Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

C2 Paint/Sherwin-Williams

paul67

Corvette
1974 convertible
Let's go back a year or so when I decided to get my 1967 painted. I won't go through the whole history but suffice to say that I went with a shop with the expertise that I had encountered previously with my 1979 in the year 2000. They had done a DuPont Chroma Premier BC/CC job that looks pristine to this day.

So I asked for the same for my 1967. The shop recommended a Sherwin-Williams paint instead. I mused about the for some time but eventually agreed. And that was despite some jokes about bathroom paint on Corvettes.

The job was done with a sanding strip and turned out very nicely. And survived the summer of 2005 with no blistering. I posted pics. I am pleased with the outcome. So then there were questions here and elsewhere as what did they use? I did not know. So I posed that question to the shop in recent months. Here is the answer, finally.

SHERWIN WILLIAMS
ULTRA 7000 SYSTEM

PRIMER- P30W OR P30B
PAINT SEALER & ADHESION PROMOTER-S65
BASE OR COLOR COAT- ULTRA 7000
CLEAR COAT-CC639

This may be of interest to someone.

paintfinal011.jpg

When stripped the body turned out to be in very fine condition. There were some minor stress cracks only. Nevertheless I paid out for some 130 hours of labour ($45US/hour) plus material costs. In $US the total was about $6,700. The turnaround time was just shy of three months.

The cost included installation and painting of the stinger hood as well as the original SB hood. That in case a future owner wishes to switch back.

primer001.jpg

It is hard to tell the quality from an Internet picture, but your Corvette looks just STUNNING!!
Ray

Very nice

The paint looks great and the price for the job was very reasonable for high quality work.Godd luck and enjoy driving it. BOB W

I'v been Using Ultra 7000 since it came Out as Ultra Base 7!!!! Very good stuff and is easily spot repaired!!! Been using it 15+ years!! :upthumbs

Your car looks GORGEOUS! My '65 needs to be repainted and I'll keep your information in mind. Thanks for sharing.

Barbie

Thanks Paul. I've been thinking about using SW Ultra 7000 since I heard it's very forgiving and less toxic than other paints.

It's nice to get a positive report on the paint and especially from the owner of such a highly regarded car.

Nice looking paint job. I may re-paint in a couple years and will keep this in mind. Looks like the best visual bang for the buck...

You people make me blush: e.g. "...a highly regarded car." Those auctioneers in Arizona wouldn't even let a 1967 with 327/300 and Powerglide inside their garage. But I enjoy it very much and look forward to seeing it again in 6-7 weeks. It's still well below freezing here and with snow in the forecast. But that will pass. The sun is getting warmer.

Where did you have your car painted? I live in Northern Ont. & am looking for someone to do my 64. Regards, Bob

Bob,
Bit of a long haul for you. The shop is about 25 miles east of Ottawa just off the 417 leading to Montreal.

Great looking car!!! Just found the thread, do you know if the S-W paint requires baking??? Tom

Tom,
I do not know. They were the professionals and I just let them do it right. What counted for me was at the far end when it came out of the shop and I handed over the money owing. I did not baby-sit the job.

The old proverb is so true: the labour rate is twice when you supervise.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom