Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

C1 gas tank - anything go under it?

firstgear

Corvette
15 Z06, 01 Vert, 63 SWC & 60 ALL RED
I don't remember if there was any felt or anything else between the gas tank and the body, but I would like to get that baby back in the car and out of the way. Before I put it back since it is a snug fit, any one know if there is something I am supposed to put down first?
thanks in advance...Herb

Herb,

The factory used a couple of tar paper strips under it to minimize the squeaking noise of the movement between the steel tank and the fiberglass. A couple of strips about 2-3" wide, running fore and aft, about under the straps, will do it. You really need to to use the thicker grade of tar paper (30 lb felt).

Reagards, John McGraw

New tank or the excisting one?

I put a new quanta tank in the 62 and it was a struggle. I think it was almost the correct size but maybee if the were testing it with air they over charged it and it exspanded and was just slightly too big needing some tweaking . There was also a trick on the 62 for attaching the fuel inlet hose. You had to put one side on fist as there was no way to tighten one of the band clamps once in place. Also around the perimiter of the tank cover you should use a little dum-dum to seal it off,

make sure your vent hose is connected and I also make sure your fuel gauge and grond wire are connected properly

I had to use longer bolts/screws to get the straps in the correct spot

it is a SS Rock Valley gas tank.

IMG_2312s-vi.jpg

IMG_2313s-vi.jpg

I had it in the car once to check for clearances when they were tubbing the rear inners, it was a VERY snug fit. I will look for some felt paper and put that in before I button it up.

thanks!!!

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom