Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

C-2 water leak

Mike McKown

Corvette
1963 roadster 1965 coupe
I recently purchased a nice looking '63 roadster. If it sits out in a rain shower or you wash the car, you will find water on the brake and clutch pedals. Water drips are also on the right side, same location. I don't think the windshield has been out of the car.

I guess I should be grateful. It doesn't appear to leak anywhere else on the original rubber strips.

Thanks in advance,
Mike.

Based on the location of the drips, sounds like you may have the bottom of the windshield frame perforated, or a leak in the cowl cavity under the driver's side cowl grille.

Thanks for the reply, John. Can you possibly tell me the best way to get to either one of these two leaks.

Thanks,
Mike

Mike -

While you're under the dash with a flashlight, have someone pour water through the driver's side cowl vent grille; if you get a leak, you've found it. When the old sealer dries out, it's common to have water leaks between the wiper transmission and the wall of that plenum area where it attaches.

If you don't get a leak, put a towel over each cowl vent grille (so no water gets into either side), and have someone slowly dribble water back and forth on the lower inch or so of the windshield glass; if it leaks inside the car, it could be a glass-to-rubber channel leak (which you'll see inside the car after removing the inside lower molding), or it could be a rubber channel-to-body leak through a rust hole in the bottom of the windshield frame.

My '65 convert had leaks around the wiper transmission plate onn the left side. Dripped on my feet and ran down the console.

Tom

John: Thanks for the detailed answer and thanks Tom for the verification.

This is the kind of information that is very helpful.

Thanks again,
Mike

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom