Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

C2 heater/defroster question

Corvette
www.67HEAVEN.com
I've forgotten what connects the heater box to the fiberglass defroster duct - 1967.

Corrugated tape? Something else? Can you describe it?

studiog,

Thanks for the help. I should have mentioned that it's a L-71 (non-air car).

heater.jpg

I'm referring to the area between the defroster duct and the end of the heater box. (light blue oval here).

It seems that the defroster duct does not fit the heater box hole well enough to seal. What makes the actual connection or seal? It is so long ago that I took this apart, I forget.

67HEAVEN said:
studiog,
What makes the actual connection or seal? It is so long ago that I took this apart, I forget.
Sorry, I haven't a clue, I haven't had a C2 for so long I can't remember what the underside of the dash looks like. I was just hoping the exploded view might help.

67 HEAVEN,

I just replaced my heater core and mine had nothing sealing that area. I was a little surprised but put it back the same way. The defroster seems to work fine. By the way, I pulled out the original Harrison heater core so I think it was all original.

I had the same question a while ago. There's nothing there but empty space, but it works. I checked the AIM, LIC's site, Dr Rebuild's site and other cars. Looks like that's the way it's supposed to be.

67HEAVEN said:
I've forgotten what connects the heater box to the fiberglass defroster duct - 1967.

Corrugated tape? Something else? Can you describe it?
Nothing goes there but space!

having swapped out my whole non-a/c sytem with another (fellow C2 donor - he wanted my VA system, I wanted to go back to stock) I can agree that nothing secures the connection (or wraps around the connection) between the def duct and the box. Do your best to line it up well enough by use of the various hold-down nuts and such for the def vent.

There's nothing joining the heater box outlet to the defroster duct, on purpose - it was designed that way intentionally, with a gap, so the noise/vibration from the heater blower doesn't get transmitted from the box outlet through the duct to the upper instrument panel, which would amplify it (like a drumhead). Standard GM design practice for many years.:beer

Holy cow!!!! John, I don't know where you've gotten all this info, but I want to enroll in whatever classes you've attended in the past. Excellent knowledge!, I couldn't second guess if I wanted to.....

65stinger said:
Holy cow!!!! John, I don't know where you've gotten all this info, but I want to enroll in whatever classes you've attended in the past. Excellent knowledge!, I couldn't second guess if I wanted to.....
I think this would be about a 30 year course! :)

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom