Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

C-2 Frame repair shops??

kobi67

Corvette
1967 coupe, 1979 bought new.
Today I stopped in a book store and was paging thru a book titled, Corvette Restoration Guide 1963-67. In it had some great info on Corvette frames. I saw a place the book recommended to repair frames, called Caladonia Classic. The book went to say this company ( I thought in Michigan) will ship you a restored frame for your application and you send your old frame in as a core. I can't seem to locate the firm. Has anyone heard if it? Thanks, Kurt

Try here....

Caledonia Classic Cars
[size=-1]Belding, MI 48809
Tel: (616) 794-5026
[/size]

kobi67 said:
I saw a place the book recommended to repair frames, called Caladonia Classic. The book went to say this company ( I thought in Michigan) will ship you a restored frame for your application and you send your old frame in as a core.
Kurt,

For what it's worth, have you looked into getting a brand new frame from these folks?

http://www.vetteproducts.net/

The frames are made from the original GM stamping dies and are exact replicas.

If I need a serious frame repair on my next project, I will invest in one of these. Then the foundation of the project will be a "never rusted / bent / tweaked / or otherwise weakened" frame.

Take care,
Brian

The link above (Vette Products of Michigan, www.vetteproducts.net) makes all the complete new replacement frames you see advertised, and they also make all the frame repair sections you see in the catalogs. They're about ten miles from me - their frames are right on the money, stamped and welded on the original GM tooling. :)

:beer

I have talked to the Vette Products people, with shipping $4700, and a 12 week wait. In addition the frame will come unpainted so, you add more cost. I can't make up my mind what to do?? I talked to Caledonia Classic today, 3-4 months to even check the frame for a quote. Then, 4-6 weeks once you say fix it. Figure the whole process will take 6 months... I see a few frames on ebay from time to time, the problem here is you don't know what your getting... I worry about hurting the value of the car with a NEW frame, plus it will be easy to tell it's new(no rust pits). What to do???? I just bought a Body Dolly and the body will be off the frame soon, to see how bad mine really is.. I am coming to the realization that repairing the frame will cost close to a new one.. Atleast with a new one, you know it is 100% right.. Not a patched, thin in areas, old frame. I'm sure I could get something for my old frame?? Thanks for the info... Kurt

kobi67 said:
I have talked to the Vette Products people, with shipping $4700, and a 12 week wait. In addition the frame will come unpainted so, you add more cost. I can't make up my mind what to do?? I talked to Caledonia Classic today, 3-4 months to even check the frame for a quote. Then, 4-6 weeks once you say fix it. Figure the whole process will take 6 months... I see a few frames on ebay from time to time, the problem here is you don't know what your getting... I worry about hurting the value of the car with a NEW frame, plus it will be easy to tell it's new(no rust pits). What to do???? I just bought a Body Dolly and the body will be off the frame soon, to see how bad mine really is.. I am coming to the realization that repairing the frame will cost close to a new one.. Atleast with a new one, you know it is 100% right.. Not a patched, thin in areas, old frame. I'm sure I could get something for my old frame?? Thanks for the info... Kurt
Kurt,

I don't think that the new frame will "hurt the value" of your car. Any new part that is the exact replacement for any original part can only enhance the car due to it's superior condition.

I think that you analysis that it is better do get a new frame is good.

I personally, would rather buy a car that has received a new frame than an old reconditioned / repaired one.

Good luck with your project and keep us all up to date with pics of your progress.

Take care,
Brian

kobi67 said:
Kurt,

I had a beautiful rust free California frame that, unfortunately, was bent and stretched two inches. I went with the Caledonia rebuild and spent way too much - long unhappy story I am not going to get into. Gary is a good mechanic but a poor businessman. If I had to do it again I would go with the new Vette Products frame.

Dave

I think the new frame would enhance the value of the car to a buyer - the frame is the biggest worry for a knowledgeable Corvette buyer, and knowing the car has a brand new frame under it would mean a lot - it would to me, anyway. Doesn't matter in judging - you can't tell the difference between an original and one of Neil's new ones.

:beer

You now.. I agree with you guys. I would think a nice frame would help resale. I can't see patching up my old frame for $4000-$5000. What do you have?? A patched up frame!! No matter how good the shop was, I think you could tell. Mine is soft/thin at the rear corners, in front of the rear tires. Also the pocket in the drivers kick-up is rusted thru. To do things right I would replace both frame rails, and replace the #3 crossmember at the least. I would think all these new unpitted parts would stand out next to the pitted original frame sections.. I would spend a lot of time filling/painting the old sections to look as nice as the old sections.

After much thought and support from you guys, I ordered a NEW frame today.
Thanks for the feedback, I needed it to push me over...Kurt

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom