Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

C2 Heat riser

dtaz

Corvette
1963 Black split window
Question: There are 2 lines on the heat riser side of the 340 HP motor, 1 goes from the exhaust manifold to the choke assembly, the other goes down toward the heat riser from the carb, but I'm not sure about the second one. Is it pulling a vacuum from somewhere? Thanks, Frank

Are you referring to the rubber line that runs from the carb air horn to the steel line that goes down behind the exhaust manifold as in this pic I copied online? It's called a clean air line and completes the choke loop. On older engines the choke tube ran down and connected to the tube that ran through the exhaust manifold and was just open to atmosphere on the bottom end. This line connects at the previously left open lower end of the choke tube and goes into the air horn thus not allowing crud to get into the open choke tube.

Tom

1963-Split-Window-Corvette-Engine-Done.jpg

Are you referring to the rubber line that runs from the carb air horn to the steel line that goes down behind the exhaust manifold as in this pic I copied online? It's called a clean air line and completes the choke loop. On older engines the choke tube ran down and connected to the tube that ran through the exhaust manifold and was just open to atmosphere on the bottom end. This line connects at the previously left open lower end of the choke tube and goes into the air horn thus not allowing crud to get into the open choke tube.

Tom

View attachment 25454
Thank you Tom for a very good explaination. I guess there should be a hole somewhere in the bottom of the exhaust manifold for the other metal tube? Frank

Here is a drawing I found in the parts manual. Sorry for the sideways.

Tom

Attachments

• IMG_2136.JPG
    IMG_2136.JPG
    1.8 MB · Views: 96

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom