Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

C1 Photos as promised AFTER media blasting

firstgear

Corvette
15 Z06, 01 Vert, 63 SWC & 60 ALL RED
Here ya go.....
sIMG_2280-vi.jpg

sIMG_2279-vi.jpg

now this is where it starts to get ugly! Notice ALL the front body work that has been done to this. It seems that the front center section between the headlights and through the center emblem location was repaired by placing another piece on top of the original. seems that in this area it is about double the thickness it should be. Which would explain WHY the front of the hood always rubbed the front portion of the hood surround.
sIMG_2275-vi.jpg

looks like what ever happened to the front also caused some of the panels to seperate. Bubba tried to fix it by shoving bondo into the seam for an adhesive....it didn't work as there is panel seperation. All that bondo needs to be gotten out of there for the panels to ever close up again! Thank you bubba!!!
sIMG_2277-vi.jpg

a lot of repair work on the bottom of the driver side fender underneath. On top it doesn't look so bad, but underneath you can see all the work done to try and patch it up.
sIMG_2270-vi.jpg

ok this is the real nasty one of the bunch, top of the passenger fender. the seam goes all the way across and of course it is cracked the whole way, nice job bubba!
sIMG_2271-vi.jpg

back of front center section....you can see all the work that was done to try and get that to look normal again....
sIMG_2268-vi.jpg

back end looked real good...no problems here....except these wheel wells need to be tubbed about 1.5 inches or so, just enough to make the inside of the wheel well flush with the frame.
sIMG_2260-vi.jpg

shifter linkage must have been rubbing its way RAW through the body, bubba put a poor excuse for a patch here too!
sIMG_2257-vi.jpg

rest of the interior looks real good
sIMG_2274-vi.jpg

Here is what I think I will get as new pieces....looks to be around $2300 or so
frontend-vi.jpg

comments???????

ok, just because I know you are going to ask.....

sIMG_2281-vi.jpg

The willys above is from a company that Harry was owner or a partner in, went out of business, but he has pieces form the molds and this is his car

sIMG_2283-vi.jpg

ok you Cheetah fans, he has the molds to build these cars too. Looks like he may be selling them to another company in the area to start selling these cars....

sIMG_2285-vi.jpg

this GT350 CLONE is for sale, they want $37,500 for it......

Herb

as stated before I am no body man.

But what scares me the most on this is

1-the fender has been sectioned and it doesn't look like it was done proper as I dont see layers of glass mat/fiber

2-the front section having 2 layers and i think the wrong color glass on the bottom of the front nose

3-the delaminating of the cowl area to the fire wall

With all of this I would question what the labor cost would be putting in the section you plan on purchasing as compared to the additional cost of the entire Jig assembled nose and the labor just to hang an entire front end on the car

I would think it may be less to hang a new nose.

But lets see what the more knowledgeable fellow have to say

Herb

as stated before I am no body man.

But what scares me the most on this is

1-the fender has been sectioned and it doesn't look like it was done proper as I dont see layers of glass mat/fiber

2-the front section having 2 layers and i think the wrong color glass on the bottom of the front nose

3-the delaminating of the cowl area to the fire wall

With all of this I would question what the labor cost would be putting in the section you plan on purchasing as compared to the additional cost of the entire Jig assembled nose and the labor just to hang an entire front end on the car

I would think it may be less to hang a new nose.

But lets see what the more knowledgeable fellow have to say
yes the front is a mess......I have sent the information to the body guy.....he is going to let me know about costs....I will play off the pieces versus the whole thing....my firewall is good....my inners are good....both side fenders have cracks but nothing that is not easliy repaired.....so it is just the top and the very front as you noticed was a mess.......I will let you know the final plan....lead time for the whole thing is 8-9 weeks....lead time for the parts I have circled is 2-3 weeks.....stay tuned.....

lead time for the whole thing is 8-9 weeks....lead time for the parts I have circled is 2-3 weeks.....stay tuned..

Herb dont let time be the deciding factor, You have plenty of work to do on the doors,He could work on the tire tubs,

Best of luck,

lead time for the whole thing is 8-9 weeks....lead time for the parts I have circled is 2-3 weeks.....stay tuned..

Herb dont let time be the deciding factor, You have plenty of work to do on the doors,He could work on the tire tubs,

Best of luck,
yes...I will try to balance everything....cost and time....will see what he says.....oh...forgot to tell you...and you would be proud....the car was originally YELLOW!!!! yellow paint on the bottom of the car that came off when media blasted!!!!!

Hello Herb
I don't think your body looks that bad, other than the front end needing to be repaired
The one thing I noticed from the first photo is the dolly that is holding the body. It looks just like angle iron connecting the front to back(flex), plus I could not see any uprights holding the body in the middle for support. I may be missing something here, but I would be nervous about supporting the body in the middle. Even having a bar in the door area to hold it apart would be a great help
take care
Tom

Hello Herb
I don't think your body looks that bad, other than the front end needing to be repaired
The one thing I noticed from the first photo is the dolly that is holding the body. It looks just like angle iron connecting the front to back(flex), plus I could not see any uprights holding the body in the middle for support. I may be missing something here, but I would be nervous about supporting the body in the middle. Even having a bar in the door area to hold it apart would be a great help
take care
Tom
Tom, he has it supported in three areas along the bottom. In the very front, near the seat belt anchors and the very rear. Check out this photo...to the very left in the photo. The car is bolted through to those bars.

sIMG_2260-vi.jpg

Hello Herb
I really do like the media blasting....If I ever did another car, I think I would go that way. It sure does a nice job
I really like the Willy's in the pics and the Mustang. My fiance just got a 2006 and they look quite a lot like the old ones. I like the roofline on the 65/66's the best, which is the way the new ones look
take care
Tom

Hello Herb
I really do like the media blasting....If I ever did another car, I think I would go that way. It sure does a nice job
I really like the Willy's in the pics and the Mustang. My fiance just got a 2006 and they look quite a lot like the old ones. I like the roofline on the 65/66's the best, which is the way the new ones look
take care
Tom
Tom, the Willy's body pieces came from a company that Harry had started with another guy but is not around any more. Those pieces were the last pieces taken off the molds. Pretty sweet looking! It was like going into a toy store!

I think things could always be worse. Seems like you have a great handle on what needs to be done. Congratulations to you for taking on a project of this magnitude.

The media blasting did a great job. Seems like your surfaces are very even.

Thank you very much for all the pictures and your explanations!

SAVE THE :w

I think things could always be worse. Seems like you have a great handle on what needs to be done. Congratulations to you for taking on a project of this magnitude.

The media blasting did a great job. Seems like your surfaces are very even.

Thank you very much for all the pictures and your explanations!

SAVE THE :w
I have never done any kind of car project like this....last time I did anything was over 33 years ago when my dad and I hot rodded a 1966 VW bug....what I am doing now is far more involved than I ever did before. I have shared the photos of my project with my dad (see below), who is now 83. I got him a couple of years ago to go from Virginia to Maryland to take a look at the car just outside of Baltimore. After he put $500 down on it for me, he freaked out for several nights since it was a lot of money to him for a car that didn't even run!

I know he is enjoying these photos as well as everyones comments. I send him links on a regular basis and he is amazed at what I have jumped into. I also send links to Sharon's family and her sister says "I didn't know Herb was that smart". Well, we all know I am not that smart, for if I was I would have bought a car already completed and saved a ton of money!

So I have the bug, building a car.....a ton of fun that can only be described as priceless!

I can see why you are leaning towards replacing the upper surround panel now. That would give you the best quality of repair in the long run. Does the available panels include the top of the instrument panel like the originals did?

Tom

I can see why you are leaning towards replacing the upper surround panel now. That would give you the best quality of repair in the long run. Does the available panels include the top of the instrument panel like the originals did?

Tom
from the sketches in the catalog, YES. Time will tell...hopefully will get on order this week.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom