Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

C-1 Transmission

Bwmurph

Corvette
'59 Blk/Red, '12 Crystal Red GS
Well, having been wrong on two counts now about what I blew up in the '59 - I thought it was the clutch; my mechanic thought is was the ring/pinion; it turns out it was neither - I've narrowed it down through process of elimination to - TA DAH ! - the Transmission. (Ther's not much else it could be, is there ?)

So, since it't not he original trans (it's a Muncie M20) I'm seriously considering going the 5 or 6 speed route; most likely 5 speed.

I guess the two big names out there are Keisler and Tremec. I'd like to hear from anyone who has installed either one of these trnamissions in either a C-1 or C-2 and what your opinions are on results and ease of installation. I really don't want to cut up the body (trans tunnel) if I don't have to. I don't have a high horse / high torque motor - it's an early crate motor rated at 300 HP and 370 Lb/ft of torque so I don't need a top of the line RS 600 or whatever is the equivalent Tremec is. Also, will I have to get a new driveshaft with the new trans or does it come with it ?

Any input / suggestions will be most appreciated,

Thanks,

Bernie O.

Well, having been wrong on two counts now about what I blew up in the '59 - I thought it was the clutch; my mechanic thought is was the ring/pinion; it turns out it was neither - I've narrowed it down through process of elimination to - TA DAH ! - the Transmission. (Ther's not much else it could be, is there ?)

So, since it't not he original trans (it's a Muncie M20) I'm seriously considering going the 5 or 6 speed route; most likely 5 speed.

I guess the two big names out there are Keisler and Tremec. I'd like to hear from anyone who has installed either one of these trnamissions in either a C-1 or C-2 and what your opinions are on results and ease of installation. I really don't want to cut up the body (trans tunnel) if I don't have to. I don't have a high horse / high torque motor - it's an early crate motor rated at 300 HP and 370 Lb/ft of torque so I don't need a top of the line RS 600 or whatever is the equivalent Tremec is. Also, will I have to get a new driveshaft with the new trans or does it come with it ?

Thanks,

Bernie O.

Bernie

i have a few ideas for you to consider....give me a call, I just left a message on your cell phone.

Barry

I installed a Keisler TKO500 in my '66 about 5 years ago. I chose to install it while the engine was in the car, it was a BEAR to install because of the limited space and the non-removable cross member. Probably would recommend pulling the engine to install next time. The plus side is the smile I get when I shift into 5th gear and the rpm's drop by 32%.

Thanks,

Bernie O.

For a C1 with 300-hp, as long as you're not going to do any drag racing, I'd go with a TREMEC "World Class" five-speed. It's a smaller trans and might be easier to install.

Thanks for the input, guys. Still haven't decided what to do as the Muncie still hasn't been removed form the car yet to see just how bad it is. The Tremec it is a lot of $$$ for a car that doesn't get driven that much, but maybe I'll drive it more with the newer trans. And that was kind of the long range plan for the car: Some body work on the front clip, Jim Meyer Front End, Tremec Trans, etc...

So we'll see, but I really would like to hear from someone who's put ione in a C-1 or if there are any articles out there in the trade magazines of opne being installed.

Thanks again and sorry for the late reply to all,

Bernie O

I think if you go with one of the complete changover kits it is a pretty easy installation. It seems like most of the ones I read about are in C2s. I'd like to put one in the '59.

Tom

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom