkward to get in and out of? :D And the newer Vettes of course have power seats, and tile/telescopic steering wheels. Makes it easier to find a comfortable driving position. As for being 18, do you pay your own insurance? I assume you do, since you are buying the car. Owning a Vette and I imagine even a Supra makes for high insurance. If I had a choice though, I'd definately get a Vette. Of course anything with boost is definitely a rush. But there's so much more class associated with a Vette.

HTH.

T Jay

The Supra market is a bit high right now... The better long term deal is a vette... Fitting in... well, vettes are just a bit tough to get in and out... try test driving one... all of them from 84-96 are similar, so at least you can get a general feel of the C4

Spooge,
One of the reason I could still fit in 30" levies is because of getting in and out of 79 L-48, 84 Z51, 91 ZR-1 and
finally 94 ZR-1 since 1979. By the way, I'm 46.:beer

In and out

Forget the Supra--Get the vette. Ever heard of someone going out the the garage just to stare at the Supra???:nono HELL no! You hear about it all the time from Vette owners.

I'm 6'2" and a biscuit over 280 and I have NO trouble getting into my C4...easier in fact than getting in my C5. Getting out is easier on the C5 and not too terrible on the C4 (only hampered by the frame rail) but it does take a little practice to not look foolish. If I were you I would look for a Vette between 85 and 96 that is affordable and in good shape. 1st generation C4s have the digital dash, L98 engines and the round taillights. 2nd generations have a more analogue dash, LT-1 engines, some form of airbag and the square taillights. Either one you get will tickle you pink. Can you imagine someone wanting your Supra in 10 years? Can you not imagine people wanting your Vette in 10 years? I guarantee which will get more looks.

--Drew:w

In 87 all vettes got revised K-member and bulkhead behind the seats were reinforced resulting in less flexable chassis. 92 got the 300 hp LT1 and 96 all manual vettes got the 330 hp LT4. Also, vetttes went thru NVH(noise, vibration, and harshness) program, I think in 92 or 93. Consequently, became much tighter in 93 or 94.

thanks guys..

THANKS!! You have been hella helpful... And to reply on insurance.. Yes, I paid it for the time I had the 77... It was quite expensive.. first yr license owning a classic.. was like 2000 a yr.. But the car wasnt paid off.. My insurance company said it would be around 1090 full coverage.. so it aint that bad.. But anyways, I'm still thinking, but i just love having 200+ HP under my fingers.. it just amazing.. My 77 was 435 hp i believe.. and my god.. Vettes and torque... haha DAMN.

Thanks!

I don't think you'll have a problem of getting in the vehicle. Buddy of mine who is 6'3" 200 got in fine. I don't have that problem, I'm only 5'5" 130 pounds.:D

My recommendation, get the vette and you won't regret it. You won't have as many horses as the 77, but you will have a much more driveable car that handles great. The C-4's are still beating C-5's on autocross! And the price is right. If you buy a decent car, take good care of it, you will most likely be able to sell if for the same or more that you paid.

At 6'2 230 i have no problem getting in or out of my vette. The only problem with getting out is in most cases i dont want to!!!!!:D

Gave a guy a ride one time and he said, "Hey, these seats are so comfortable that you could fall asleep in them."

Another thing:

Am I like the only guy in here who is less than 6', 200 lbs???:(

I have admired Supras but THERE IS NOTHING LIKE A VETTE! Drewser is right - who goes out to the garage to look at a Supra. I walk out in the cold just to look at my '88 Vette - it sure brings a smile to my face (it doesn't hurt to have the ladies complement you on your Vette either - I'm 45 and that sure hasn't gotten old!)

Besides, you probably won't find a support forum like this one for Supras!

Good Luck,

J

As far as the size issue I am 6' 1" and 275 and I don't have a problem. In and out so much I don't even notice. And the compliments at the gas pump are continuous and that brings a smile to my face every time.:upthumbs Yes Edmond you may be the only small person on the forum.:D

Looks like we're all pretty tall people. I'm 6'2" and fit in the car just fine, with about 2" of extra headroom.

I don't think you'll find many Supra supporters here, since this is a Corvette board. I've driven the Supra and although it's a nice car and everything, I've only driven GM cars for twenty years.

Here is some excellent pre-purchase information for the C4:

http://www.c4vettes.com/prepurchase.htm

This is a fabulous car, it handles like a true sports car and even my old 89 coupe has plenty of power. You can't beat the style, it's low, wide, and flat, and when you get in the car holds you securely. I love the big clamshell hood.

So I think you should look at Corvettes, they are truly dream machines.

So at Carlisle next year just look for the tall guys and gals parked together under the CAC sign??

5'9" and over 200lbs. Getting in the car is easy but getting out is harder for us old farts. Wouldn't trade it for a flock of Supra's though.

Randy

Get a Vette!, a bad day in a Vette is better than a good day in a Toyota.
(I also have a Toyota 4runner).
Oh, yea for the record I am 6'0" and about 215 lbs.

84-88 Vette all the way Spooge. I just got my 84 about 6 weeks ago and can't stop driving it I love it so much. My 84 has the Z51 suspension under it so handling is at the top of the C4 range. And even with "only" 205 hp it still runs like a scalded dog though my car has a hi flow exhaust. 84 has Cross Fire Injection which gives u the least amount of sensors on a C4.

Edmond I am only 5'5" 165lbs. They say big things come in small packages. :D

:beer

MoeJr said:
Edmond I am only 5'5" 165lbs. They say big things come in small packages. :D

:beer

'Bout time we got some normal sized guys in here!:L :L :L

Normal?

Sounds like over 6 ft tall and 200 + lbs. is normal for Vette owners.

At 6'1" and 290lbs, I can get in and out of my 84 with no problems, but I won't win any races doing it.

Ken

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom