Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

C1 CLUTCH WONT ENGAGE

J60FI

Corvette
1960 Red on Red
I need some advice on where to go next.. to get my '60 on the road..

I have replaced the clutch fork, the throwout bearing, and the ball stud... for my '60..

I think i might have a problem in the linkage or the clutch..

The clutch was just purchased through a local corvette shop,, not sure where they got it from..

The linkage looks ok to me but i am not an expert.

There is a bracket welded ot the frame that looks a bit bent and loose.. could this be the culprit..

Really appreciate any guidance.. I hope this is the last gremlin keeping me from driving..

;shrug

That frame bracket MUST be welded solid to the frame and not move at all, or you won't be able to adjust the clutch properly.

:beer

That frame bracket MUST be welded solid to the frame and not move at all, or you won't be able to adjust the clutch properly.

everyting is welded solid and no movement.. the linkage moves but does not engage the clutch...

i keep scratching my head,,, could the clutch be instlalled wrong or maybe the wrong one?
:W

I assume what you mean is that the clutch won't DISENGAGE all the way. Are you able to adjust it so you have about 1" of pedal free play before you feel resistance in the pedal? Describe what it's doing (or not doing).

J60FI, Have you checked the dimension from the front edge of the bellhousin casting to the tip of the ball stud that the clutch fork rides on? It should be 4 -5/8 inch, I believe, to achieve the proper release of the clutch. If you have a different bellhousing than what came with the car originally, you may not have the leverage you need from the clutch fork. Jegs and Summit sell adjustable clutch fork pivot balls that correct the geometry. The aftermarket ones the venders sell don't always check out. Good luck.

Are you using a diaphragm or lever pressure plate?

I assume what you mean is that the clutch won't DISENGAGE all the way. Are you able to adjust it so you have about 1" of pedal free play before you feel resistance in the pedal? Describe what it's doing (or not doing).

NO free play.. the linkage looks like it is working properly.. think i will try to replace the clutch assembly next

I've used several of the LuK "RepSet" replacements from Paragon, and they worked fine in C1's with no issues; you MUST have the correct clutch fork, 1-1/4" throwout bearing, and correct clutch linkage rods and Z-bar in order to get proper operation and adjustment capability.

I've used several of the LuK "RepSet" replacements from Paragon, and they worked fine in C1's with no issues; you MUST have the correct clutch fork, 1-1/4" throwout bearing, and correct clutch linkage rods and Z-bar in order to get proper operation and adjustment capability.

All the parts you mentioned are new from Paragon,, except the Z-bar .. Do you mean the clutch bell crank assembly?

;shrug

Finally.. once i replaced the clutch with a new one the I bought from Paragon.. everything worked like it should...

SO it looks like that was the culprit.. even though it was a new clutch.. it was the three finger clutch that did not work..

Thanks for all your tips.. Greatly appreciated...

Joe

Glad you got it handled and reported back to us! :)

THanks John.... now on to the next problems... brakes are all gummed up.. so replacing the shoes and gas smells like turpentine... flushed the tank once.. still smells.. number one cylinder is misfiring, hope the gas fouled the plug.. new plugs new wires, rebuilt engine.. so once again.. any sugestions on how to solve the gas problem short of replacing the tank.... :bash

Glad you got it handled and reported back to us! :)
it can be quite frustrating chasing problems that don't make sense....good job!!!

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom