Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Home Made 12 Ton Hydraulic Press

A few years ago I noticed some 3" and 4" heavy wall channel iron lying on the top of my iron pile and got to wondering if I could use it for something. Then I remembered I had a seldom-used 12 ton bottle jack sitting under my workbench and got the idea to make a 12 ton hydraulic press. So I hauled it into my garage and started in. Three days and a can of Chevrolet Orange paint later I had it built. One week after I finished it I used it to press the rear bearing onto my new 3.70 pinion gear and then a couple of years later I used it to change pistons on my connecting rods. This morning I used it to straighten the bent flange on my Specter thermostat housing and that's when I got the idea to show you my press.

It'll handle objects up to about 12" X 13" which makes it dandy for home use. It has a crank adjustment that uses my old shifter knob and 3/32" cables to raise and lower it. I made the pins out of 1/2" grade 8 bolts with handles welded onto the heads of the bolts. After I got it built I made a bunch of various accessories (the yellow parts under the press) so I could perform most any pressing job. And when I need to use the 12 ton bottle jack for jacking I can remove it from the press in just one minute. The only expense was for the can of Chevrolet Orange spray paint and the $2 stencil kit to paint the "12 TON" capacity. Although a hydraulic press is seldom needed when you need one you really need one. Harbor Freight sells them for not much money so it's something you should consider buying if you do your own repairs.

Attachments

• 12 Ton Press 001.jpg
    12 Ton Press 001.jpg
    258.1 KB · Views: 127
  • 12 Ton Press 002.jpg
    12 Ton Press 002.jpg
    257.6 KB · Views: 128
You even added 12 ton press to the top..

It appears you bought it as they say purchased finished...

Channel Iron Was Just Rusting Away

The 3" and 4" channel iron was just rusting away so I'm glad I found a good use for it. A automotive machine shop will charge $100 to $125 to change pistons on connecting rods so I was awfully happy I was able to do it myself for free. The first 1/2" diameter adjustment "pins" were made using mild steel and those got bent so I made new 1/2" diameter pins using grade 8 bolts. If they ever bend I'll just convert it to 5/8" grade 8 bolts. I don't use it very often but those few times when I do use it I'm very thankful I have it.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom