Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

C-2 Dash cluster identification

kobi67

Corvette
1967 coupe, 1979 bought new.
I have the cluster out of my car and see the date stamp and paper tag. The tag lists #'s for the components. Any way to cross these #'s to what the cluster has in it? Thanks, Kurt

LB.....LA........or LC stamp

There is a stamp on the back of the cluster.

LA is for 250/300hp tach with 5000 redline
LB is for a 365/375/425 hp redline of 6500
LC is 350 hp with the 5500 redline

Many times people changed the tach for bogus engine upgrades, but never knew about the above L series tags. I have seen Bloomington Gold judges check this in judging for such an upgrade....like a 365hp air car that started life as a 300hp.

80 lb. oil gauge on all solid lifter motors. 60 lb. on others

WOW... Thanks for the info. This is what I needed. Mine Says LC and has the 6000 redline (5500 Yellow line). The car is an L-79 car. That matches.. I can sleep better tonight... Thank you... Kurt

vettefinderjim said:
There is a stamp on the back of the cluster.

LB is for 250/300hp tach with 5000 redline
LA is for a 365/375/425 hp redline of 6500
LC is 350 hp with the 5500 redline

Jim,

I don't know anything about those codes, but my original '67-435 6,500rpm has LB on it. ;shrug

gauges2-350.jpg

Maybe it was a real low HP 427?????? Although, it should have #6412223 on the tag for a 6500RL tach.

See. I was right about the tach and it's obvious this is an original high HP cluster. Those judges don't always know as much as they think they do, do they? By the way, that is also the correct part # for a standard speedometer.

La.........lb??

My records show LA was 365hp solid lifter. Makes sense thought that it is 250/300hp
LB for solid lifter., yea

LC is definately L-79 and L-36. This sequence came after the 65 L-79 engine was introduced. Very early 65 L-79 engines used 300hp, "LA" tagged clusters.

I think what it says is that the "LA" broadcast code was the base cluster assembly, with any other codes identifying other combinations driven by engines (tach redlines, 60# vs. 80# oil pressure gauges), and U15 speed warning. :)
:beer

I contacted Corvette Instrument Service, they say the tach #'s are 2222=5500RPM, 2522=6000RPM and 2223=6500RPM. The cluster part# changed for tach. He also thought the LA,LC and LB may have been a shift code where they were manufactured. My date stamp has a 001 after it, I would have thought that was the shift code?? I sure would have thought the LA,LB and LC would have been an easy I.D. for the assembly line worker to pick the right cluster?? Kurt

JohnZ said:
Here's my original/dated "LA" cluster and tag ('67 327/300hp):

ClusterTag640.JPG

ClstrDate640.JPG

ahh, John, I noticed the condition of the rubber washer above your cluster's tag is ahh errr not quite in "as delivered" condition, I am shocked, shocked . . . .

:D

ctjackster said:
ahh, John, I noticed the condition of the rubber washer above your cluster's tag is ahh errr not quite in "as delivered" condition, I am shocked, shocked . . . .

I understand your dismay :ugh ; that's as it looked when I removed it from the car; however, here's what it looks like now after restoration (saved the broadcast label, date stamp, and tach cable stamp) :)

ClusterBackNew640.JPG

JohnZ said:
I understand your dismay :ugh ; that's as it looked when I removed it from the car; however, here's what it looks like now after restoration (saved the broadcast label, date stamp, and tach cable stamp) :)

ClusterBackNew640.JPG

MAN, he's good, isn't he? just when I finally thought we had caught him with something less than 100% beautiful, it turns out to be his "before" photo!

ctjackster said:
MAN, he's good, isn't he? just when I finally thought we had caught him with something less than 100% beautiful, it turns out to be his "before" photo!

Again another true craftsman,I constantly say it that the details of a cars rebuild is what seperates a good car from a SPECTACULAR car, this dash cluster is something that no one will even see, but the time and effort that went into it to make it look perfect was still invested, Great job John I had studied the photos of your Grand sport and was in awe of it. (My son has one hanging in his room)

You really set the bar high for other to follow.

Just dont look so close at my 62 when we meet at carlilse

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom