Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

C1 windshield QUESTIONS????

firstgear

Corvette
15 Z06, 01 Vert, 63 SWC & 60 ALL RED
The windshield assembly has a gasket that is about 5/8" across and about 1/4" or so thick that goes under the windshield frame between the body and the frame. It has holes in it for the 8 threaded bolts to go through into the body.
If I put that gasket on it is so thick that the windshield doesn't sit down in the channel enough and sticks up slightly. When I pulled the windshield out I don't remember a gasket/weather stripping even there.

I started thinking about the weather stripping, if it is there how any water that gets in the channel will just sit until it evaporates and there is a good chance of rusting the bottom windshield channel. If there is no gasket, then the chance of leakage through the 8 holes is likely.

There is no drain out of that channel. so what does everyone do in this instance? I am inclined to leave the gasket out since the car will have very little chance of getting rained on (ok, it will get rained on, but that will not be the norm, only by getting caught in the rain).

I thought of trimming the gasket in 1/2 or 1/3 or getting the thin gasket that goes inside the windshield assembly or not worrying about it.

comments/thoughts?

2nd question....without the gasket the windshiled fits all along the entire channel of the car very nicely, HOWEVER (there always has to be a but) the drivers side window post when it sits flush sticks up a bit too high like 1/8" to 3/16" and takes the bottom molding in that area with it (meaning it is too high as well).

Looking at it seems like I only have a couple of options, I am hoping that there are some others. First option would be to grind out the channel a little in that area on the car (UGH :willy: ) or the second option would be to trim the windshield post (grind it thinner, another UGH :willy:) or possibly the third option, although not my favorite either is to have the winshield channel reworked in that area to come up higher with the lip to cover (shield) the gap.

None of these are appealing.....other options? comments?

The pursuit of near perfection is driving me crazy!

thanks, Herb

I found the gasket in the assembly manual and I have heard others talk about it. I'm sure it's supposed to be in there. The repro may be thicker than the original too. I have not paid much attention to this point on cars at NCRS meets so I'm not sure that the lower moulding sits down against the body with no gap all of the way across. Mine does not. It isn't the original windshield glass but I bought the car when it was only 10 years old and I have never had the windshield off. Given the irregularities of these bodies I'd be surprised if any fit evenly all the way across from the factory.

I found the gasket in the assembly manual and I have heard others talk about it. I'm sure it's supposed to be in there. The repro may be thicker than the original too. I have not paid much attention to this point on cars at NCRS meets so I'm not sure that the lower moulding sits down against the body with no gap all of the way across. Mine does not. It isn't the original windshield glass but I bought the car when it was only 10 years old and I have never had the windshield off. Given the irregularities of these bodies I'd be surprised if any fit evenly all the way across from the factory.
how does it look when you look straight in at the windshield posts? Looking straight in at the joint of the windshield post and the car body.

Herb

Herb,

You have to use the gasket. The bottom of the channel is round, and the gasket is shaped to fit it. The other side of the gasket is flat to match the body. You want to put dum-dum sealer around all the mounting holes, so that when the gasket is installed, it will seal the holes. The gasket almost completely fills the recess in the body, and it will not hold a substantial amount of water. Also, the gasket is thick enough that it keeps the channel rasied up and out of any water. The windshield will never seat properly without the gasket, and you will be suprised how much the frame will pull down when you tighten the bolts. You will NEVER get the frame to align properly without the gasket.

Regards, John McGraw

Hi Herb,

I did this a couple of years ago and didn't have any problem with the gasket fitting properly. Did you use the additional gasket/shims that go under the windshield posts? As John said when you tighten down the eight studs that hold the windshield in place the gasket should just about disappear, hidden by the stainless trim piece that covers the bottom frame. Are you sure your bottom stainless is on correctly?

You may just want to review your procedure and make sure your gaskets are all oriented and installed properly and that your bottom frame is installed properly. I can't imagine trying to not use that gasket. ;shrug

Good luck

here is my windshield
IMG_1233Small-vi.jpg

IMG_1234Small-vi.jpg

IMG_1235Small-vi.jpg

IMG_1236Small-vi.jpg

IMG_1238Small-vi.jpg

gasket as compared to thickness of a quarter

IMG_1241Small-vi.jpg

seems very dense

Here you go.

Herb, In your photo with the tape measure, the stainless trim looks like it isn't attached properly to the windshield bottom frame & the windshield post.

Toms photo shows how it should be attached.

IMG_1236Small-vi.jpg

attachment.php

took the windshield off and on several times tonight. I used the channel gasket this time and a friend helped me get the nuts on the studs while I pushed like the dickens to get the studs to protrude enough to get the nuts on.

also found some of the dash pad getting in the way and we trimmed those areas, but I am asking in another thread how much can I trim, I would like to trim more, but need some guidance.

I agree that the molding isn't right and came to the conclusion that when I was attaching the windshield previously that I may have put enough stress on the pieces to cause it to "jump" out of place.

It looks better...I will post some photos tomorrow.

Herb

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom